“Rooms are too small” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Troon,Scotland
“Rooms are too small”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Stayed here last week,and we really enjoyed our short trip to Liverpool.
Unfortunately the hotel was not for us,and I would not go back.
Excellent friendly staff,great location ,and a large tv with all the sky channels.Really good bathroom.
Now for the negatives
We are both in our 60s,and had to climb over one another to get into the bed as it was tight against the wall.No cupboards,and nowhere to put your clothes away.Two small drawers,one which was taken up with the hair dryer and no chair to sit on.I like to try and keep room tidy,but it was impossible to do this in the cramped room.
Housekeeping did not come till late afternoon.On our last day we went out at 9am and returned at 3.30pm,and room had still not been cleaned.Girl turned up about 4pm,but we were too tired to go back out so we told girl not to bother cleaning.Was the same the day before,though not just as late.
This hotel would be ideal for singles or young couples.If you travel with even a small amount of luggage,I would forget it as there is just no space to put anything away

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jkd41

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Location and style was it is a pretty good place. I have stayed many times in different hotels in Liverpool as i often travel here for work and also to catch up with my family. Can do a little bit more on customer service front and detail on the cleanliness can give them higher grading here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Thanks to all for being a major part of the wonderful experience of getting married in Liverpool. Encouraged to enjoy ourselves and relax. (Special thanks to young George.) This place has everything and even the gannets were happy and friendly. Thanks again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Keith T
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Apparently this hotel in an old office block has only been open since April 2013, but credit to the designers for putting together exactly what the visitor needs:
- a basic but modern room with a comfortable bed
- excellent wet room shower (although you have to know your partner well as it's a glass cubicle with only lower frosted modesty screening!)
- excellent toiletries and towels that don't feel like cardboard
- the usual tea/cofee making facilities
- Freeview TV plus SKY
- free WIFI (with no strings!)
- decent continental or English breakfast options in the foyer cafe
- free wine and cheese in the early evening (but watch out for the gannets who use it as a meal opportunity)
- concession rate on city centre parking if you drive there
- competitive B/B rate
- close to everything including the Albert Docks area

A no frills stay but good quality. Makes Travel Lodges look like something from the past.

Room Tip: The windows in those rooms that have them are sealed so all the ventilation is via internal systems...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BiggerAl
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Visited the hotel on a work trip and on first impressions the hotel was good, small but very modern room everything I needed for one night. Then I turned on the tv only to find the person in the room before had been watching po rn the night before, not only did I feel sick knowing what had happened in my room but I cannot believe the tv isn't re-set onto a standard channel. Next I go to get in the bed have to sweep away a dust bunny on the floor then pick short black hairs off the top of the bed. When I pulled the cover back there was also a long curly hair on the pillow yuck! I have complained and after a very defensive email have been offered a free stay but live in London so obviously won't be benefiting from this maybe they should have offered a stay across the estate and they may not have lost a customer.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Emlondon_10
Jane M, General Manager at Z Hotel Liverpool, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Hello Emma,
I am the General Manager at Z Liverpool who responded to your email complaint. I want to assure you that I did follow up on your complaint after you emailed me and as promised I put into place procedures so that TV channels were changed to the News by housekeeping. We also have asked housekeepers to check carefully for hairs after they made the bed..
I'm sorry I cannot offer you a free night in London as you stated in your review -due to our London hotels being operated by a different management company . The offer still stands of a complimentary stay in Z Liverpool.
Once again sincere apologies for the upset this has caused you and thank you for taking the time to register your review.
Kind Regards
Jane Moss
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Stayed here over the busy bank holiday weekend and I cannot praise the hotel and the staff highly enough. Very nice rooms and great location. Emma, the manageress, was always on hand and extremely helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank GlasgowCross
Weaverham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

I have never felt the need to review a hotel before, but feel this is certainly one worth mentioning! I stayed here with my partner a few weeks ago visiting my daughter. Despite her attending university in Liverpool she had never even heard of Z Hotel but could not believe how 'cool' this little hotel was. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist with fantastic vibrant blue hair! We were given clear directions to the car park and were even offered recommendations for things to see and do in the city. She advised we had just missed their complimentary wine and cheese which is served every evening but offered wine and nibbles anyway, which was a really lovely gesture. All of the staff in fact were brilliant during our stay, always smiling with a great sense of humour and nothing was too much trouble for them. This hotel has a very unique concept and the staff to match!
The rooms, although small, were perfectly done. Immaculately clean and the beds are very comfortable. We didn't have a window in our room, which I was a bit dubious about at first but it turned out it wasn't an issue at all. My only small complaint was the air conditioning system not working properly but aside from that I can not fault this place. The reception area is the cafe and bar and the staff are just brilliant. We will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family