“Afternoon tea...so disappointed”

Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 June 2014

After having several meals and drinks over the past few months, we decided to have afternoon tea (01/06/2014). We arrived at 2.30pm and were seated and served straight away. We ordered the Champagne Afternoon Tea and were pleased with the choice of teas and sandwhiches served. The cakes were heavy and not the usual afternoon tea type - heavy fruit cake, chocolate torte, almond and apple cake but the biggest disappointment was the scones which were served with clotted cream & 4 cherries in sauce.....no jam! The scones were quite dry - certainly not fresh, we tried half with the clotted cream and gave up. When we asked for more tea. we were told that we could have one pot between two...which was enough but a strange comment! There are better places in town that serve traditional afternoon tea...give Brown's a miss. :-(

Steph R, Manager at Browns Bar & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your recent experience here at Browns; the afternoon tea has actually been revised and will be changing in the near future.

You mentioned that you frequent Browns regularly and I hope that this experience will not stop you form coming back to try all that we have on offer, perhaps you could even give the new, improved afternoon tea a go.

Kindest regards,
Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,639)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Excellent service - the restaurant is in a great location and if you have a seat upstairs you get great views of the city. The food is very good and if you go for the early dinner set menu it is really good value for money. I would strongly recommend the Browns burger it is very good - gives Hard Rock's a run for their money.

Hi Paula,

Thank you for taking the tiem to leave this review; I am always so happy to hear great feedback about about or food and our team.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I took a friend to Browns in Liverpool for lunch, as she had never heard of them. I have eaten in Browns, Covent Garden recently. We were served by Mike who was very attentive without being intrusive. The food was of a very high standard and the wine list extensive. The surroundings are chic and the atmosphere relaxing. I would highly recommend Browns for a quick bite to eat or for a special gathering.

Hi Pam,

I would liek to thank you for tanking the time to leave this fantastic feedback - I have passed on your kind words to Mike.

I do hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Myself and my friends were served by Mike tonight, what a gent!! He was there for our every need and was very helpful. The food was fab, compliments to the chef, will be recommending to friends and family! Try the two dine for £29 great value for money!

Hi Cath,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this kind review. I am glad that you enjoyed the 2 dine for £29 offer - it's an offer thats almose too good to be true!

I have passed your excellent feedback on to Mike and ensured that he was thanked for his hard work.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Ate here with a group of friends. We booked a table for 13.30, thinking that most of the lunchtime rush would be over, how wrong we were. The girl who waited on was very good , Laura I think she was called, but the food took ages to arrive and seemed to be over salted. I had the celeriac and leek soup to start (ok), and the fish n chips (covered in rock salt) not so good. The price of drinks is excessive, two large wines for nearl £16 was a joke. Will not be returning, try it yourselves, I may have just had a bad experience.

1  Thank LesKeggin

Hi Les,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this response, I am sorry to hear however that you were not completely satisfied with the service on your recent visit.

Unfortunately on particularly busy periods a number of things may result in service that is a little slower than usual, even though we do try to do all we can to prevent this. I am also sorry to hear that you felt your food was a little over seasoned, and further more I apologise that this could not have been rectified at the time.

I must stress that your experience is not a true reflection of the business and the standards in which we expect; I do hope that you will return and give us another try. Their is a fantastic offer of 3 courses for 2 people for just £29 on at the moment - just have a look on our website for details of how to get a voucher.