“Hits the spot !”

Ranked #38 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Kilkenny
“Hits the spot !”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Really nice stay in The Richmond especially when welcomed at the reception desk with a complimentary bottle of wine ! Really huge room with lovely old vaulted ceilings and an enormous 50 inch plasma wall mounted TV ! The bed linen and room were spotless and the service to the room including bed turning excellent. Bathroom had lovely overhead waterfall shower cascade head giving fantastic refreshing bathing! Sink was a little tight to the wall corner next to the heated towell rail but not really a bother. Loved the situation only 5 mins from Beatle Quarter and all the shops. Only down side was the ridiculous prices of their cocktails at £9 !! Dream on there! Far easier to walk out the door to one of the many many clubs and bars to get both food and drink wayyyyyy cheaper. All in all this was a great find and lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: ask for kingsize at the front of hotel
3 Thank pompeypaulo
Paris D, General Manager at The Richmond, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

What a great review! Our TV's are great aren't they! 50 inch, biggest in Liverpool! We are so very proud of our interior fit out, I am glad you liked it. Our location is a real asset to us. You will be pleased to hear that we now offer a cocktail "Happy Hour" every day between 5pm and 7pm.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have just arrived home from a two night stay in this hotel. Firstly the hotel was very, very clean and the staff in the reception area was very helpful same has the room service being very quick. The room was clean with fresh towels and toiletries available, the bed was made every time we left the room as well. We traveled by car so when we arrived we had to wait for the concierge to come and take our keys, the next morning when we wanted the car we had to wait again for around 10 minutes but that was not a problem as we were in no rush, when the car pulled up it was filthy like it had been by a building site or under a tree (maybe both) has it was sand and dust, the following day when we came to leave the hotel we asked for our car as normal and drove off has we got to the top of the road the glass from my wind mirror was missing, we went back and the concierge looked on the car park and said he could not see it anywhere and gave me directions to the nearest Halfords, I did not find this very good has the car should have been in a safe car park and this should not have happened, the hotel did not offer to pay or anything. The walls in each room are very thin we could here next doors television clearly which kept us wake, the room was very cold it did have either a air conditioning or heating system but there are no instructions on how to use it and when we got it on it was cold air blowing out. the spa is not in the same building as the hotel it is over the road and up a bit.

2 Thank Zoe C
Dear Zoe,

Thank you for your review.

Thank you for commenting on our cleanliness, this is something we pride ourselves on. I will be sure to pass on the great comments about the staff too - they truly are second to none.

I would like to reassure you that our car park is extremely safe and secure. We use a car park managed by National Museums Liverpool and is just behind the hotel. There is however building work happening near to us and the high winds recently have blown the dirt and debris onto the cars, fortunately, no damage was caused.

I would however like to discuss the broken wing mirror in more detail with you if possible?

I do hope to welcome you back to the Richmond Hotel in the near future.

Paris
0151 236 1220
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This hotel has scouse style all over it; glamorous but just slightly garish and tacky. Exhibit A: black and white fake flock on the walls in reception area. Exhibit B: white leather upholstery. I loved it.

The rooms' decor was more sedate. The beds were extremely comfortable - one of the most comfortable I have slept in. The bathroom was also very nice.

Staff were very pleasant; the bar staff were particularly attentive.

We did not pay for breakfast as there are plenty of places in Liverpool to have a decent breakfast for next to nothing (recommend Circo Bar in Albert Dock: 2 full breakfasts for approximately £10 and really lovely tea made with fresh tea leaves).

The downside for us was the dodgy plumbing which disturbed our sleep. If any residents flushed their toilet it would sound as if the ceiling was about to cave in. We were in a party of 4 and the sound was heard by both sets of parties. There was also an issue with the mixer tap but I have reported this and so hopefully the problem will be resolved.

Overall this was a comfortable stay and if the hotel could guarantee me not being disturbed by loud flushing water I would return.

Room Tip: May be have room that is not on the ground floor as you will not be underneath the plumbing system?
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LucyC915
Dear Lucy,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and in particular found our beds comfortable, we regularly get great feedback about them.

It is such a shame you didn't sample our great breakfast, and priced at £7.50 if purchased at check in, it's one not to be missed. Maybe next time eh.... :)

Thank you for bringing to my attention the noisy pipes, I will have this looked at immediately. As a new hotel (opened in May) our guest feedback is important to improve our standards and service.

I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Southport
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Absolutely loved our stay here; so much so we are coming back over the next couple of weeks. Staff were the best that we've experienced anywhere, and given some of the hotels we've stayed in, that really wad an impressive feature of this hotel. Great location just off Dale Street, superb amenities. I honestly can't do justice in so few words to just how exceptional this was and to how much we enjoyed our stay. If you're visiting Liverpool then this is an absolute must. A huge thanks to Hannah, Paris, Luke, Thomas, Kay, Georgia, Shaun et al for making our stay so great.

2 Thank Alexander_Paul_Roper
Dear Alexander,

Thank you for your positive review! We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would choose to stay with us again! We try to offer the best level of service and appreciate this has been noted in our team. We look forward to welcoming you to our Hotel again in the near future.

Have a safe flight home in the New Year.

Hawarden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night for a concert at the arena. Very nice hotel. Decent location. Very high standard of furnishings in rooms. Nice breakfast. Friendly helpful staff. Special thanks to Joanne the accommodations manager.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Paul S
Dear PKSmith,

WOW - what a great review. Thank you :)

I will be sure to pass on all the great feedback to my team, particularly Joanne who you mention specifically.

I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

General Manager.
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed on a groupon deal including dinner and wine! Efficient check in, friendly reception staff. Room 132 looked great so we dumped our bags & headed to the bar for cocktails- great deal at half price all weekend, dark & stormy & cosmopolitan both delicious and the girl in the bar/restaurant was lovely, chatty & friendly! Back to the room to unpack & noticed how cold the room was. Also the towel warmer wasnt conected to a powersupply so no heat in the bathroom either. Couldnt be fixed & so lady from housekeeping (again pleasant and helpful) showed me to an apartment style room on the 3rd floor. This was fab-huge bed, masive tv, enormous bathroom, also had a loungeand dining area & kitchen complete with toaster, fridge freezer, even washing up liquid! Bathrom was wonderful with an overhead shower, beatifully soft towels and molton brown toiletries. Bed with luxury bedding including down pllows and soft robes and slippers.
Initially I was disappointed with the limited choice at dinner but neednt have worried- all the food was lovely(ham hock terrine, smoked salmon mousse, then fish & chips, rib-eye steak, pannacota and brownie ice cream). More cocktails, this time strawberry daiquiri!
Great night's sleep in the huge bed & not much noise from outside to be heard!
Super breakfast-plenty of choice including full English, wide choice of fruit and yoghurt, diferent breads and pastries. No waiting for tea and coffee-served straightaway!
Fast checkout & we could even leave the car until late afternoon after the sightseing!
A couple of issues were dealt with efficiently.
we had a great time & loved the decor and style of the hotel, would be nice to have a more exciting choice of main meals on tne menu. Mind you the choice of cocktails is great and the staff are a credit to the place , everyone we encountered gave service with a smile and was helpful. Would definitely go back and have already recommended to friends and family.

Room Tip: Try and get a suite
2 Thank beebee40
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review.

It's great to hear such great things about my team, I will be sure to pass on the fantastic feedback.

Thank you for the compliments about our food quality, our Head Chef, Damien Flynn too sends his thanks.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed for two nights at The Richmond and like a lot of others I have very mixed feelings about this Hotel. The hotel is not in the best area of Liverpool but is still convenient being only a short walk to the city centre and around 15mins to Albert Dock.
Checked in early on Saturday with no problems and staff were very helpful. We were given a room on the ground floor next to the road and initial impressions were that the room was nice enough with very high ceilings and had obviously recently been refurbished to a good standard with quality fittings and a large 50 inch TV. The only downside was that the room felt a bit on the small side and there was no milk for my tea!!. Went to reception to sort out the milk and they asked if room was OK, mentioned it was a bit smaller than we expected and the receptionist immediately asked if we would like to look at another room they had available on the second floor. This room was much more like we expected it was a large apartment room with a lounge area and kitchen as well as an enormous bed and the room came complete with two 50inch TVs which was ideal as I wanted to watch the sport while we got ready to go out while my partner watched an old episode of Columbo on the other TV!!!! The bathroom was also finished to a good standard and was very large but not totally thought through as basics like somewhere to hang your towel near to the shower/bath were not there ...... just little things I know but I suggest the staff/management spend a night in each of their own rooms and they will see what I mean about the little things making all the difference.
Now on to breakfast ............ what can I say?? Frankly it was just a shambles. Firstly on Sunday breakfast is served in a dingy basement room. Went through fire doors and past trolleys with all dirty laundry on the way in. Nobody shows you to a table and you are not asked if you want tea or coffee. I had to chase the waitress around constantly firstly for tea and then for milk for the table, the orange juice had run out and whilst I accept that it probably comes from a carton did she really have to come to the buffet with the carton and fill up the jug?? It all felt second rate and very unprofessional. The serve yourself hot cooked buffet breakfast itself was ok but by the time you had made your own toast on the toast machine breakfast was cold ...... how hard is it for a hotel trying to provide quality facilities to get a slice of toast to your breakfast table?? Please The Richmond if you do nothing else ditch the toast machine!!! Also please provide some marmalade for my toast ..... I was infomed you don't do marmalade just jam or honey ... never stayed anywhere before that didn't do marmalade. I would also add that the whole ambiance of breakfast on Sunday was added to by some Neanderthal wandering in with two cans of Bud and proceeded to drink these whilst eating a plate of scrambled egg with his fingers .... quality!!
Breakfast on Monday morning was served in the main restaurant which is a lot more acceptable. It was a pity I phoned down to reception to ask what time breakfast was on until and was told 11.00am .... we arrived at 10.00 to be greeted by an exceptionally helpful and apologetic member of staff that breakfast finished at 10.00 and all that was available was what was on display on the buffet ... not a good start to the breakfast experience again and unfortunately the toast machine was there again even in the main restaurant ..... and still no marmalade.
Like I said at the start a very mixed experience this hotel could be really excellent .... it has the potential it just needs someone to sharpen everything up a bit ...... the staff are generally very good and aplogetic and helpful if things aren't right - I would still give it the benefit of the doubt and stay again when in Liverpool but they need to get breakfast feeling more professional.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul G
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your review.

Our "Classic Double" rooms are of similar size to standard rooms in other hotel chains, but with bigger 50 inch TV's and better quality fixtures and fittings. I am glad that you found the upgraded "Junior Suite" to be of a great standard.

I can assure you that as I stay at the hotel at least once a week, the small things you mention are getting picked up on and are being rectified.

I am currently looking at our breakfast offering with the Brasserie Manager and Head Chef and we hope to have a new offering in the New Year, though small tweaks are being made each week.

Finally thank you for the great feedback about my team, I will be sure to pass this on.