“Mersey Beatles brilliant but venue and staff leave lot to be desired”
Review of Epstein Theatre

Epstein Theatre
Ranked #80 of 220 things to do in Liverpool
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Myself, my daughter and son-in-law visited theatre on Sat 24th May to see Mersey Beatles who were brilliant. On arrival women had the humiliating experience of having their bags searched for illegal food and drink. My daughter who is pregnant had to hand over a bag of crisps. We tried to find somewhere to purchase something to eat inside but we were not successful. On leaving the venue I asked the girl who had taken the crisps for them back. She very dismissively told me to ask security at the exit. I did this and he told us that the bottles of water on the table were all that was left. Brilliant! The prices at the bar are outrageous; we ordered a half of lager shandy, a J2O and a pint of San Miguel. Cost £10.35+. In the interval we had the same but substituted the lager shandy for a red wine. Cost was just under £10. There were 3 rather grubby toilets and no toilet paper. Very impressive. During the performance people behind us were talking very loudly about anything but the performance and people in seats adjacent to us (we were on the front row) kept going out for pints of ale and the man had a conversation with his party before sitting down. To me this begs two questions: Why doesn't the theatre have staff monitor behaviour and why on earth is the bar open during performances? On leaving the theatre I noticed that the aisles were awash with spilled drinks. I was disappointed that the evening was soured as the group were great and the actual seating area is lovely, small and very comfortable.

2  Thank Valerie B
in 18 reviews
in 7 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Never been to this theatre before and although despite the recent refurb from being the Neptune, it still looked like it could do with an update, toilets, entrance etc. I couldn't see a lift and there were a lot of stairs for my little one's legs, but that said a brilliant performance. There was something in it for everyone, my 4 y/o boy and 11y/o daughter but I laughed the most! We all thoroughly enjoyed it and we will definitely be back for the Christmas Pantomime.

Bought the deal on groupon so was brilliant value, but would pay full price no problems.

Some people have mentioned that you cannot take your own sweets and drinks in, but they say that in all theatre's, cinemas and concert venue's so this is no different.

2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Went to see the "Yeoman of the Guard" sat in row "H"and thoroughly enjoyed it. The recently refurbished theatre was comfortable and quaint and the staff were friendly and accommodating.

1  Thank GigiDubrovnik
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Seen a show here, show was good but the theatre is in dire need of some refurbishment. The difference between it and for example royal court is huge!! Cast were good though

2  Thank garycregan28
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 January 2014

ive never been to this theatre before so i was unsure what it was like, this was to see snow white. i was really surprised that there is no answer when u ring epstein theatre, and epstein theatre not really advertised that well. no time of when doors open to buy tickets..there is a lift. u have to look for it. otherwise u are walking up flights of stairs.customer service i didnt find professional, on the plus side there is a lounge u can sit in and have snacks and a drink before the show, good performance from cast.. oh and ur only supposed to have snacks whilst watching the pantomine that u have brought from the theatre..

1  Thank 145maggie