“Crap Standard”

Ranked #34 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Halifax, Canada
“Crap Standard”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The hotel it's self is in a great location and looks good as you walk in. Check in is at 3 but we turned up just after 1 and the receptionist said our room was ready so we could go up early, which was a good start. The elevator was not working, as we were the second floor up and only had one bag that wasn't a big issue for me personally, but anyone older or maybe with a small child with a pram may have been a different story. As we entered our room it looked nice on first impressions, then I went to use the bathroom and found the bathroom door didn't close, the door was too big for the frame it was in. The window wall was half painted, there were a few holes in another wall and one of the bed side lights didn't work... All relatively small things (which is why I didn't complain at the time) but since coming home I regretted not saying anything as soon as I'd noticed these imperfections with the room. Having paid just under £70 for a night I expect nothing less than perfect, I've stayed in premier inns which have had better quality rooms, it just seemed like they were in the middle of renovating the room then stopped to let us stay in it instead of getting the job finished! The most annoying thing about the stay was the fact that originally we had booked through 'Groupon', they were charging £99 for a room and £25 per person to spend in the restaurant. After paying for the Groupon and booking the hotel we spoke to a French man from the restaurant who said we couldn't book a table for the Tuesday night that we were staying, nor did they have anything available until mid March (we booked the hotel for Feb 22nd). So after a few back and forth emails with Groupon we did manage to cancel the booking and get our £99 back, on the basis that we couldn't use the coupons for the restaurant. As we liked the look of the hotel we then decided to book directly through Richmond hotels website for the night, and pay the £68.99 for a room, and reserve a table at a near by Italian restaurant. When on our way out of the hotel we had a nosey at the restaurant, which was not even half full, whilst looking at the menu a staff member asked us if we'd like to take a seat, this was the cherry on the cake for me. After we had phoned a couple of weeks in advance and was told there were no spaces what so ever in the restaurant, then having to chase groupon to get our money back we were offered a table that night!!! We could have had the voucher and saved ourselves money on the room and a meal at the restaurant if we weren't misinformed about making a reservation in the restaurant! The hotel is unfinished and the staff clearly cannot communicate properly. I wouldn't recommend it and definitely wouldn't go back!

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

We arrived early so left our bags and headed off to the shops. We returned about 5 ish to a very long queue and only one girl behind reception! I rang the reservation number and a young man answered, I asked him if he was busy, he said no so I asked him to come and help on the recrption desk. He did but surely not a customers job!
We checked in, no upgrades available which I wanted to pay for. The lift is still not working! After walking up 3 flights of stairs we arrived at our room. It was a twin room and I had booked a double! We decided to shower before heading out for the evening. When I came out of my shower I was met with two men in the room! They had been given our room aswell. Off they went back to reception and we hastily got dressed. When we went to the reception the lady was apologising to them. I interruped and explained if any body should have an apology it should be me, after all I was the one naked in my room!! We went off into town as you couldn't possibly relax in your room after that!
Had our meal in the restaurant, it was pleasant enough limited choice on the menus. We headed off back to our room up the 3 flights of stairs. Our key wouldn't open the door so my husband had to go back down the stairs to get the key sorted. He returned, rather exhausted and the key yet again didn't work! Off he goes again, the receptionist returns with him and it finally works. We were not happy! When we get into the room we find a bottle of wine regarding me being seen naked by two men in my room! After the big saga of getting into the room I took this wine as a bit of an Insult! ( hence we left it in the room when we departed). After the door incident the receptionist told us no manager was on duty so we would have to find luke in the morning.
The hotels I usually stay at the manager makes it his business to find out what is happening and they go and seek out the customer not the other way round!
I decided to have a relaxing bath, very difficult when the taps don't work! I tried filling the bath up from the shower above the bath but the water wasn't hot enough, so I scrapped the bath and had a shower. Why have a bath and taps if the water isn't connected??
I didn't sleep well, our room was hot we opened the wibdows, noisy but better than cooking.
We were second down to breakfast which was a little bit of guess where it is? It was down on the lower fall. The fruit was lovely and we were looking forward to our breakfast. The plates were cold which wasn't a good start. We sat down to eat our breakfast and noticed it was stone cold! We then realised that someone had not lit the burners underneath! We informed the staff who went to check and subsequently lit the heaters. We left! Back up 4 flights of stairs to our room and you guessed it, the key wouldn't work. Off my husband went again! We went to the spa which was very pleasant and then spent the rest of the day out!
Breakfast the next day was in a different place, no one tells you. We checked out and was told we had a bill!? We always pay cash as we go along, we apparently had a car parked in the hotel and other bits to pay for! We obviously declined to pay for this.
As our break went on it was obvious to us they had checked us into the wrong room, the bill we were given was obviously the two men that walked in on us. The room key would never work and it was a twin not a double!
We came away to relax as we both have highly stresful jobs! My husband works in the city and the hotel was recommended to him. We only live 50 minutes away and it was tempting to just pack up and go!
Little things would have helped, some information in the room about the spa and breakfast. The water wasn't replaced in the mini bar? On check out we realised you didn't have to pay for this, was this why it wasn't replaced? If we had to pay for it I am sure it would have been replaced for the next day.
The rooms were clean ish although I did find some hair clips on our floor and as I don't use them I presume they were from previous guests.
At checkout we were not asked about our stay, although we had decided not to say anything because if a manager csn not seek out a guest who has been walked in on naked then there really is no point.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ajp999
Steven-GM, General Manager at The Richmond, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Horrible to hear when things go wrong like this. We are very sorry and indeed learn from mistakes, and we have naturally been in contact to resolve directly.
Difficult to respond to a lengthy and detailed review, but to the wider audience, we certainly had some issues and do our best to learn and overcome them for future guests.

Apologies once again.
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here the other weekend for a hen party and was very impressed with the hotel. It's really close to the Liverpool one centre and the docks (about a 10-15min walk away) and is also close to the train station and some of the theatres. The hotel decor is opulent with a modern twist, we stayed in two apartments which consist of three rooms (ours was two twins and a double) each bedroom had its own spacious clean and modern bathroom, there was also a communal fully fitted kitchen and living/dinning room which again were clean open and modern. And even though our room which I shared with a friend was overlooked the road at night it was really quiet and the beds and pillows are really comfy. The only downsides were when we checked in it took a while as reception just directed us to the concierge desk which had no one there! So had to wait a while in the lobby for someone to come and collect our bags. Also breakfast was a really nice hot English breakfast buffet style with the option for continental, however when I picked up one of the plates it felt sticky underneath and when I turned it over it was covered in brown sauce so hadn't been cleaned properly and the table cloths were all stained when we sat down, thought that maybe they would change them after each time someone used the table. But despite these minor (and admittedly picky things) I would definitely stay in this hotel again when I next stay in Liverpool.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Steven-GM, General Manager at The Richmond, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Lovely Review, thanks for taking the time to write, we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

A very nice centrally located hotel in Liverpool city centre. Parking on site £15 per stay. Very modern decor and nice rooms. Offer included use of spa located over the road, worth a visit. Offer included bed & breakfast for 2 nights and dinner on the first night. Breakfast was as expected, buffet style, lots of choice. Little bit disappointed with evening meal. Long wait for courses and no veg with main course but what we had was ample for us. Worth going to Bistro Pierre restaurant near the cavern, 2 courses for £12 and was beautiful. Good offer and worth the price, would stay again but eat elsewhere.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Corrine G
Thanks for taking the time to write the review. Apologies the meal didn't meet expectation, we will take on board your comments, the Brasserie has been very busy this last week, but certainly I can appreciate it's disappointing waiting longer than anticipated.
Hope to see you back again in the future.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

So upon arrival we left our baggage with the concierge before we could check in to be able to go and explore the city, the staff were so friendly and helpful!
When we came back later to check in we were asked what the reason for our visit was and upon saying my birthday, the lovely lady named hannah upgraded my room and gave me a bottle of wine! she was so helpful, kind and lovely and the room was amazing!
Staff were always at hand to help when i needed something and they were very attentive!
The rooms were clean and well kept as was the rest of the hotel.
I cant wait to come back!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Steven-GM, General Manager at The Richmond, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thanks for your lovely review, look forward to welcoming you back.

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Lovely room which was spotless, particularly the bathroom. Nice big bed, one of the most comfortable I have experienced in a hotel.
Friendly & helpful staff. Good breakfast. Lift out of order when we stayed but the trek up the stairs to the third floor did us good! A short walk into the city centre.
An enjoyable stay, we would return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
County Meath, Ireland
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed there for the last two nights 1st decide to have a bit to eat at the hotel , I ordered the burger and chips my mate ordered the steak medium/Well, when the food came I took two bits from the burger and noticed it was 'pink ' I mean completely raw in the middle, my mates steak was the same not cooked at all, we called the waiter and he said to me that he eats his burgers and steaks like that , told him we didn't want to be ill , he took them away and brought them back ( the same burger and steak) only a lot smaller and just Cooked again , could not believe it , told them to take them away and they were angry we would eat our food , told them we wouldn't be eating there again and we never went down for the breakfasts that was included in the deal. My mate was ill that night and my stomach was upset .. Please read this before eating anything there, rooms were nice and it's central wouldn't stay there again

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Dazzer72
Oh dear, what a shame. Great to see you have given us 5 Stars for the rooms, but disappointed by the food. Apologies the food was not cooked to your liking, certainly the team should have checked how you would prefer to have your steak and burger cooked.
Our steaks are bought in daily, and they can be served "blue" if requested, and our Burgers are additionally made onsite to ensure they too our fresh. We actually minced the steak also, so that we serve 100% meat. Apologies you feel let down, Your comments will be taken on board.