“Great location but rather basic and charmless for £110 a night”
Review of Z Hotel Liverpool

Z Hotel Liverpool
Ranked #18 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
London, United Kingdom
“Great location but rather basic and charmless for £110 a night”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights at the Z hotel Liverpool because of all the great reviews it had gotten in its first six months. When we arrived the heating and TV weren't working but as soon as I called reception someone came and fixed these problems. The rooms are very minimalist - to the point of being charmless and characterless in my mind - but very modern and functional. For £110 a night I think it was too much - if it has been around £70 I would say good value for money. Location cannot be beaten - near shopping district and all the sights, a 2 min walk from Hard Days night hotel which charges twice as much. Worth the location but go for a cheaper room, perhaps without a window.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Staff friendly and helpful. Asked for an iron and ironing board and one was brought to room. there is only ine plug socket which was placed awkwardly at the end of the bed.
We had in inside room and it got very stuffy after using the shower.
As said ok for one night.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed one night at this centrally located hotel. Truly one night is all you could do in such a dinky little room. The lavatory and shower are in a glass box – so no room for being shy, the wardrobe is a coat stand complete with hangers!

We drew straws for who climbed across the bed and slept next to the window so the Z is not an ideal hotel for those of more mature years who may be caught short during the night!

That said it cost us only £72 for the night. The reception staff were all cheery scousers – who were eager to make you feel welcome and comfortable.

The Z is a budget hotel with a splash of flair and well worth a visit for a one night stay!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Bad start to my stay - when I got to my room somebody else was already staying there! After a trip back to reception, I got a key to my second room. Got to my second room to find the power wasn't working! Thankfully my third room was fine. Apart from this I had a relatively enjoyable stay.

1 Thank murphy1688
Cornwall
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My boyfriend & I stayed on 24th Sept for 3 nights & rate this the best hotel & service we have ever had anywhere..a lot of this was down to the quirky staff ( Helen & Mark especially) who were very helpful advising us on the best places to go, nothing was too much bother for them. Loved our trendy room & perfect location with everything on our doorstep. We were just a step away from Liverpool one & the Docks! Most comfy bed ever,fluffy clean towels,hairdryer,gorgeous toiletries, whacky wet room,tea/coffee & bottled water facilities in room. Every evening between 5 - 8pm they offered complimentary cheese & wine to guests which was such a special touch. Overall I highly recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. I won't be staying anywhere else in Liverpool after this stay!! Lou & Jason

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HanSamCornwall
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had an inside room which on the whole I don't mind. As previously stated they are rather small though and the 'bathroom' is nothing more than a giant frosted glass cubicle in your room which has a wet room shower and loo. Therefore with privacy at a virtual zero pick your travel companion carefully based on how embarrasing it would be if they heard you in there. Pack light too as the 'hanging space' is just that, a coat hook with a couple of pegs. The wine and cheese was of a better than expected quality for a freebie and unlimited if you were so minded. On the whole I'd rate here good value, modern, clean and so close to Cavern quarter you can't go wrong. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank durhamjohn123
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for one night on 3rd October. We were really impressed. We only paid £70 for one night, which is pretty cheap for Liverpool city centre. I've stayed in a few hotels in Liverpool and I'd definitely return here.

Great location, literally 5 minutes walk from Liverpool One and right next to Mathew Street etc. We booked a queen room which was exactly what we needed for one night - if you were staying for a few nights it might be a bit too small. Very clean, decent bathroom, good view. We also heard hardly any noise from the surrounding rooms which is always a good thing! The only issue we had with our room was that there was only one plug socket, which was annoying.

The complimentary cheese and wine in the evening was really nice, and sets this hotel apart from others in the area.

I'd definitely return if I needed a cheap, decent hotel right next to the city centre.

I have no idea why so many people are complaining about the size of the rooms - the hotel markets itself as having small, compact, space-saving rooms. If you don't like small rooms don't choose a hotel that states clearly on its website that its rooms are small!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple