“Bit of a mixed experience”
Review of The Podworks Hotel

The Podworks Hotel
Ranked #58 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Bit of a mixed experience”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I have had to give a lot of thought to this review as I don't like having to give bad reviews but feel there were enough concerns to have to write this.

Firstly though the good points the hotel is in a great location for getting to the docks, Liverpool One etc and is at a great price and in terms of value for money cannot be faulted. Overall as well the staff are excellent and very friendly especially when dealing with one of the problems that we had. I do like the pod concept and actually the pods were a good size and had everything you would need.

Something that guests attending may wish to consider is the beds are higher than an average bed especially for the vertically challenged or those with some mobility issues. The friend I was travelling with has both these issues and was not physically able to get into the bed because of the height of it. This was the issue that the night reception staff were really good at trying to resolve as I went in search of a step eventually a builders ladder was found which was used to be able to get in and out of the bed not the most ideal situation given the size of a ladder in the size of the room but fully appreciate the staff making every effort to find a solution and to do their best to help and given this was around midnight they really did go out of their way to help. We had booked on the premise that lifts were available but found on arrival the lift from ground level to reception to be locked and to be told there was no lifts available inside something I now believe is incorrect so a little put out to have been given wrong information especially as I say I was travelling with a friend with some mobility difficulties who does struggle with stairs.

The hotel overall appeared to be clean and well maintained and the pod itself mostly the same however finding a condom and wrapper (wasn't going to investigate too closely to see if it was used or not) down the side of the mattress in our room does make us wonder how thoroughly the room was cleaned as surely it should have been the bed was changed? I did raise this with the guy on reception in the morning but not sure if he took a note of it or not.

Overall a bit of a mixed experience. There are some really good elements to the hotel like the staff and absolutely love the carpets and some areas that need some more work. For us probably wouldn't stay again purely on the basis that because of the height of the beds as it just isn't practical for my friend but for anyone needing a good central base in Liverpool it is well worth a try even with raising the issues I have raised.

I really don't like having to raise the bad points but wouldn't like the hotel to suffer as some of the things can be easily rectified and overall would like to see the Podworks do well

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
fatcat1964, General Manager at The Podworks Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our new Hotel and we appreciate your comments.
We are happy that our staff were able to help you etc as we are a small family business so being friendly is one of our priorities to make all our guests feel at home.
The bed height was designed to allow a large luggage area underneath the bed for guests with large suitcases , it is actually only 6" higher than my own bed so its never felt too high but I do understand that it could seem high especially for a person with the difficulties you mentioned.
The hotel is a new concept in the city that we hope provides first class accomadation at a fraction of the cost of a regular Hotel room in the city.
Once again thank you for your comments

Paul Kelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I stayed at Porworks a few weeks in April as I work in Liverpool monday to friday. The price was reasonable and the rooms were clean and comfortable.
The only minor problem is that in some rooms there's no mobile or wifi reception.
Overall good value for money though.
Remember that all the rooms are underground so there's no natural light or fresh air. Not suitable for a claustrophobic person!

Room Tip: prefer rooms 10x (first basement floor) rather than 20x (second basement floor)
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.
We are really happy that you had a great stay.
I would like to point out that each pod room is individually climate controlled and each pod has a fully functioning air replacement system which provides fresh air continually.

Gen Mgr
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The staff in this new hotel stopped at nothing to make our stay comfortable. Adam was a star and Paul the manager had us in stitches whilst booking in. Will definately stay here again next time we need to stay in Liverpool.

Room Tip: It would appear all of the rooms are the same - brand new !
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest ,

Thank you for your kind comments we really appreciate the time to review.

Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

We came to Liverpool because I am a supporter from South Africa and was looking for reasonable accommodation at a good rate. I was pleasantly surprised at The Pod Works. The hotel is very new and everything was clean. Staff was very helpful and accommodating. The recommended good places to see as well as assisted with reliable taxi services, and trust me you can be taken for a ride in Liverpool with taxi driver driving you all over town to get a quick buck from foreigners. I will definitely stay there again and will recommend anyone else do the same. Only downside to the hotel was that my room was not serviced. Not sure if this was for room only without service. But other than that it was excellent

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vernon R
fatcat1964, General Manager at The Podworks Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our new Hotel. We really love positive feedback. See again soon.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

went here for a stag do. There were 15 of us. The location was perfect, 24hr bar downstairs, the place felt new and was very clean. The staff were fantastic, really accommidating, friendly and good sports. Becky behind the bar was great! Would definitely stay there again

• Stayed May 2013
paul k, General Manager at The Podworks Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time for reviewing our new hotel...we are a small family owned and operated Hotel and the Podworks is quite new concept in Liverpool so we appreciate your kind words.
I will pass on your comments regarding Becky...

Kind regards

London
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I stayed here and got a great bargain price of £33 for a one night stay which I booked on the day of arrival. This was a great new hotel, central location, the bed was the best ever..pillows great as well. Will deffo look into staying here again especially if I can get it for £33!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
paul k, General Manager at The Podworks Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank so much for reviewing our new Hotel, we really love the positive feedback.

Kind regards

liverpool
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed in the podworks with my friend last weekend, it was a clean place to stay. Loved the location perfect for shopping, ideal for nightlife also. A big thanks to receptionist Becky and Adam for their help and making our stay comfortable, only problem is rooms are cold and take a while to warm up but it won't stop us coming back again,,,, thanks again

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends