“Flatters to deceive”

Ranked #38 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom
“Flatters to deceive”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My girlfriend and I booked this hotel as we were on our way home to Scotland from the South of England and wanted to break the journey. We arrived long before the official book in time and a very helpful receptionist said that we could leave our luggage with the concierge. We then left the hotel to do a bit of sightseeing and did not return until 5.00pm when we booked in with the minimum of fuss. At this point we booked a table for dinner for 7.30pm. We took the lift up to our room on the third floor. We were immediately impressed by the room although it was on the small size but for one night it was perfectly acceptable. We went down for dinner at 7.30pm. After standing around for a few minutes the Restaurant Manager pointed to a table in the middle of the restaurant. We sat down at this table and the Manager approached us and told us that we had sat at the wrong table and claimed that he had pointed to another table which only had one chair at it. We moved and then waited almost twenty minutes for someone to come and take a drinks order. The drinks then took a further twenty minutes to arrive at the table. I would point out that initially the restaurant was fairly quiet but had now become busy. It was obvious to me that the Restaurant Manager hadn't a clue what was going on. Our drinks eventually arrived without any apology for the delay and a food order was taken. We then waited a further 25 minutes for the starter to arrive. Both starters were good. The main courses were then served quite quickly but my girlfriend's vegetables were cold and the plate was sent. To be fair my main course was piping hot and very tasty. The waitress then brought my girlfriend's plate back and all she said was the that the plate was very hot, no apology. When we finished dining no one came to us to see if we would like dessert so we just walked out. The following morning breakfast was equally shambolic and once again the Manager appeared to be totally out of his depth. He needs training urgently.

Overall we did enjoy our stay at The Richmond and we would go back and hopefully notice a difference in the service which was very poor and needs urgent attention.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed at the richmond with my husband for a 2 night stay, we opted for a Richmond Suite as they have a kitchenette. When we arrived I was taken back by how beautifully decorated the reception and bar area were, very sophisticated and smart. Our suite did not disappoint, the bedroom was very plush and romantic. Lovely big comfortable bed. The living, dining, kitchenette was a perfect size for the two of us and although we only used the kettle and fridge the kitchenette was fully equipped had we wanted to prepare a meal. Also the big white dressing gowns were a nice extra touch. We also used the complimentary spa across the road which is simply stunning, I felt completely relaxed after a long day shopping. The hotel is also in a great location, close to the nightlife (not too close) and around 10 minutes walk to Liverpool 1. We absolutely loved our stay and will definitely be back again. Thankyou to everyone at the richmond for a wonderful stay

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed for one night on 22 August for our anniversary. Hotel staff polite and friendly. Lots of choice for breakfast. Stayed in room 443 didn't get to sleep until after 4am. Constant droning noise in the room and every time the lift was used you could hear it in the shaft, doors opening and closing. Went on until 3:30am. Room was also cold. Felt exhausted the next day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift or you wont sleep
Limavady, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We spent one night at the Richmond and got the ferry to Ireland the next morning,we asked for a wakeup call and got it right on time,the rooms are nice,we had a little problem with the shower,it was looked at immedietly and we were given loads of fresh towels because of the water on the bathroom floor,I rearranged the shower,next morning and we didn't have the water problem going round the cubicle and onto floor,so I will say it looks like a learning curb for me,as the shower was great after,the adjustment.The breakfast was very good and we enjoyed it,the evening meal was quite nice,for what we paid for room/b+b+evening meal,it was very good value.We never got to the sauna but the next time we stop there,we must give it a try.This place e is a little gem in my view,the wife loved it too.

Room Tip: 341 was fine,great comfy beds,air con was fine and dandy.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
HeskyStevens, General Manager at The Richmond, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review.

It's always lovely to hear such positive comments from our guests and our staff do appreciate the feedback.

We would love to see you at The Richmond again next time you are visiting Liverpool.

Kind Regards
Steven Hesketh
Keighley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

our stay was enjoy able - the hotel was ideally situated - close to all the amenities and city centre and quite. the apartment style suited our needs. Unfortunately the toaster had an electrical fault and it tripped the electrical system. we reported this on 3 occasions - the electrical system was repaired but the toaster was not changed as promised. the rooms were spacious and clean - the bed was comfortable

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Booked a trip away in Liverpool for my husbands 30th over the weekend of 15th-17th August.

Negatives - the noise from the toilets flushing in other rooms is horrendous. It sounds as if water is running into the room. Not what I want to hear throughout the day/night. A function was on in the hotel both nights we were staying, the music vibrated through the walls until midnight. If you are going for a relaxing weekend, take this into consideration! No mirror in the main living area which meant we had to use a small space in front of the room door to get ready. Fire alarm went off twice early on the Sunday morning, both false alarms but never the less, not what I want to wake us up in the morning! Final negative, I phoned the hotel earlier in the week to see if there was anything complimentary the hotel could do as a surprise for my husband's birthday. I was told no which was very surprising considering the money I had paid. A bottle of wine or something similar would have been a nice touch. Poor service in my opinion.

Positives - excellent location, within walking distance to most of the main train stations. A short walk to the main shopping areas too. The spa across the road is fantastic, very spacious which is good for when it becomes busier. Staff in the spa are very helpful too. Breakfast was great, loads of choice & something for everyone.

All in all, I would expect more from a 4-star hotel. It done the job for us as we were there mostly for the spa facilities but if I'm honest, I would look for an alternative when/if we go to Liverpool again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

My Mum and I (49 & 27) enjoyed a weekend out of the rat race, I found the Richmond via several days of researching for the best rating for the best value. I have to say I enjoyed my stay. Reception staff were lovely, checked in swiftly found ourselves in a ground floor twin room. Bed was amazingly comfy, the giant TV was great and came in handy. Bathroom lovely, very clean, modern and nice and warm. Black out curtains! Great if your strolling in at 4am and need a good sleep. Security on the hotel which made me feel safe, very nice gentlemen they were too, gave us a tip on the best resturant in China Town. The Spa!!!! was amazing! spent 2 hrs each morning detoxing mdy body, just what was needed. *Afternoon tea, purchased a voucher via Wowcher, not up to standard really, long waiting time with no explanation, waited for tea and coffee for over 40 mins! selection minimal, would not recomend the afternoon tea, although I dont think this is a reflection on the hotel itself. overalll very impressed. 9/10

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family