“Good stay in a house of great character”

and 1 more site!
Elegant House Liverpool B&B
Ranked #5 of 71 Liverpool B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Good stay in a house of great character”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Lovely guest house close to Liverpool's Lark Lane and Sefton Park. A little bit far from town centre, but taxis are cheap. John was a great host and provided an amazing breakfast. Rooms are very large with comfortable beds. Bathroom had amazing showers.

I did have a few problems with payment as I hadn't realised I received an invoice from Paypal, I thought it was a receipt!

Room Tip: Remember to pay the Paypal invoice!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dominic G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
phoenix
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Our trip led us through Liverpool for a few days, and nearly every place I looked at prior to booking had comments to the point of "oh yeah, it's loud, but what can you do"...except for this one. And in fact, it was very quiet while we were there: the bedroom we stayed in was on the first (not ground) floor, facing the street, and there was little noise to speak of.

What we liked:
- Good price. There are cheaper places, but, post-university, I hesitate to stay in them anymore.
- Room size. Ours was just right, on the larger side of things as England goes.
- Location. 5-10 minutes cab to Lime St. Station, 5 minute walk to Teisco & buses going straight into the city center, Princes Park right out the front door (and Sefton Park pretty much next to that), 15-20 minute walk to Lark Lane (some good restaurants).
- Breakfast. I was glad that it wasn't a fry-up, as we had that in the other B&Bs we stayed in; instead, it was a good change - the fresh squeezed juice a nice touch, with excellent locally-made bread. And filling, to boot.
- the atmosphere at breakfast. This is a more difficult thing to describe, but in all the places we stayed on our trip, this was the only one that truly had that B&B feel of community, the kind where you expect to meet interesting other people staying there and to feel like you're all part of the same extended family. That doesn't quite capture it, but whatever "it" is, it is a large part of what makes Elegant House special.
- John (the host). You know, every one of the reviews of this place mentions something about him, and for good reason - he either knows something good to suggest, or knows someone who does, he went out of his way to assist us when we needed it (finding us a nearby dry cleaner and calling to see if they would do pick up/delivery, for example), and he seems eager to hear everyone else's experiences, both with things he's suggested and those (presumably) that could end up as good recommendations to others.

What we thought could be improved:
- bathroom description. We did have a private bathroom, and it was adjacent to, not literally within, the room we stayed in. This wasn't a big deal, it really wasn't even inconvenient, and it's maybe more indicative of my own expectations that turn into assumptions, that it never occurred to me that it could be that way. So, rather than expecting major construction, perhaps the wording can be made more clear.
- signage. At the time we stayed there was no external signage, which, in combination with (again) my own assumption that there would be some sort of signpost and Booking.com's furnishing of not-the-entire address of the place, led to us wandering up and down the street for a few minutes before asking someone nearby, who was kind enough to assist us. At the time, John was deliberating between whether or not to have outside signage, and I think we've decided where to cast our vote: yes to a sign. **Note this is indicative of May 2013, this may or may not have changed since.

You know, this place isn't a soulless, corporate, human container (there are plenty of those in the city center); it is, just like the other reviewer said, "...quirky and different, in a good way". We agree. People gave us the dog-like confused look whenever we said we would be staying in Liverpool for part of our trip, but we're very glad we did.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gabriel_syme
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I loved the big spacious room with a single bed which I used and a spare double bed. I had to mention the single bed because it was so exceptionally comfortable with a mattress just right for my back. I had the best sleep. John the host was very knowledgeable and happy to share all sorts of local and interesting information. The breakfast was absolutely wonderful and I have even tried out the special Swiss juice muesli with almond on my return home. The place was very clean and well looked after. Oh before I forget, I could not find a door bell on my arrival and I called John on my mobile to let him know that I had arrived. Should I have to go back to Liverpool I definitely would try to get accommodation at Elegant House again.

Monika

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank reallygoodforsure
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stayed there last April and had the loveliest stay ever. Less than 10 minutes by bus from the city centre (5-7 by cab, not expensive), it is a beautiful big house located in a quiet neighbourhood. Our room (on the first floor) was simply a dream: a huge and comfortable bed, wooden furniture, high ceilings, a perfect decoration and a huge window overlooking a peaceful street. I loved the room, all coral and white painted. We were also welcomed by a teapot, clean towels and John, the owner, who was really helpful, providing us handmade maps that spotted the best places to discover in Liverpool and public transport intineraries. He also was the perfect host advising us some different places to visit, such as the bombed-out church and Alma de Cuba.

Breakfast was delicious, Absolutely amazing. It is served in the large kitchen dining-room open into the terraced garden: muesli, yoghurt, toasts, butter, cheese, smoked salmon, preserves, tea, coffee, homemade orange juice and luncheon meats straight from local farmers to us. Everything is home-cooked. We only shared the bathroom with the opposite room. It was big, very clean and the shower unit was really comfortable. John provided us clean towels when arriving at the hotel and there are shower gel and shampoo inside the room.
There is also a TV room with films, books, Internet and a comfortable couch.

I was so sad when leaving Liverpool and John's place. We're coming back!
Greetings to Mr. Wendy! :)

________

Nos alojamos en Elegant House en abril de este año. Está situada en un barrio tranquilo a solo 10 minutos en bus del centro (5-7 en taxi, no son caros). Cuando vi nuestra habitación (primera planta a la izquierda) no me lo creía: es enorme y la cama grande y cómoda. Muebles de madera, techos altos, una decoración magnífica y un ventanal con bonitas vistas del barrio, Me encantaron los colores tan alegres de la habitación: estaba pintada de coral y blanco. También hay toallas recién planchadas y una tetera por si te apetece tomar algo. John, el dueño, fue de gran ayuda. Nos recibió con mapas que había hecho a mano y nos comentó sitios donde ir (como la iglesia bombardeada o el Alma de Cuba) e itinerarios de transporte que seguir.

El desayuno estaba delicioso.Me encantó. Se sirve en el comedor de la cocina, que tiene vistas al jardín: zumo de naranja natural, té, café, tostadas, cereales, fresas, mermelada, compota de manzana recién hecha...Además, John había pasado por el mercado local y había traído embutidos, salmón y queso. Todo natural y casero.
El baño es compartido, pero en nuestro caso solo con la habitación de enfrente. Es muy grande, está limpísimo y el plato ducha es muy cómodo. John nos dio toallas cuando llegamos y en la habitación hay gel y champú. Hay también una sala de TV e Internet llena de libros y películas.
Me costó despedirme de Liverpool y de Elegant House. ¡Volveré!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Just stayed here for a night with my boyfriend to go to a gig at the Philharmonic and for general sightseeing. The owner could not be more helpful, with loads of knowledge about interesting things to see nearby. The room was huge and the whole guesthouse was quirky and different, in a good way. Breakfast was good with a limitless supply! Good location too, a 2 minute drive from the centre and bus stops round the corner. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This is well-named as Elegant House: the building and decor are sympathetic, the food is very well prepared and elegantly served. John was courteous and welcoming. The house is situated in a very quiet area which is still pretty close to interesting parts of Liverpool.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Nice place, well located in a quiet quarter, five minutes from the city centre by taxi.

I went to the Elegant house for one night with my parents, we had a nice welcome. The rooms are nicely decorated where we can take a cup of tea.
When we came there, my bathroom was being built, but it will be nice. I did be able to use the shower.

The breakfast was ABSOLUTELY great! We had tea or coffe, good toast (with bread from a good baker), cottage cheese with muesli, prune. Then we ate serrano ham, slices of salmon and cheese, poached pear and a traditional cake.

Room Tip: All the floors are nice! (I was on the fisrt floor and my parents on the ground floor)
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family