“A night in Liverpool” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Southport, United Kingdom
“A night in Liverpool”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 week ago

Booked a room at The Hope Street Hotel once again having stayed there last year. This hotel is of good quality and well run. The breakfasts are great and so are the rooms. It is located close to The Philamonic Hall and many other establishments. This makes it a convenient place for he various venues surrounding it.

• Stayed December 2016, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
Dear Chas K,

Thank you for your review and indeed we have many fantastic neighbours on the Liverpool must see list.

Best wishes, Mary C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Very well located hotel for theatres and restaurants / bars. Sizeable rooms which are well fitted out. Breakfast is served in the London Carriage Works which is adjacent. Good selection of food and well presented. Also has a nice bar but cocktails at £8.50 are pricey.

• Stayed January 2017, travelled on business
Dear 99PSB,

Thank you for your review. I hope you enjoyed the cocktails! Best Wishes, Mary C
Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Lovely hotel,staff,rooms,highly recommend.we were upgraded to a suite, maybe because it was a special birthday. Bit cold the first night but when I rang reception they couldn't do enough. Brought up a heater. The heating came on during the the night so fine for the next day. The only complaint I have was when I asked for unsmoked bacon with my poached eggs I was still served it and as I really hate it ,it spoiled my breakfast. The (young ) staff ( not the first time this has happened) really need to learn the difference between smoked and unsmoked bacon

Room Tip: We were on first floor, very quiet
  • Stayed January 2017, travelled as a couple
Dear bluecellio

Thank you for your lovely review and apologies for the hiccup at the start of your day.

Workington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We always enjoy staying at this hotel- this was our 3rd time- and this time we took the kids; check-in took quite a while owing to only one receptionist on the desk, and a queue was forming; when we finally got our room sorted, we had gotten a studio room and were pleasantly surprised upon entering our room that there was the usual king size bed, a single bed and then a double sofa bed! Unfortunately, the sofa bed had a thin, badly worn piece of soft foam lying on it where one could feel the entire metal bars and wooden slats from the bed underneath- it was really appalling. The staff as always, were very helpful and apologetic in exchanging it, after I requested another single bed instead- but I was left wondering if they really thought anybody could sleep upon such a thin foam piece at any time- awful for a hotel of this calibre. After that, we all settled down for a good nights kip- alas, this was not to be- the king bed was too firm- and I mean really firm, to the extent that both myself and my wife struggled to walk the next day- we both had serious lower back aches and had to take pain relief tablets to alleviate the soreness. I think they need to look at this as we love this hotel, but will think twice now before returning only due to the bed issue. One other thing, we were on the front of the hotel this time, 1st floor- and found it a bit more noisier than previously; upon reflection, with kids, a rear, quieter room would have been better for us. Not as impressed as previous stays, seem to have dropped their standards a bit unfortunately, which is a real shame. Many thanks.

Room Tip: We were on the front - bit noisier than usual. Beds were hard.
  • Stayed December 2016, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Always wanted to stay there as Annette Benning stayed there recently when she was filming and I am a sucker for smart new boutique hotels. This was a disappointment.
Check in was fine but the credit card machine didn't work. Nobody showed me to my room or offered to help with my luggage....only one lift working so wait was long. Room was tiny and dark overlooking a garden shed and scaffolding... Only two of the lights in the room were working instead of three and the tiny bathroom mirror light was not working either. The room was unbelievably hot with both a thermostat and an AC control neither of which seemed to work. The duvet on the bed was all crumpled and looked as if children had been jumping on it!
I told reception at 4 pm on the Friday about what didn't work in the room and went out.
When I got back at gone 11 I was told that the lights and heating couldn't be fixed because maintenance had gone home... but I could change my room... it was late - I was only there one night so didn't bother....

The room was so hot and the AC controls so contrary that I had to open all the windows at 300 am. After a hot and bad night's sleep I had cup of coffee from the complimentary tray. A COFFEE BAG!! It was like drinking washing up water.... truly shocking excuse for coffee. I needed a degree to understand the shower controls - no indication of on or off or hot or cold and needed a mountaineering certificate to get myself in and out of the bath / shower and dried myself with the postage stamp sized towels.... and attempted to put my make up on with no lighting
I then realised I had travelled with no hairbrush or comb so I phoned down to see if housekeeping or reception had one..... most five star hotels are used to catering for busy forgetful guests.... there was not one available.. but if I was really desperate. they would send somebody out to buy one for me..... I declined and protested that no first class hotel in the country would be without vanity kits.... ! I asked to see the manager who was too busy to see me..
I left at 10 am this morning feeling that I had certainly not had my £188 worth of service
And can't help wondering that if I wasn't a lady of an uncertain age travelling alone would the service had been better?

• Stayed December 2016, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear EstaCharkham,

We have been in private communication with you with our apologies and this is my public and sincere apology for the disappointment you experienced during your stay. We look forward to your return - and you can look forward to a Nespresso machine!

Best wishes, Mary
Wigston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Booked this hotel through Secret Escapes for a 'Twixmas' city break with another couple. We arrived early and were welcomed by very friendly reception staff and, as there was room, we were able to park in the hotel car park. Came back after an open top city bus tour, which you can get on very close to the hotel, and, even though the reception area was busy, it was all very calm and we had a very friendly and efficient check-in. Both rooms we had were really lovely, well equipped, large extremely comfortable bed, very clean and lovely refreshments (hot chocolate, proper coffee bags, all sorts of teas and luxury biscuits). Air conditioning worked very well to keep the room at a good temperature and was easily adjustable for more warmth or coolness.
Breakfast was wonderful and was ordered from a very varied menu, the poached eggs were just perfect. Staff, although very very busy at times, were very curtious and nothing was too much trouble for them. Second morning we went down a little later and people were waiting for tables which they cleared as quickly as they could and reset. We had no issue with waiting 5 minutes but some guests thought it was ok to just walk into the restaurant and try and sit down. As I could see, they removed these guests as curtiously as possible and asked them to wait as other guests were before them. Always a tricky situation and anyone who complains about this should be more understanding. Every time we walked back into the hotel after being out and about, we had a lovely warm welcome from all the staff. The bar staff where also wonderful. Was chatting on coming back late into the hotel after an evening out, and mentioned that I fancied a hot chocolate but we had used up the satchets in our room, two of the staff went off and came back with some more for us, I hadn't asked them to do that and thought that was lovely of them. So, on reading this, you may think that I am being overly 'gushy' about this hotel, but it really was a wonderful place to stay. It is perfectly situated for everything Liverpool has to offer but is also in a quiet area. I would recommend to anyone to have a city break in Liverpool and to stay here. 5 STAR *****

Room Tip: Our friends had a room on the 4th floor and had a great view over the Mersey.
  • Stayed December 2016, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Jane R
40Hope, Director at Hope Street Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Jane R,

Thank you for your perfect review and lovely recommendation, I shall pass everything on to the teams. I am sure you would get five star guest vote! Very Happy New Year and hope to welcome you all back soon.

Irby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had tickets booked for carols by candlelight at the Philharmonic. Reception was very friendly. Because the hotel was full there was no room upgrade available, but we were very pleased with the room, nice high ceilings, comfy king sized bed, and a spotless en suite. After the concert we returned to the bar and were served by attentive staff. Breakfast was good with helpful staff. Overall one of best hotels we've stayed in.

• Stayed December 2016, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chriscass2016
40Hope, Director at Hope Street Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear chriscass2016,

Thank you for your perfect review and good to hear you made a lovely night if it.