“Lovely enjoyable stay!! Definitely go back!!!”

The Richmond, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #34 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 3 March 2014

From start to finish excellent service by all the staff, room lovely and big everything what we needed. Meals in restaurant both of a night and breakfast was really enjoyable and cocktails were to die for!!! Loved the spa over the road was a nice little touch will definitely be returning!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Richmond, BW Premier Collection

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We arrived about 40 minutes before check-in but the staff were good enough to let us go up early as our room was ready.

The room itself was nice with a lovely big bathroom. We had booked the stay through Travelzoo which stated we had a bottle of wine on arrival. When we got to the room, we called reception to enquire about this, to be told that we would get the bottle of wine with our evening meal which was fine with us. About 30 minutes before our reservation at the hotel restaurant, someone arrived at our room with the bottle of wine which was a bit confusing and pointless at this point.

The evening meal in the hotel restaurant could not be faulted. Lovely food with attentive, friendly service.

A downside to the layout of the hotel is that there was one communal door that then led to three different hotel rooms. This was fine until the people in the other rooms arrived back in the early hours of the morning and were banging the doors repeatedly (although granted this is not the fault of the hotel).

Overall an average stay, slightly redeemed by the evening meal. We were glad we had booked this hotel as a deal through Travelzoo rather than having paid full price. Wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Steven-GM, General Manager at The Richmond, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

First and foremost lovely to hear you had an enjoyable meal with us. It is a shame that other guests have disturbed you through the night however.
Our Night team do their best to complete regular walk arounds, etc, but it is difficult to stop others making noise.
Our Reception team also extend their apologies, whilst we can never judge everyone's check in time, we certainly on the weekend in question got hit all at once, which did heavily delay check in.
Apologies for these, and we do hope you would at least try us again in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 3 March 2014

As countless others have said, check in took too long and room wasn't ready. Tried to check in at 4pm (room available from 3pm apparently), after queuing for about 15 minutes because only one person on the desk, told that the room wasn't ready and offered compimentary drinks. Was told it would be ready in 30 minutes, and it was. The room (junior suite) was lovely, but lacking a mirror. The kitchen has washing up liquid but no sponge, rang reception to send one up which arrived straightaway, I think it helped that we rang at 7am. Stayed for 2 nights, but the room wasn't cleaned because housekeeping turned up at 5pm, at which time we were relaxing after a busy day shopping before going out for dinner. Ran out of milk the next morning, so called reception to get some which was bright straight up. Again, calling at 7am seems to be the best time!
All in all, a very nice hotel, but not quite up the the luxury standard it seems to be aiming for.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank quartz62
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here Friday 28th Feb for my partners birthday and we were both so impressed (were in room 392 which is classic double). We travelled up from Gloucestershire quite late so did not arrive until about 7pm but checked in and went strait to room which was lovely. Actually wondered if we were in the correct room. Paid £80 to stay the night and had a very spacious room with high ceilings, 2 very large tv's, a sofa, kingsize bed and fantastic bathroom with walk in shower. Only downside was that we were 2 floors up and lift was broken but as we only had 1 bag and had been emailed about it in advance it wasn't an issue for us. We were also offered help to take the bag up! After a lovely shower we were out for the night and hotel was in great location. On arrival back we both slept very well in the very comfy bed and drank the complementary water from the fridge. In the morning we had tea in our room and checked out. Did not eat at the restaurant so cannot comment on food but everything else about the stay exceeded our expectations. We visit liverpool quite often and will definitely stay again. Price we paid was great for the room and compared to other hotels in the city. Shame that when we return in April the price will be £250 for a 2 night stay which is out of our budget but if you can get a cheaper room here I would definitely recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JayGB
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The hotel it's self is in a great location and looks good as you walk in. Check in is at 3 but we turned up just after 1 and the receptionist said our room was ready so we could go up early, which was a good start. The elevator was not working, as we were the second floor up and only had one bag that wasn't a big issue for me personally, but anyone older or maybe with a small child with a pram may have been a different story. As we entered our room it looked nice on first impressions, then I went to use the bathroom and found the bathroom door didn't close, the door was too big for the frame it was in. The window wall was half painted, there were a few holes in another wall and one of the bed side lights didn't work... All relatively small things (which is why I didn't complain at the time) but since coming home I regretted not saying anything as soon as I'd noticed these imperfections with the room. Having paid just under £70 for a night I expect nothing less than perfect, I've stayed in premier inns which have had better quality rooms, it just seemed like they were in the middle of renovating the room then stopped to let us stay in it instead of getting the job finished! The most annoying thing about the stay was the fact that originally we had booked through 'Groupon', they were charging £99 for a room and £25 per person to spend in the restaurant. After paying for the Groupon and booking the hotel we spoke to a French man from the restaurant who said we couldn't book a table for the Tuesday night that we were staying, nor did they have anything available until mid March (we booked the hotel for Feb 22nd). So after a few back and forth emails with Groupon we did manage to cancel the booking and get our £99 back, on the basis that we couldn't use the coupons for the restaurant. As we liked the look of the hotel we then decided to book directly through Richmond hotels website for the night, and pay the £68.99 for a room, and reserve a table at a near by Italian restaurant. When on our way out of the hotel we had a nosey at the restaurant, which was not even half full, whilst looking at the menu a staff member asked us if we'd like to take a seat, this was the cherry on the cake for me. After we had phoned a couple of weeks in advance and was told there were no spaces what so ever in the restaurant, then having to chase groupon to get our money back we were offered a table that night!!! We could have had the voucher and saved ourselves money on the room and a meal at the restaurant if we weren't misinformed about making a reservation in the restaurant! The hotel is unfinished and the staff clearly cannot communicate properly. I wouldn't recommend it and definitely wouldn't go back!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

We arrived early so left our bags and headed off to the shops. We returned about 5 ish to a very long queue and only one girl behind reception! I rang the reservation number and a young man answered, I asked him if he was busy, he said no so I asked him to come and help on the recrption desk. He did but surely not a customers job!
We checked in, no upgrades available which I wanted to pay for. The lift is still not working! After walking up 3 flights of stairs we arrived at our room. It was a twin room and I had booked a double! We decided to shower before heading out for the evening. When I came out of my shower I was met with two men in the room! They had been given our room aswell. Off they went back to reception and we hastily got dressed. When we went to the reception the lady was apologising to them. I interruped and explained if any body should have an apology it should be me, after all I was the one naked in my room!! We went off into town as you couldn't possibly relax in your room after that!
Had our meal in the restaurant, it was pleasant enough limited choice on the menus. We headed off back to our room up the 3 flights of stairs. Our key wouldn't open the door so my husband had to go back down the stairs to get the key sorted. He returned, rather exhausted and the key yet again didn't work! Off he goes again, the receptionist returns with him and it finally works. We were not happy! When we get into the room we find a bottle of wine regarding me being seen naked by two men in my room! After the big saga of getting into the room I took this wine as a bit of an Insult! ( hence we left it in the room when we departed). After the door incident the receptionist told us no manager was on duty so we would have to find luke in the morning.
The hotels I usually stay at the manager makes it his business to find out what is happening and they go and seek out the customer not the other way round!
I decided to have a relaxing bath, very difficult when the taps don't work! I tried filling the bath up from the shower above the bath but the water wasn't hot enough, so I scrapped the bath and had a shower. Why have a bath and taps if the water isn't connected??
I didn't sleep well, our room was hot we opened the wibdows, noisy but better than cooking.
We were second down to breakfast which was a little bit of guess where it is? It was down on the lower fall. The fruit was lovely and we were looking forward to our breakfast. The plates were cold which wasn't a good start. We sat down to eat our breakfast and noticed it was stone cold! We then realised that someone had not lit the burners underneath! We informed the staff who went to check and subsequently lit the heaters. We left! Back up 4 flights of stairs to our room and you guessed it, the key wouldn't work. Off my husband went again! We went to the spa which was very pleasant and then spent the rest of the day out!
Breakfast the next day was in a different place, no one tells you. We checked out and was told we had a bill!? We always pay cash as we go along, we apparently had a car parked in the hotel and other bits to pay for! We obviously declined to pay for this.
As our break went on it was obvious to us they had checked us into the wrong room, the bill we were given was obviously the two men that walked in on us. The room key would never work and it was a twin not a double!
We came away to relax as we both have highly stresful jobs! My husband works in the city and the hotel was recommended to him. We only live 50 minutes away and it was tempting to just pack up and go!
Little things would have helped, some information in the room about the spa and breakfast. The water wasn't replaced in the mini bar? On check out we realised you didn't have to pay for this, was this why it wasn't replaced? If we had to pay for it I am sure it would have been replaced for the next day.
The rooms were clean ish although I did find some hair clips on our floor and as I don't use them I presume they were from previous guests.
At checkout we were not asked about our stay, although we had decided not to say anything because if a manager csn not seek out a guest who has been walked in on naked then there really is no point.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ajp999

Horrible to hear when things go wrong like this. We are very sorry and indeed learn from mistakes, and we have naturally been in contact to resolve directly.
Difficult to respond to a lengthy and detailed review, but to the wider audience, we certainly had some issues and do our best to learn and overcome them for future guests.

Apologies once again.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here the other weekend for a hen party and was very impressed with the hotel. It's really close to the Liverpool one centre and the docks (about a 10-15min walk away) and is also close to the train station and some of the theatres. The hotel decor is opulent with a modern twist, we stayed in two apartments which consist of three rooms (ours was two twins and a double) each bedroom had its own spacious clean and modern bathroom, there was also a communal fully fitted kitchen and living/dinning room which again were clean open and modern. And even though our room which I shared with a friend was overlooked the road at night it was really quiet and the beds and pillows are really comfy. The only downsides were when we checked in it took a while as reception just directed us to the concierge desk which had no one there! So had to wait a while in the lobby for someone to come and collect our bags. Also breakfast was a really nice hot English breakfast buffet style with the option for continental, however when I picked up one of the plates it felt sticky underneath and when I turned it over it was covered in brown sauce so hadn't been cleaned properly and the table cloths were all stained when we sat down, thought that maybe they would change them after each time someone used the table. But despite these minor (and admittedly picky things) I would definitely stay in this hotel again when I next stay in Liverpool.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Steven-GM, General Manager at The Richmond, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Lovely Review, thanks for taking the time to write, we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards