“Homely place to stay”

Ranked #9 of 77 Liverpool B&B and Inns
Essex
“Homely place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

This b+b is a very clean, homely place to stay. The owner Sue is very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. I would definitely stay here again and will recommend The Avenue to friends visiting Liverpool. Thank you Sue for a memorable stay. Tricia

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank alwaysonthemoveEssex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Hunter Valley NSW Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

I booked 3 of the rooms at this very tasteful and comfortable B & B. My sister and her husband had the upstairs room which was large and had an extra single bed in it. My husband and I took the room that used the bathroom just across the half way - this was not a problem and the bathrooom was very spacious. Our room had a little balcony over looking the garden and green fields beyond. My brother and his wife, the other double room with ensuite. The location is easy to find and we parked our car in the front yard, quite secure. The area is very upmarket - full of other beautiful carefully tended homes which makes it a pleasant and safe area to visit and walk around in. We walked (maybe 15 mins) to a huge supermarket to grab some wine and snacks. We walked a bit further and came to a main street where we posted some letters and had lunch in a pub. Looking back now I think we were in the Penny Lane area (which we visited the next day on a Beatles tour). We walked in the opposite direction that night for tea in another pub. Very nice pub style food, good price and enough variety on the menu to even make a fussier eater like me happy. So don't be concerned about not being in town, there are places within walking distance for dinner and we found a cab into town extremely easy to arrange and quite reasonable. And if you want the bus stop is just a minute up the road. Very easy to catch and regular times. both my husand and my brother and his wife used the bus to town and they all thought it was simple, inexpensive and easy to use and quick. I think only about 10 15 mins but Sue will help you with all the advice on the bus system. The benefits we received by staying out of town (the quiet, better price, getting to sample a bit of local lifestyle,good value meals, far out weighed not being in the city.) and honestly I am not sure of why you would want to necessarily stay in town only - particularly if you are travellers wanting to visit and enjoy what Liverpool has to offer. Sue puts on a very hearty breakfast - bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, as much as you want and cooked at the time you choose. the dining and sitting room area is very lovely. Us girls spent a couple hours relaxing, reading and using the free internet whilst the men folk visited the submarine museum. We felt very welcome in Sue's house. now Sue - well she is a character, full of life and led a very interesting life. She loves people and her enjoyment in what she now does for a living is obvious. We had a bit of a problem with one of our tours whilst here. i had arranged for a Beatles private tour on our second day and we were to be picked up from the house. Well the time came and went and we were still there. I made a call finally (don't like to be too pushy) and was dismayed to learn they had lost my booking - well it took a bit to get to that point even. Well Sue was amazing. She was genuinely concerned and helped us sort out the problem. When it looked like we were going to be stuck without a tour she made some calls to friends and suddenly we had a solution. i doubt I could have managed such a quick resolution to the problem without her assistance. We were also going to visit the Casbah on the tour and when Sue found this out she insisted on making sure we received the best tour guide for this - she is friends with the Bests! She helped make my families visit to Liverpool truly memorable. And there is quite a lot to do in this city - give it more than an overnight visit, and do consider staying here, i certainly would again.

Room Tip: I liked the room at the very top of the house
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Suz003
Tipton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Me and my wife usually stay in hotels for anywhere we go, after reading the reviews of the avenue we decided to give it a go. How very glad we did!! Spotlessly clean, very welcoming, very spacious. On arrival we were given a set of keys to our room, and to the house so we could come and go as we please. We stayed in the attic room which was spotless and very spacious. The owner Sue was amazing throughout!! The breakfast was brilliant, and a very good choice. Staggered times are good so you don't have to eat in front of strangers. If you are visiting Liverpool, this is the place to stay!! If we are ever in Liverpool we will be staying here again!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MassRef
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay if you're visiting Liverpool. Here's why: 1) Sue (the owner) is AMAZING!! Friendly, accommodating, gracious, easy to talk to and great cook!! 2) gorgeous (and spotlessly clean) home; 3) beautiful, comfy well-appointed room 4) VERY quiet; 5) very close to transportation into the city; 6) an easy walk to neighborhood restaurants and 7) -- for Beatles fans only -- her neighbor is Pete Best's brother! Sue can hook you up with a personal tour of the Casbah Club, a WONDERFUL place to go to see where it all began for the Fab Four.

Serious -- the Casbah tour is not to be missed for anyone who is a real Beatles fan. Not to be missed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Carole611
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

This is the second time we have been to The Avenue and will always be our first choice B&B to stay when we visit our Son at University. Lovely comfortable room and great breakfast. Sue makes you very welcome.

Kevin and Linda from Bristol

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

My husband and I came to Liverpool to celebrate my 50th birthday, which was so much fun. We stayed at The Avenue for two nights in the Garden Room and all I can say is Fabulous. The room is so so lovely, the house itself wonderful, spotlessley clean, very stylish and homely. The breakfasts are terrific. Sue was absolutely amazing, she made my birthday even more memorable. On the morning of my birthday I came down to a 'Happy Birthday' banner in the breakfast room, how lovely is that. I just want to say thankyou Sue, we had the most amazing time and you are a really special lady, and I shall never forget my birthday made even nicer by all the lovely things you did and said. xx

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jacquelyn d
Ipswich, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

We had a terrific time at the Avenue B&B. Our host Sue was wonderful, friendly and informative. The location is great, right on the bus route into town, and walking distance to several shops, pubs and a great, cheap place (Carvery) where it is possible to get a roast meal for under 5 pounds. Very comfortable beds, and quiet. Sue went out of her way to help us when one of our tours did not arrive and helped us sort it out. All up excellent.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family