“Average food, average waiting on but brilliant bar & entertainment”
Review of The Smugglers Cove

Ranked #117 of 1,716 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Barbecue, British, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Smugglers Cove, Albert Docks hidden treasure offers a world breaking record of 151 world-famous rums, over 50 bottled beers, real ales and hosts the finest choice of Champagnes. If that's not enough we also boast an intriguing list of rum-based cocktails such as a Pink Parrot, The Nipperkin, Black Cherry Martin, as well as all the classics such as a Cosmopolitan and Long Island Iced Tea. Food at The Smugglers Cove is made to warm your heart with home comforts such as fish & chips, bangers & mash as well great sharing foods served in the form of a rustic deli boards and classic prawn cocktail, calamari and pork crackling. Not to mention live music every night, except on Sundays it's on in the afternoon time. Sing A Song Thursdays (9pm) From the comfort of your seat, with your friends, simply fill in a request for your greatest anthem and our talented musician will play your song for you all to sing along to!! Bookings can be made for any day either by the website or over the phone, except for Saturday and Sunday daytimes as this is treated as a first come, first serve.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Average food, average waiting on but brilliant bar & entertainment”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Mr partner and I visited here on Saturday night. The restaurant gets booked up weeks in advances so we would not get in to eat until 22:30 - however as it was my partner's birthday we wanted to eat out somewhere a bit different.

We arrived at 21:30 and asked if we would eat a bit earlier, they said they would keep us informed but had no space at the time. We went to the bar and ordered 2 1/2 pint small cokes which costs £4!!! However we noticed that 1/2 a pint of beer was £1.70?? Doesn’t make sense! The coke was horrendously watered down. The atmosphere around the bar area was absolutely buzzing and all bar staff were very friendly. The live singer was also very good, I would definitely recommend Smugglers Cove for a night out! At about 22:00 we decided we would go for a walk around the dock and left our telephone number with the waitress in case a table came up any earlier. We received a phone call at 22:15 advising us a table became vacant. We found this good of the staff.

We sat down however we could barely see each other as it was so dark inside. We could also barely hear each other or our waitress because of the noise from the bar. I assume this would be different if we were to eat during the afternoon/early evening. Therefore I would not recommend eating here after dusk or when there is live entertainment.

The food was well presented. I ordered fish and chips which came in a wooden barrel and mushy peas in a shell - it was good that it was presented in keeping with the theme. Chips were scrummy and the fish was absolutely massive!! However fish was lacking a bit of taste, didn’t really taste much. Service in the restaurant was quick however we both felt that the waitresses could have smiled a bit more, been a bit more friendly/chatted to us a bit more. Couldn’t really get a smile out of them.

During the meal my partner had a large lemonade which was not watered down and I had a peach mojito which was absolutely gorgeous.
I would recommend here if you want to eat somewhere a bit different, but not so late at night like we did.

• Visited May 2014
TheSmugglersCov... A, Guest Relations Manager at The Smugglers Cove, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Alison,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We appreciate all feedback and take on board all your comments.

Kind regards,

• Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“top restaurant”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

first visit here last night after several recommendations. Top food, top service, top night!...best place Ive been in ages, food was superb, atmosphere was excellent,our waitress Zara was delightful, we would ask for her again. Even the manager visited every table to make sure things were ok!!!....cannot fault this place at all...will be going back and taking the kids....COMPLETELY RECOMMENDED!!!!

• Visited May 2014
TheSmugglersCov... A, Guest Relations Manager at The Smugglers Cove, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Dave,

Thank you for your great review, we really appreciate it and will pass on your comments to Sara.

Northampton, United Kingdom
“A fantastic place to eat”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

A fantastic atmosphere, awesome staff and great food at a fair price. Overall a brilliant concept. I will be visiting this place every time I go to Liverpool.

Visited May 2014
TheSmugglersCov... A, Guest Relations Manager at The Smugglers Cove, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Tony,

We are so pleased to hear that whenever you are visiting Liverpool from Northampton you will be visiting us, than you for the great review.

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Well what a place, great warm atmosphere.....staff very friendly an welcoming! The food was fantastic, even though I ordered roast chicken then told run out, but that's ok as had a lovely burger & coleslaw was amazing! Will be back here as we enjoyed our visit. A welcome haven after a difficult visit to see my father in hospital. Thanks team. :-)

Visited May 2014
Dear Dawn,

This is a lovely review, thank you for taking the time to write it. Glad you still enjoyed your meal, the burgers are popular!!

Hope you keep coming back.

Best Wishes
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have given average as we were a large party and most enjoyed their food, nearly all had steak. To be fair when we booked in a party of 20 they were reluctant as busy that night. We ate last in the whole restaurant with food arriving at 10pm we were booked in at 8.15pm. This is way to late for me - we ordered breads to stave the hunger. When my food arrived a chicken skewer last of all it was cold, the onion petals - dont call them rings were soggy and oily - obviously been hanging around far too long. When I complained I was told they are like that when cooked as were petals not rings !!!!!! For goodness sake !! My chicken was replaced quickly with a hot skewer but this was now 10.20 with many of my party having finished their food. Again to be fair my meal was not charged for and neither were the onion "petals". But I was beyond hunger and tired and bad tempered too ater this wait.
I would like to re visit and this time will listen to my colleagues and have steak as they loved it, I would not also be in such a large group.
So in all dissapointed is how I feel - I think it could have been so much better, sometimes having a free meal is all that can be offered, and it was willingly, the staff front of house were apologetic - it wasn't their fault.
But my evening was spoilt !
I hope this review is seen as fair - and is honest from my experience, but I would not go as far as to say avoid as that would be way to harsh.

• Visited April 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate all comments and take on board what you have said. We would be happy to discuss in more detail if you want to get in touch by emailing liverpoolbdm@thesmugglerscove.uk.com