“Excellent hotel”

The Richmond, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #35 of 100 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Found this hotel last minute and was panicking on what I was going to find on such short notice, luckily came across this hotel, situated in a lovely old building and pleased to find it was just as beautiful inside. Would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of going. The reception staff where a delight and the room was very clean, hope to stay again when next in Liverpool.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank danwest2501
Write a ReviewReviews (2,403)

Reviewed 12 November 2013

With over 120 TA reviews to my credit this HAS to be the most difficult one to write !!!
Heaven to hell and back again all in one 3 day stay.
Positives - lovely staff who deserve medals, having to deal with so many issues and problems.
This place could be 'fabulous' and has so much potential but has a long long way to go.
I sat down last night and read all 140 reviews before writing this - TBH, I could write a book on our stay here from Friday until Monday. It was fascicle but we were finally given suitable rooms albeit WITHOUT daylight, fresh air and very dimly lit. There is not enough room to write all the details of this trip and it would take me hours. We were eventually made comfortable, after 2 room changes, nice beds and had lovely shower/bathrooms and tons of space (not the same for all I believe!).
I have to reiterate on the great staff (with one exception! who dealt with our initial problem) they did everything within their means to rectify things .Wonderful housekeeper and great lads on reception.
Nigel - do you really need that Portrait ? ! and you need an expert to put The Richmond on the right path.. Your GM was no where to be seen but I believe was responsible for our hefty and well deserved discount !! Readers welcome to contact me on this one - !!!
Sorry if this is hard to follow I am still shot away from this experience !!

Room Tip: Good luck !!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank kentcritique
Reviewed 11 November 2013

It's really difficult to figure out what's going on with this hotel. As other reviewers have said, the building itself is a very attractive old building. But as a hotel, they have serious issues. The biggest negative was the lack of light in our room. It was so dark it was laughable. I spent quite some time looking for additional lights or switches because I couldn't believe they would actually put guests in a room this dark. The total light in the large room was provided by a chandelier up close to the high ceiling and two extremely dim lights on the wall behind the bed. The chandelier had five bulbs that were probably about 15 watts each and one of the bulbs was burned out. The room had a desk and chair but no light on the desk. It was impossible to work at the desk because it was so dark and reading in bed was also not an option. I actually used the flashlight on my iPhone several times when I couldn't find things due to the darkness.

The second big issue was the WiFi. As soon as we checked in we notified the front desk that the WiFi in our room was not working. They said it would be taken care of the next morning (we were staying two nights). The next morning I went to the front desk and told them that it was still not working. They said they would have it fixed within 15 minutes. We went out and when we returned in the early afternoon it was still not working. I reported it again and they said they would "get their IT guy right on it." When we returned again in the early evening it was still not working. I reported it again (for the fourth time). Long story short, when we checked out after 48 hours in the hotel, they had never fixed the problem. They did offer to take the breakfast charges off of our bill for the inconvenience, but what I really needed was internet access, not a free breakfast.

Another more minor issue was that we had an inside room and outside the window all we could see was dirty old scaffolding along the exterior walls that looked like it hadn't been touched in years. And, like many older buildings, anytime someone above us flushed or used the water, the noise of the waste water coming down the drains was extremely loud.

All and all, despite the potential for this hotel to be something special. I cannot recommend staying at The Richmond.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrew4850
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed at the Richmond for my birthday, the staff were very helpful and kind. The location was great, taxi fares were extremely cheap. The beds were very comfortable, television and technology in room up to date. I could not of asked for anything more.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Megan2308
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I came upon this hotel quite by chance. It was my lucky day. It is an unusual hotel which is converted from a building with a different function.
The staff are courteous and keen to please. Luke the duty manager was a great help to me when my I pad ran out of battery and I needed to work on a lengthy e mail immediately without time to re charge. I was in a panic but Luke came to the rescue. Top man.
The rooms are spotless with excellent bathroom facilities . I had tea making facilities with fresh milk in the fridge. Facing the bed was a huge plasma screened TV with great picture quality. The food was very good served in very pleasant surroundings.
When I stay in Liverpool this will be my hotel

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank 25Steve
HeskyStevens, General Manager at The Richmond, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Many Thanks for your comments, greatly appreciated and many thanks for highlighting Luke, our Reception Manager, top guy always with the customer at the forefront.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Kind Regards
Steven Hesketh

Reviewed 8 November 2013

The Richmond hotel sells itself as a 4 star 'luxury' hotel, however, in reality it is far from. We were booked in as a couple for 2 nights. The reception is very flamboyant and does give the impression of a luxury hotel. The hotel stored our bags until check in at 3pm. Check in was efficient and the reception staff were friendly. However, things went downhill from here. We were booked into a classic double room. In the lift we spoke to a very friendly builder who said he had just been into our room to fit the new light above the bed. When walking across the corridor to our room there were boot prints and a big hole in the wall covered by an MDF panel which was clearly the builders access to the floor they were working on.
First impression of the room was its small size. There was barely room to store your luggage. The overall decor of the room was nice however, on closer inspection there were faults. The bedside lamp bulb was gone, the floor tiles in the bathroom were loose and the door frame was unpainted on the one side. Furthermore, there was a caution sign on the wall of the bathroom advising you to be careful as the non-existent towel rail was hot. There was no place to hang towels at all. A hotel basic surely?! The real issue was in the morning from about 8.20am the builders were drilling and stomping about above our room. The noises were so loud it was impossible to sleep. At this point I went down to the reception to complain. The man on reception was very apologetic and offered us a complimentary upgrade to a suite on the first floor for our second night. Result, a room where we can finally receive a hotels primary service, sleep.
In all fairness the suites are very nice. There is a small kitchen area, a dining area, a lounge area and a sort of cordoned off bedroom with a huge bed (which was 3 pillows wide and very comfy) and a large bathroom with a bath and separate shower. We thought great finally we can move about and enjoy a quiet sleep.
After a 2 hour nap we decided to head over to the Olympus spa that hotel guests have complimentary access to. It's slightly disappointing and awkward that the spa is located across the road, usually guest are able to stroll down in their robes. The spa itself is not worth a visit. The pool area is so hot you can barely breathe and the 3 hot tubs are basically just warm baths there is no power behind the jets at all. After half an hour we headed back to the room.
We left the hotel to go out to dinner at around 6pm. Upon our return to the hotel we went to the hotel bar for a drink. At about 10.40pm we went back to the room. As we came around the corner we discovered the door to our room was wide open!!! To cut a long story short it turns out the maid had been in doing the turn down service at 8pm and had left the door open by mistake!! The door had been open to the world for nearly 3 hours. We had all our personal belongings out, iPads, cameras and jewellery. We could not believe it. Shocking for a 'luxury' hotel. The hotel offered us to only pay for one night. However, in my eyes the both nights were a disaster and the hotel should be embarrassed.
Our advice is to book elsewhere.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank aes22aes
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Just spent two nights at the Richmond and wish it could have been longer. I booked it as a surprise along with a trip to the theatre for my husbands 60th birthday and couldnt have wished for more.The hotel was in a great location for the station and for the theatre. The Albert dock was a short walk away through the city centre as was the Cavern club,home of the Beatles. Our room was amazing. We had a beautifully refurbished apartment,spotlessly clean equipped with everything you could wish for from the huge Tv s in the lounge and bedroom to the mini bar and even a dishwasher! The breakfast was brilliant with plenty to choose from and as much as you cared to eat. On the second night we ate in the resteraunt and were more than impressed with the food and value for money. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the whole stay was unforgettable , we haven't stopped telling people about it and can't wait to stay there again. We would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pauline W

What lovely comments, very much appreciated, lets hope this becomes a yearly event at Birthday time. We look forward to you coming back again soon.

Kind Regards