“Perfect”

Ranked #18 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

I needed to pop to Liverpool to obtain a new passport and logistically it didn't make sense driving 2 hours in the morning to get to a 7.45am appointment.

The hotel is modern and quirky. I booked direct and paid £36 for a room with no window.

Firstly, I can't see why anyone would have any issues with staying in a modern and comfortable room that does not have any windows.

The air con works very well and the bed is very very firm, thankfully that's my preference. There is a big TV with all sky channels and there is Tea and Coffee facilities.

The wet room / shower room is separated by obscure glass and sits perfectly in the corner of the room.

Check in was painless, yes you do walk into a cafe / reception but who cares, everyone there either works at Z Hotel or has done the exact same thing !!!!

Order breakfast the night before and you get a £1 discount and ask about parking as you get a discount ticket for the nearby NCP car park..

If you are a solo person, sales rep and even a couple who a comfortable with each other don't bother looking at anywhere else - seriously !!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Very nice hotel but unfortunately there are a few issues that prevent me from staying here again. The room design and the staff are great but I arrived before my partner to check-in and in our room the desk was pulled out to the middle exposing tv receiver cables and the receiver box unplugged. Rather than tell the front desk, I decided to just plug everything back in and move the desk back against the wall, however the tv now said there was no signal. As my partner would like the TV working I informed reception who sent someone up, she failed to get the receiver working, apparently the desk pulled out was due to maintenance trying to fix it as the no-signal problem was apparently a common issue.
She moved me into a bigger room which was great with a working TV. Myself and my partner loved the glass shower room and wonderful view. However there are a few issues with this hotel, for us the bed is too firm and duvet too thick so both of us were extremely hot and uncomfortable, even though it was a cold night in August. Also the thermostat doesn't work. I tried to lower the temperature in the middle of the night but I since discovered its one of those setups where the temperature is controlled by the hotel, this wasn't made clear initially so little point in having a controllable thermostat if its going to go back to its original temperature after a short time.
Theres also a slight problem communicating with the hotel afterwards, I emailed via the website but the given address info@thezhotels.com appears to be unmanned or I was ignored so I resent the email to specific hotel addresses and got a response, I asked if the bed and heating specification is the same across all zhotels or if there are variations, as I noted this was a new hotel. The response appeared to reference a completely different enquiry about the glass en-suite and room size?! I assume those must be common complaints and it appeared an automated response by accident? I responded to clarify that my enquiry was nothing to do with that, in fact we both loved the glass en-suite and room sizes. They finally responded to explain that the beds are the same accross all zhotels and the room temperature is set by the hotel although you can contact the front desk to tell them to adjust this. Theres no phone in the room so this is another issue, when you wake up boiling you have to physically leave the room in the middle of the night to talk to someone. Apparently nothing I raised can be fixed by the hotel so I left it there.
All a bit of a shame really, I would have loved to have made the zhotels my regular stop as we are frequent hotel users in both London and Liverpool for our work. All that is good about the hotel is ruined by the lack of temperature control, slightly poor email response system and beds too firm. If you could adjust the thickness of the duvet by having seperate layers it may not be so bad but really is far too thick.
If they could sort these issues out this would be an amazing hotel for both couples and business travellers but with all the aethetics aside, one of the most important aspects of a hotel for me is comfort and theres no point booking any hotel if it doesn't let you get a nights sleep. So regrettably im now looking for a hotel chain just like the zhotel, but not the zhotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mikez888
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights early in January. I booked it last minute through the internet and paid around £75 for two nights (midweek). As the room I booked had no windows,I thought I was going to be disappointed but wasn't at all.

The staff on the desk were very courteous & helpful with information regarding on street parking. (Free from 6pm to 8am) & also invited me to complimentary cheese & wine the following evening.

The room I stayed in was great value. The bed was very comfy & the tv was much more than I expected for the price. Shower room perfect and for a person just staying there for business/travel for a few days it's the perfect location.

Would definitely stay again & recommended to all

Thanks
Dom

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Scousedom
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

. My wife and i stayed for 2 nights Friday & Saturday. We traveled by train to Liverpool and had no problem finding the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel we were not sure if we had entered a cafe or the reception area it is quite small as it is also the bar and breakfast area,however the excellent staff took good care of us and we were checked in and in our room within a few minuets. We did book a room with a window and it was different to any room we had stayed in before. It was quite small but very clean and tidy and very modern it had a double bed a small bedside table with a couple of draws with a mirror, a kettle with tea and coffee. There was a small place under the bed for our small case , to hang your clothes there was a tree type thing with coat hangers and 4 branches.
The wet room was of clouded glass panels with sliding doors, loo first with sink and vanity unit then shower cubical.This hotel is ideal for a couple of nights stay. It had air con controlled in the room and a wall mounted large t.v with all the sky channels. We where on the top floor and had a bit of noise from the fans on the roof but nothing to keep us awake.When we checked in we were told that between 5 and 8 there was free wine and cheese which sampled on the first night and found it very nice. Breakfast was very good with a choice of full English or continental. We were very well looked after by the staff who were all very friendly and helpful. One comment about the room only a minor one as it was January we had winter clothes and coats it would have been good if there had been a coat hook on the back of the door to hang our heavier coats. The hotel is situated very close to the center of the city it was only a couple of minutes or so walk to Matthew Street the home of the Cavern Club and the Shopping center, and not much further to to the Albert dock which is also worth a visit especially to visit the museums which are free but please make a donation they are well worth it.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor and had some noise from the roof mounted fans
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alan P
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

My husband booked this hotel for my birthday an overnight stay in Liverpool we booked for a standard room with no view but upon arrival we were upgraded to a window room. The room was immaculate very modern large tv on the wall the shower and toilet are enclosed by a frosted screen (wet room) but this again very clean and modern. We had all the usual tea/coffee making facilities and was invited to a complimentary wine evening running 5 till 8 the staff were really friendly and helpfull and the location perfect a stone throw from the centre Matthew st + a lot of really good bars around I would definitely return xx

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne Y
Dubli
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here while visiting family over Christmas.
Complained to manager about noise from local club at 3am. Manager did not care.
Sorry but totally not acceptable. Should have said rooms back onto club...would have been cheaper to buy ticket to night. Felt like I was in there anyway.
So much for historical, old part of liverpool

Ps what kind of club has dj screaming over tracks anyway.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dee R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Conveniently located near Lime St Station (about 8 min walk down main shopping district), the Z Hotel is welcoming and centrally located to shops and Beatles history.

We booked the cheapest room with no windows and expected it to be like a prison. However, upon checking in, it was clean and cosy. Bed was comfy with Sky TV. If you're sharing with a friend, please be aware that the bathroom is kind of voyeuristic, especially if you're taller than the frosted glass section. The room came with the usual extras a 5 star hotel would have (e.g. shampoo, body wash and lotion, tea/coffee making facilities).

Did not opt for the breakfast as there's plenty to eat outside but the lobby/cafe downstairs seemed alright. The only negative was that the air conditioner was based on central settings, so it was difficult to set the temperature we wanted.

However, for the price we paid, it was great for the overnight stay in Liverpool. Short walk to the shops and Liverpool One, and about a 10-15 minute walk to the Docks and Beatles museum.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple