“Just go there...!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mello Mello - CLOSED

Mello Mello
Price range: US$4 - US$10
Cuisines: British, Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Drinks, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Nestled within the bustling arts hub of MelloMello, the Mello Kitchen is committed to creating delicious, healthy & hearty homemade veggie, vegan and gluten-free cuisine.But it’s not just for veggies; carnivores too will likely not turn up their noses from our big, rich, bubbling feta-topped lasagne or our huge garlic crusted portobello mushroom & halloumi burger or one of the ever-changing ‘curries of the day’ served with rice on a massive flatbread or just a homely sunday roast with a free beer or glass of wine.There’s also plenty for those in a hurry. Whilst most of our menu is available to take-away (in fully compostable packaging), we also offer a range of freshly made sandwiches, grilled ciabattas and a fresh daily mezze bar full of home-marinated olives, salads and dips.Or, if you’re being seduced by your sweet tooth, there’s a selection of homemade cakes, cookies, muffins, brownies, bites and other treats just willing you to eat them up. As with our savoury options, our sweets also come in vegan and gluten free varieties, so everybody is free to indulge.
liverpool
“Just go there...!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Being neither vegan or vegetarian, and happy to eat "normal" food, the decision to eat here was fuelled by all the great reviews, and what a good decision!

The food is simply delicious, I have now eaten here a number of times and instead of the same old things being rolled out I have found refreshed menus with new options each time. I have never eaten the same thing twice except maybe for the veggie breakfast.

Putting haloumi in with a veggie equivalent of a full English breakfast is inspired! I look forward to my occasional trip to "the city" and always save myself for breakfast at this place, with a cup of freshly brewed coffee

Lunch has always seen me take a hot option and the home made humous makes a regular appearance as a supplement to whatever I order. They do sandwiches, but never ventured there as the hot options always tempt me.

Only eaten here once in the evening, at a special event they laid on, and the food was simply outstanding!

Decor, OK, I know "quirky" has been mentioned a number of times here, and I agree.

Lots of beers, a great selection of quality whiskies too! You can sit at the bar and have a chat with the staff or sit at a table, read a book or your kindle and let an hour drift by easily.

Staff are great, chatty if you want them to be and passionate about the place. When it was under threat of closure ( I think it still is) i asked them for details and they simply love this bohemian little paradise, as do I...!

Not for everyone, but definitely for those who can't abide McDonalds or Starbucks...!

Go there!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank telbags

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I love this quirky little veggie bar/cafe - and I'm not a vegetarian. Went to this place twice with veggie friends who were visiting (they loved it) and I'll definitely be going back. The food is absolutely delicious, packed with flavour and very filling. I had the mushroom and halloumi burger and couldn't manage to clear my plate. Cosy atmosphere, friendly staff, great food and both drinks and food are very reasonably priced. It is a popular place so if you're planning on going with a large party I'd recommend booking a table through their website.

1 Thank Joanne M
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Wonderful gluten free food, I plan to go again, regularly.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

I need to eat gluten free and hate eating out, but Mello Mello provided excellent gluten free choices and offered sandwiches, meals and cakes gluten free. The soup I had was lovely and the gluten free cake fabulous made with fresh picked berries. Both courses tasted homemade and were very reasonably priced. The atmosphere was relaxed and the staff very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend Mello Mello for good quality food, well priced and a welcome change from franchises and predictable eating. It is hidden away, but pretty central and easy to get to. I plan to eat there again and very often. .

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jacqui D
United Kingdom
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Fab food and a great atmosphere. I had a cheese and onion chutney sandwich which was huge, oh so tasty and was great value for money. The staff were pleasant and friendly, the decor was really quirky and there was a nice feel to it. When I'm back in Liverpool I'll be going back to this place for sure.

1 Thank DriftAwayToday
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“So good we went twice in 24hrs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We were visiting Liverpool for just over 24hrs, a real flying visit. As ever being veggie and going to an unfamiliar place we do a lot of internet research, we found this café on both this site and laughing cow. Given the good reviews, plus the bonus it was a stones throw from our hotel it was a real no brainer.
We arrived on day one early and went straight to Tate Liverpool for an exhibition. We then booked into our hotel, the Novotel see my separate review, having been supplied with a reasonable map at the hotel we found our way quickly to this venue.
The first thing is ignore the exterior if you are used to "classy" places. We entered and were greeted by an amazing venue. The staff told us the story of how this had been basically a artists squat that had started selling coffees and gone from strength to strength. The staff also explained the mismatched furniture and décor, basically it is found, given etc. But the tables are very clean. Apparently the venue itself has been bought and sold on a couple of occasions but each time whatever plans the sellers have have fallen through. So it looks like the future of the café is never very stable but that does not in anyway impinge on the quality of the food and drink or the staffs enthusiasm for the place.
There is seating for about 20 with a small performance area at the back. As for food we had lunch on our first day. I had the most amazing lasagne and my partner had gnocchi. Both very of very high standard and my lasagne was a huge portion, the only downside being it left me so full I could not find space for some lovely looking bread pudding!! On the second day we went for breakfast, considering our hotel was asking some £13 for a cooked breakfast we had two veggie breakfasts which included veggie sausage x2, toast, beans, mushrooms cheese with coffee for just over that price. Plus it was all fresh and very well cooked.
We have made a mental note that if the venue is still going, which if there is any justice it will be, when we next visit Liverpool we will visit again.

1 Thank Mark B