“Raising the bar”

Ranked #1 of 19 Bakeries in Liverpool
Price range: US$3 - US$15
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Proper bakery and cafe, centring around award wining bread and bake goods, great for Breakfast or lunch.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Pick what you are going to do - and do it really well. A sensible motto and you'd have thought it would be simple - but one that's followed so disappointingly rarely - unfortunately I think particularly in restaurants and fooderies in Liverpool. But that's what this place does - this is a bakery and they make delicious sourdough bread. They also make good coffee and sandwiches - I had one of the best pulled pork sandwiches I've ever had here. But not at the expense of being a bakery. I've bought bread here many a time and every time the crust is invitingly crisp and the bread is moist, light and airy with a great flavour - just like sourdough should be. The white, brown, olive and walnut are all excellent. It isn't cheap but that sort of quality and consistency takes a lot of work and real attention to detail - keep it up.

1  Thank 114Chris

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Amazing bread, patisserie and sandwiches. Really friendly staff and lots of options for vegetarians too. I will definitely return!

1  Thank asherkenton
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Haunt of the Eco friendly Sefton Pk tree hugging set. Interesting concept, but limited menu. I found the bread tasteless in spite of rave reviews. I won't be a regular but would suggest you make up your own mind.

1  Thank 57JPC
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I am obsessed with sour dough bread but have been unable to make it at home. The last time I had great sour dough was when I bought a loaf at the food festival in Sefton Park years ago. So, I was delighted to visit Baltic Bakehouse with my friend and have such great bread again. We had lovely sausage and bacon sandwiches and devoured them. Coffee was great too, served in individual cafetieres with a timer so we knew when to plunge! Hot milk was a great touch too. Luckily I bought 2 loaves of sour dough as they were nearly sold out and it was mid morning! I also bought organic flour so will have a go again at making the elusive bread. I have since devoured the bread at home. Not good for the figure! A real gem of a bakery/cafe which is small and rustic. They could expand with no problem but I don't want them too! Let's hope standards aren't ever lowered as they produce a premium product which is really appreciated!

2  Thank WirralCatherine
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Liverpool was crying out for a decent bakery, then along came the Baltic Bakehouse and it's prayers were answered.
It's difficult to find a seat in here, but there's a reason for that - they're popular and busy!
The bread is incredible, both the yeasted and the sourdough are delicious. Ok it's not the cheapest bread I've ever bought but in this case, you get what you pay for and it's more than worth it for the flavour and texture of the bread.
But it's not just bread they do well here.
The pastries and sticky buns are to die for, the pastry they create is so thin and crisp it doesn't seem possible. I've never had pastry that good anywhere, I certainly can't replicate it at home!
The food and coffee are also delicious, and sitting people watching in their window with a bacon butty made with sour dough for breakfast is something you just can't beat, it's a match made in heaven, especially with the coffee they sell here.
They also sell local flour, ground coffee and local tea alongside the bread.
Sounds too good to be true, but it's not. This place is incredible and I can't recommend it enough.

2  Thank Darkembers