“Postcode honey and stories for breakfast”

and 1 more site!
Elegant House Liverpool B&B
Ranked #5 of 71 Liverpool B&B and Inns
Brighton, UK
“Postcode honey and stories for breakfast”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I got lost on my way to Elegant House and ended up in Liverpool's Chinatown. It is possible to walk to this B&B from Lime Street station, but I would thoroughly recommend taking a bus - there are lots going in that direction - and it may save you having to flag down a cab like me! That said, once I had been armed with John’s excellent maps (tourist and hand-drawn), getting to the Tate by foot the next morning was no problem at all.

Elegant House has been open as a B&B since October 2012, and parts of it are still being adapted. The downstairs bedrooms and bathroom seem more finished in terms of decoration than the upstairs rooms. My upstairs bathroom was still waiting for its mirror, bathmat and soap. Yes, soap!

However, the unique selling point of Elegant House is not its quirky fixtures and fittings, but the sheer exuberance of its host and his consummate skill in preparing the best, most unusual breakfast I’ve ever tasted. Gorgeous bread with ‘postcode’ honey – yes, there’s a story that goes with that! A pear poached in red wine. Granola and muesli soaked in apple juice, yoghurt, melon, lychees, fresh cherries, relishes – and if I’d wanted them: eggs, smoked salmon, ham – the list goes on! John is a perfectly charming host, a fund of information and stories. I won’t tell you any of them, because I believe you need to stay at Elegant House to hear them for yourself.

Room Tip: Even though the downstairs rooms have to share a bathroom, at time of writing (July 2013) they are c...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank hittheroadjac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2013

A great location with short bus ride to Liverpool One. An enthusiastic host, John was very helpful in assisting us with information about Liverpool's attractions. He served a fresh breakfast that was one of the best we have had during our stay in the UK.
Large room in the early stages of decoration.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angelo D
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I have spent 2 nights at Elegant House Liverpool B&B, The place is close to the city center about 20 min walking but the path to city has a lot of interesting thing to see. the place is very lovely and clean and tidy.John was a nice host and I really loved his breakfast its the best Breakfast I have ever had in B&B. The Room s are another story, they are very big and very clean and tidy and nice beds.

I recommend Every one to go there and try the Breakfast :)

Amad Tababa

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emad_Tababa
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

John who owns the place obviously enjoys having guests and this is reflected in the attention to detail and effort he puts in to ensuring you enjoy your stay.

Rooms - great, huge

Shared bathroom - good, could do with a bar of soap so you don't have to bring your own

Breakfast - exceptionally good. Continental of the highest quality, e.g. Quality deli items such as smoked salmon, salami, fresh ciabatta, literally hand squeezed orange juice, nice coffee etc. I'm sure he would supply you with anything you requested as well

Location - a two minute walk to a busy street where I didn't wait longer than two minutes for a bus directly into the city centre

John supplys a hand drawn map which I used every day and was very useful.

On the whole brilliant and I could stay months here

I left my bank cards in the room and John phoned me within 30 mins of leaving, saving me a headache.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Patrick B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Lovely guest house close to Liverpool's Lark Lane and Sefton Park. A little bit far from town centre, but taxis are cheap. John was a great host and provided an amazing breakfast. Rooms are very large with comfortable beds. Bathroom had amazing showers.

I did have a few problems with payment as I hadn't realised I received an invoice from Paypal, I thought it was a receipt!

Room Tip: Remember to pay the Paypal invoice!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dominic G
phoenix
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Our trip led us through Liverpool for a few days, and nearly every place I looked at prior to booking had comments to the point of "oh yeah, it's loud, but what can you do"...except for this one. And in fact, it was very quiet while we were there: the bedroom we stayed in was on the first (not ground) floor, facing the street, and there was little noise to speak of.

What we liked:
- Good price. There are cheaper places, but, post-university, I hesitate to stay in them anymore.
- Room size. Ours was just right, on the larger side of things as England goes.
- Location. 5-10 minutes cab to Lime St. Station, 5 minute walk to Teisco & buses going straight into the city center, Princes Park right out the front door (and Sefton Park pretty much next to that), 15-20 minute walk to Lark Lane (some good restaurants).
- Breakfast. I was glad that it wasn't a fry-up, as we had that in the other B&Bs we stayed in; instead, it was a good change - the fresh squeezed juice a nice touch, with excellent locally-made bread. And filling, to boot.
- the atmosphere at breakfast. This is a more difficult thing to describe, but in all the places we stayed on our trip, this was the only one that truly had that B&B feel of community, the kind where you expect to meet interesting other people staying there and to feel like you're all part of the same extended family. That doesn't quite capture it, but whatever "it" is, it is a large part of what makes Elegant House special.
- John (the host). You know, every one of the reviews of this place mentions something about him, and for good reason - he either knows something good to suggest, or knows someone who does, he went out of his way to assist us when we needed it (finding us a nearby dry cleaner and calling to see if they would do pick up/delivery, for example), and he seems eager to hear everyone else's experiences, both with things he's suggested and those (presumably) that could end up as good recommendations to others.

What we thought could be improved:
- bathroom description. We did have a private bathroom, and it was adjacent to, not literally within, the room we stayed in. This wasn't a big deal, it really wasn't even inconvenient, and it's maybe more indicative of my own expectations that turn into assumptions, that it never occurred to me that it could be that way. So, rather than expecting major construction, perhaps the wording can be made more clear.
- signage. At the time we stayed there was no external signage, which, in combination with (again) my own assumption that there would be some sort of signpost and Booking.com's furnishing of not-the-entire address of the place, led to us wandering up and down the street for a few minutes before asking someone nearby, who was kind enough to assist us. At the time, John was deliberating between whether or not to have outside signage, and I think we've decided where to cast our vote: yes to a sign. **Note this is indicative of May 2013, this may or may not have changed since.

You know, this place isn't a soulless, corporate, human container (there are plenty of those in the city center); it is, just like the other reviewer said, "...quirky and different, in a good way". We agree. People gave us the dog-like confused look whenever we said we would be staying in Liverpool for part of our trip, but we're very glad we did.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gabriel_syme
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I loved the big spacious room with a single bed which I used and a spare double bed. I had to mention the single bed because it was so exceptionally comfortable with a mattress just right for my back. I had the best sleep. John the host was very knowledgeable and happy to share all sorts of local and interesting information. The breakfast was absolutely wonderful and I have even tried out the special Swiss juice muesli with almond on my return home. The place was very clean and well looked after. Oh before I forget, I could not find a door bell on my arrival and I called John on my mobile to let him know that I had arrived. Should I have to go back to Liverpool I definitely would try to get accommodation at Elegant House again.

Monika