“Good quality budget accommodation”
Review of Z Hotel Liverpool

Z Hotel Liverpool
Ranked #18 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
London, United Kingdom
“Good quality budget accommodation”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Z Hotel in an internal room (i.e. no windows). The room is very tiny, with one of the smallest beds (for two people) that I've ever come across in a hotel, but they do well for the lack of space. The room does have everything you need and you know when booking that you're getting an internal room (and the price reflects that).

While we didn't get a glass of wine when we checked in, this was remedied on our second night when the mistake was identified (we didn't complain, we were just asked if we'd received one) and we were given a glass then instead - a nice touch.

I found the hotel quirky, clean and modern (the TV was amazing, with all the usual sky channels!). Free wi-fi was great and I found it worked really well. The location could not be better - a short walk to / from Liverpool Lime St, even less to the UKBA office (if, like me, you are there for visa / passport reasons), and also not far down to the docks. It's right in town so it's a stumble to Mathew Street (if you're looking for the Cavern Club area) and the main shopping street. We did not need / want a taxi or bus the whole time.

I recommend the hotel to anyone looking for simple, well located, clean (and modern) accommodation to use as a base while out and about.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Wow! This hotel is wonderful. Staff are so friendly and happy to help with everything. Matenience man in particular is a great advert for this city. , Rooms are immaculate , large screen tv with full Sky. Location cant be beat and the price i had to double check as it seemed to good to be true! I have stayed in many liverpool hotels and now that ive found this gem i will not stay anywhere else..... Fantastic underated city and this hotel will make your trip unforgettable...
10/10 .......

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Z hotel is by far the best choice in terms of value for money when going to Liverpool. The service, location and facilities are all of a very high standard. The rooms are small but have a stunning view and one of the best beds I slept on! Would recommend it to anyone for both business and leisure.

• Stayed June 2013
UK
Reviewed 2 February 2014

A great little hotel, everything you need for a short stop in Liverpool.The room was tiny but had a great view, smartly kitted out, tea/coffee facilites (normal but i have been in hotels where this isn't provided) as well as a big tv. Not recommended unless your enitirely comfortable with the other person especially as you can hear and see into the bathroom easily . Would certainly stay here again but it is a tad on the pricey side.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Two minutes walk from the Cavern Club where we were going out for the night.

Free glass of wine when you check in.
Free wi fi
All Sky channels in the rooms
Excellent staff - very friendly and helpful.

Will be back again

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

I needed to pop to Liverpool to obtain a new passport and logistically it didn't make sense driving 2 hours in the morning to get to a 7.45am appointment.

The hotel is modern and quirky. I booked direct and paid £36 for a room with no window.

Firstly, I can't see why anyone would have any issues with staying in a modern and comfortable room that does not have any windows.

The air con works very well and the bed is very very firm, thankfully that's my preference. There is a big TV with all sky channels and there is Tea and Coffee facilities.

The wet room / shower room is separated by obscure glass and sits perfectly in the corner of the room.

Check in was painless, yes you do walk into a cafe / reception but who cares, everyone there either works at Z Hotel or has done the exact same thing !!!!

Order breakfast the night before and you get a £1 discount and ask about parking as you get a discount ticket for the nearby NCP car park..

If you are a solo person, sales rep and even a couple who a comfortable with each other don't bother looking at anywhere else - seriously !!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Very nice hotel but unfortunately there are a few issues that prevent me from staying here again. The room design and the staff are great but I arrived before my partner to check-in and in our room the desk was pulled out to the middle exposing tv receiver cables and the receiver box unplugged. Rather than tell the front desk, I decided to just plug everything back in and move the desk back against the wall, however the tv now said there was no signal. As my partner would like the TV working I informed reception who sent someone up, she failed to get the receiver working, apparently the desk pulled out was due to maintenance trying to fix it as the no-signal problem was apparently a common issue.
She moved me into a bigger room which was great with a working TV. Myself and my partner loved the glass shower room and wonderful view. However there are a few issues with this hotel, for us the bed is too firm and duvet too thick so both of us were extremely hot and uncomfortable, even though it was a cold night in August. Also the thermostat doesn't work. I tried to lower the temperature in the middle of the night but I since discovered its one of those setups where the temperature is controlled by the hotel, this wasn't made clear initially so little point in having a controllable thermostat if its going to go back to its original temperature after a short time.
Theres also a slight problem communicating with the hotel afterwards, I emailed via the website but the given address info@thezhotels.com appears to be unmanned or I was ignored so I resent the email to specific hotel addresses and got a response, I asked if the bed and heating specification is the same across all zhotels or if there are variations, as I noted this was a new hotel. The response appeared to reference a completely different enquiry about the glass en-suite and room size?! I assume those must be common complaints and it appeared an automated response by accident? I responded to clarify that my enquiry was nothing to do with that, in fact we both loved the glass en-suite and room sizes. They finally responded to explain that the beds are the same accross all zhotels and the room temperature is set by the hotel although you can contact the front desk to tell them to adjust this. Theres no phone in the room so this is another issue, when you wake up boiling you have to physically leave the room in the middle of the night to talk to someone. Apparently nothing I raised can be fixed by the hotel so I left it there.
All a bit of a shame really, I would have loved to have made the zhotels my regular stop as we are frequent hotel users in both London and Liverpool for our work. All that is good about the hotel is ruined by the lack of temperature control, slightly poor email response system and beds too firm. If you could adjust the thickness of the duvet by having seperate layers it may not be so bad but really is far too thick.
If they could sort these issues out this would be an amazing hotel for both couples and business travellers but with all the aethetics aside, one of the most important aspects of a hotel for me is comfort and theres no point booking any hotel if it doesn't let you get a nights sleep. So regrettably im now looking for a hotel chain just like the zhotel, but not the zhotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple