“What you'd expect from a city cafe...”
Review of City Cafe

City Cafe
Ranked #288 of 1,814 Restaurants in Liverpool
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Amazing staff and cheap but tasty English breakfast. Could definitely improve on their coffee but its ideal after a big night in town.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Came here on the off chance as we were staying just down the road at Premier Inn and fancied something filling. Saw the reviews on here and it seemed ok so we walked down. From outside it looks a bit plain and insignificant to be honest but looked clean enough so we went in. It was quite empty, with just one gentleman at the rear drinking a hot drink. We were shown to a table that was too small so the waitress pulled another table to ours to make it a four seater. As we were a family of 3 it was quite suitable once pulled together. The menu was a laminated sheet and the tablecloth was a plastic wipe-clean one with a couple of crumbs around the pot of sugar sachets. I am a vegetarian so opted for the scrambled egg on toast but asked for baked beans to be added as there was no option for the duo option on the menu. The waitress said this is no problem so I was quite happy. My partner and daughter opted for full English breakfasts.

We ordered drinks which came almost straight away. Orange juice, Sprite and a coffee. I got quite a large bottle of OJ with a glass so this lasted through the duration of my breakfast.

When the breakfasts came a short while later, I had got 4 triangles of nicely done toast with butter on and plenty of eggs and beans (beans were in a pot on the plate). My partner and daughter had quite a large portion of each item on their plate and happily tucked in.

I was quite impressed, everything was offered in a timely manner, well cooked and hot. Quite tasty too. the murals on the wall were an interesting touch, as they kept us entertained for a good half an hour and the whole place had a relaxed feel abut it which is nice on such a busy street.

The bill came to £16 for the 3 drinks and 3 breakfasts and as we all left full and satisfied I can 'forgive' the little touches that normally would have spoiled an eating experience..ie the crumbs on the table, plastic menu, plastic checked tablecloths etc, as the City Cafe would look so much better without them. But on staff and food side, I cannot fault them. The only 'mini-moan' from my partner and daughter was that there were no baked beans in the full English but could be added as a chargeable extra. Other than these little things I was impressed enough to eat there again and will return next time we are in Liverpool early next year.

A nice little retreat on an otherwise busy street.

1  Thank harps777
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Although I had passed the City Cafe several times going to and from work I never had the time to pop in. But now work is behind me and I found myself looking for a quick lunch I remembered the reviews of the Cafe. They weren't wrong. The food was fresh, filling and tasty. The bacon sarnie was delicious and the cup of tea was huge, so it was washed down beautifully. The radio was tuned to Jazz FM which suited me and the volume was just right, I could hear it but still talk comfortably across the table. The price was right and matched the food, So all said I'll be back to enjoy the food, the music and to study the murals again, I'm sure there is more to be found in them.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed at the Premier Inn just round the corner (who charge £8.95 for breakfast) and had read about the City Cafe which does cooked breakfasts for £3.95 at weekends and before 10.30 am. We'd defintely recommend this as a place to go for a light meal or breakfast. Our cooked breakfasts were filling, used good quality ingredients, were tasty and drinks were reasonably priced. The service was friendly too. The interior is cheerful and informal...all in all a great little cafe and one to recommend.

1  Thank bootie03
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Myself and friends were staying in the Premier Inn nearby and stumbled across City Cafe looking for lunch - good prices for what we had and the food was nice. However, one of our group did find a hair in her food and instead of being cooked a new one, it was brought back out just with the hair taken off! Not good - however, a fresh one was cooked and apologies made and we gave them the benefit of the doubt and came back for breakfast on our final morning in Liverpool and the breakfast was lovely and at such a good price!

1  Thank jadeypie