“Disappointing”

Ranked #105 of 1,845 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Barbecue, British, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Smugglers Cove, Albert Docks hidden treasure offers a world breaking record of 151 world-famous rums, over 50 bottled beers, real ales and hosts the finest choice of Champagnes. If that's not enough we also boast an intriguing list of rum-based cocktails such as a Pink Parrot, The Nipperkin, Black Cherry Martin, as well as all the classics such as a Cosmopolitan and Long Island Iced Tea. Food at The Smugglers Cove is made to warm your heart with home comforts such as fish & chips, bangers & mash as well great sharing foods served in the form of a rustic deli boards and classic prawn cocktail, calamari and pork crackling. Not to mention live music every night, except on Sundays it's on in the afternoon time. Sing A Song Thursdays (9pm) From the comfort of your seat, with your friends, simply fill in a request for your greatest anthem and our talented musician will play your song for you all to sing along to!! Bookings can be made for any day either by the website or over the phone, except for Saturday and Sunday daytimes as this is treated as a first come, first serve.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have given average as we were a large party and most enjoyed their food, nearly all had steak. To be fair when we booked in a party of 20 they were reluctant as busy that night. We ate last in the whole restaurant with food arriving at 10pm we were booked in at 8.15pm. This is way to late for me - we ordered breads to stave the hunger. When my food arrived a chicken skewer last of all it was cold, the onion petals - dont call them rings were soggy and oily - obviously been hanging around far too long. When I complained I was told they are like that when cooked as were petals not rings !!!!!! For goodness sake !! My chicken was replaced quickly with a hot skewer but this was now 10.20 with many of my party having finished their food. Again to be fair my meal was not charged for and neither were the onion "petals". But I was beyond hunger and tired and bad tempered too ater this wait.
I would like to re visit and this time will listen to my colleagues and have steak as they loved it, I would not also be in such a large group.
So in all dissapointed is how I feel - I think it could have been so much better, sometimes having a free meal is all that can be offered, and it was willingly, the staff front of house were apologetic - it wasn't their fault.
But my evening was spoilt !
I hope this review is seen as fair - and is honest from my experience, but I would not go as far as to say avoid as that would be way to harsh.

TheSmugglersCov... A, Guest Relations Manager at The Smugglers Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate all comments and take on board what you have said. We would be happy to discuss in more detail if you want to get in touch by emailing liverpoolbdm@thesmugglerscove.uk.com

The Smugglers Cove

Write a ReviewReviews (2,037)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Went with my 12 year old son for lunch and a friend. Considering I'd had to book 2 months in advance I think I was expecting a little bit more from the experience.
The food was lovely; the service good; the decor great, but I thought it was a bit expensive for what you got; and I left feeling a bit of an anti-climax. It could be so much more.
I would like to go back of an evening and half a drink with adult friends as I can imagine it has quite a different scene then.

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all reviews and take on board your comments, thank you for taking the time to write it.

We hope your come back and try us in the evening like you said.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

i have only given this rating as we didn't eat here but just went to the bar. Lovely cosy atmosphere and live music on at the time with free entry. This is part of the chain that owns Oast House spinningfields manchester and we have eaten there. Menu is the same so I have every confidence that it will be good and a bonus at Smugglers Cove is that you can book a table. Bar prices average for a city but have lots of different types of ales and beers. looking forward to going back and trying the menu

Dear Liverpool City Girl,

Pleased to hear you think we have potential. Thank you for the review and we hope you keep coming back.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 5 May 2014

First visit to smugglers cove Liverpool, excellent food, excellent staff service, excellent restaurant.
Looking forward to a return visit in the very near future..

Dear Paul,

We love reading reviews that include the word excellent, thank you!!

We look forward to welcoming your back.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Another great experience you have to visit but it is a mist to book as it is so busy at nights very popular and a great meal.

Dear Freddie,

Thanks for another great review, your a true loyal Smuggler!!

keep coming back.