“Dreadful”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Serves Alcohol
“Dreadful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

Situated where it is and with such competition I cannot understand how this place exists. To be fair, we went several years ago and the place was really nice, we sat downstairs and had a fantastic meal.

However, this time around, downstairs was an old mans pub and stunk of smoke. I had my kids with me but felt so self concious and just wanted to leave.

Sat upstairs, no longer serve downstairs, it was freezing cold, the food and drink was dreadful. What has happened?

When you look at the menu, you can normally see a trend or clue as to the direction of the restaurant, here you loook at the menu and immediatley know the food will be crap as there is no continuity at all. The food we were served I would not serve at home, even just to my immediate family, never mind anyone else.

Service was just as bad, simply avoid at all costs. There are so many eateries in the vicinity I am staggered at how awful this place is #livingoffformerglories

3 Thank Robin P

“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

I cannot believe the negative reviews of
Vinci. I bought a LIving Social voucher fir myself & my girlfriend. We couldn't get our first choice of date, but this was to be expected as the deal was coming to an end.
We went on a Thursday night & yes there were men drinking in the bar! We sat upstairs & were told by the staff that it was so they could accommodate as many vouchers as possible. I have used similar vouchers & this is always an issue. The meal was fantastic. The service excellent. We have already been back & paid full price! If you buy cheap deal vouchers, you must be prepared to go when they have reservations available. Don't knock a business just because you left it too late!
Keep up the good work Vinci!!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Money for nothing, how is this legal?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

I also had a similar experience when using a Living Social Deal Voucher. I was conned into paying good money for absolutely nothing at all in return from this business. I purchased a Living Social Voucher which was also valid for the same period of time and I too found it impossible to arrange a reservation.

I too was also assured on more than one occasion that they were fully booked (solidly) for the last couple of weeks of this promotion. I pointed out that this was not fair and that it was not Gordon Ramseys restaurant or Marco Pierre Whites I wanted to visit and that it was ridiculous to be waiting weeks for a reservation, especially when a deadline existed. I was told that they had other customers to consider - not just the ones who had paid for their meals in advance!

Clearly this wine bar/restaurant was happy to take payment in advance from some customers and that it was now refusing to honour this obligation because of circumstances that were outside those customers control. When I finally spoke to the Manageress she was totally unapologetic at taking money off me without providing any service or refund, blaming me for having not booked the meal earlier in July or August!

I was basically told that I was a liar and that she had been assured by Living Social no moral or legal obligation whatsoever to extend the voucher period, despite these being valid for up to 5 years in some circumstances. At the end of the day this was not Gordon Ramsey's restaurant or Marco Pierre Whites that I was waiting weeks for a reservation to, just a small wine bar in Allerton Road. Needless to say there was no problem whatsoever arranging a reservation here once the disputed deal had expired.

In conclusion, and to be fair I have eaten here several times before and have always enjoyed the meals and the service that I received but I do not believe that it can be legal or morally right to take money off customers in advance, only to then tell them "tough luck, we are fully booked up!" and offer the customer nothing whatsoever in return?

2 Thank chris c
liverpool
“I mixed bag...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

My family and I went to Vinci after purchasing a special offer from one of the new discount voucher sites.

I had a few problems making a reservation as the first 3 dates I asked for were full and the only day we could book was Halloween. It wasn't too bad as our son is only 2 and so a little young to go to any Halloween parties.

We arrived about 10/15 minutes early and they asked us to wait in the bar. This was a little unpleasant. It was a very masculine environment and was a little dingey feeling. There were groups of men watching sport on TVs and so I didn't feel like I could let my son get down because he would be in the way. No I know that people watch sport bars this is not what I am complaining about but if they welcome families to the restaurant they should really have appropriate facilities.

When we went up to the restaurant we were seated at a table for 4 and had to ask for a High Chair... I did request a High Chair when making the reservation...

They bought me a really very grotty high chair that was full of crisps (I had to clean in myself) and was wonky. I was really nervous that my little boys weight would make the chair tip over as it was leaning to one side all night. Plus the type of chair was inappropriate to put up against the table and I felt like our son was sat a mile away from us and in the way of the waitress walking past.

The menu was varied and they only had one thing that was not available.

My Husband ordered the Meatballs followed by the Steak. I ordered the Soup followed by the Sea Bass and Risotto.

The Meatballs were dry and the sauce was florescent... The Steak was really lovely, Juicy, tasty and still pink inside.

The soup was completely unseasoned. This is a real bugbear of mine... A chef should have the confidence to season his soups. You can never get the same flavour by adding salt and pepper at the table. The Fish was delicious but the Risotto was awful. It was covered in cream and cheese. I asked the waiter if there was cheese in the Risotto and he said that he chef said no but that there was cream. Well cream should never be added to Risotto and I simply don't believe that there was no cheese in it. I couldn't eat anymore than the first mouthful.

The waitress was lovely and very attentive.

Overall it wasn't terrible but they need to address a few issue.

I don't think we will return.

“Good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

we had a few problems booking a table , but this was my fault as I left it until quite close to the expiry date of the voucher,which was yesterday & the restaurant was not willing to extend this date.... However 4 of us went last night and had a lovely meal with starters and mains of sirloin steak , 4 large drinks, not the usual tiny ones that are often served with voucher deals !
Good service , didn't wait to long to be served and overall very pleased , reasonably priced drinks too .

• Visited November 2012