“Bitterly disappointing portion sizes ”
Review of Et Alia

Et Alia
Ranked #368 of 1,715 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
“Bitterly disappointing portion sizes ”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

As a family of five, we initially visited this enticing looking restaurant on a busy Friday night. The atmosphere in there was good and the service was very pleasant. Several of us decided to order the chorizo pasta dish which was very nice but unfortunately the portion size was mind numbingly small. I honestly feel that even my pet hamster would have left feeling slightly peckish if he were to order the same dish. The food was very nice but we all genuinely left hungry given the fact that the portion presented in front of us wouldn't like out of place as a starter. Despite this, we went for a return visit several months later and reordered the very same dish. We informed the waiter that last time we were disappointed with the portion size and he confidently assured us that this would not be the case this time. Despite this mans convincing sales pitch, the portions were absolutely identical in size. In light of this, we left feeling malnourished and so had to grab some nibbles from the petrol station on the way home.

5 Thank Icemanthefoodexpert
Hi Icemanthefoodexpert,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments about Est Est.

Food portion sizes are one area within the restaurant industry that will always cause debate and divide opinion. At Est Est, we carefully devise and develop our menu to reflect our overall objectives of providing the most authentic flavours and dishes for our customers. We use both locally sourced ingredients and items imported from various regions of Italy in our kitchen. We focus on the quality of our food and the flavoursome dishes on our menu.

We are sorry that our portion sizes did not meet your standard but would please politely ask all our diners who encounter a problem to let us know. If pointed out to our team, we could act quickly to rectify the situation, especially if they had assured you that the portion would be bigger.

We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed the dish and will pass both positive and negative comments onto our kitchen team for review.

liverpool
“Awful”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Was looking forward to a nice meal out with my wife. Instead of this I got what tasted like microwave lasagne and a headache from all the noise in the restaurant. Wouldn't advise anyone to go there.

• Visited August 2014
5 Thank KeithLFC1
The Red H, Manager at Et Alia, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for your review of Est Est.

All our dishes are cooked with the finest, freshest ingredients and made fresh each day.

As a popular local Italian restaurant, at busy periods it can be bustling with activity and chatter.

We appreciate that the energy and vibrancy of our restaurant may not appeal to all but would like to suggest daytime afternoons as the quieter, and therefore less noisy, periods in the restaurant.

Many thanks for your review

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had dinner at Est Est on a wednesday evening with 5 friends. Unfortunately it didnt live up to expectation.
The service was poor and slow. Our waiter felt that a regular wink would sort out the problem of drinks not arriving, my meal arriving 5 minutes later than the rest of the group, not knowing if they had any tea apart form 'normal tea'. Yes, we were a group of women, but winking just doesnt cut it. An appology would have sufficed
Unfortunately my meal meal was also disappointing. I ordered the risotto, maybe the rush to get it to the table before my friends had finished their meal, caused it to be undercooked, but the char grilled chicken was cold- an unusual combination.
However I must admit my friends appeared to have enjoyed their pasta dishes, although the main portion size of the pasta appeared the same size as the starter portion size- the only difference was a different size plate. I would have been interested in having something from their grill menu, but having to pay extra for every extra was putting the prize up far too much.
Unfortuantely it was all a bit rushed ( we had the bill handed it to us before even considering asking for it), all very much average, but with above average prices.
I will not be rushing back

1 Thank cat w
Hi Cat

Thank you for leaving us your comments from your experience at Est Est.

We take all reviews and comments, positive and negative, seriously. The issue of winking at customers will be brought up at our next staff meeting as we agree, verbal communication would ensure that you knew the situation with drinks and food. We can only apologise for your late meal and the lack of knowledge with the tea. (We just indeed serve English breakfast tea at Est Est).

We hope that you will be back at Est Est and find the pace of your experience much more relaxed.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

A party of 6 adults went for a meal on Sunday afternoon 20/7/2014.The food was good and was enjoyed in pleasant surroundings served by courteous staff. It’s worth a visit and we would go again.

1 Thank Mike C
Hi Mike

Many thanks for your review of Est Est. We're glad to hear that you had a great time and enjoyed your visit.

We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Thanks

manchester
“Had really high hopes........ but seriously bad!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was really looking forward to going to Est Est. I'd driven past it and always seemed fairly busy and looked really appealing. Finally got the chance for a family party, and have to say it's probably one of the worst dining experiences I've ever had.

First the good tho - decor is nice, new and fresh. There's a mix of high bench tables and traditional seating. The bar is nice and the bartender seemed to come across really well and welcoming. The menu looked good and some great combinations could be had between pasta dishes as a starter and some really appealing main courses. Prices are ok - not particularly cheap but not over the top, and the wine list is very reasonable with some really good wines.

Now the bad - We arrived and the table wasn't ready. It's a small place and we were asked to have a drink at the bar. Unfortunately if you have a party of 5 as we did, it basically means you are having a drink at the elbow of someone eating, which certainly can't be nice for the diner. When we eventually did get our table, it was 3 single tables pushed together with 6 chairs opposite each other, which sort of made it difficult for a group of 5 to talk and felt more like a school cafeteria.

I ordered a Spaghetti Carbonara starter and a fillet steak wrapped in parma ham medium rare as a main course. The Carbonara was served, I was not asked if I wanted Parmesan or pepper - had to ask for that myself, and it was mouth blisteringly hot - I have no idea how you can get food that hot. Then the fillet arrived. Cutting the first piece the steak looked like it had been part of a carvery that had been going for a week. It appeared massively overcooked and a million miles away from medium rare.

Not really wanting to make a scene with it being a family birthday I eventually had to call the waiter over and ask them to change it as it was just utterly overcooked. I know some restaurants definition of medium rare vary, so this was the opportunity for me to be told this. Instead, the waiter took the dish away, cut the steak in half, brought it back to me saying that it was pink in the middle and did I still want it. Not only that, but another waiter had come over and the manager. So I now have 3 staff members around me trying to get me to take back a steak that is now cut up for me, a restaurant of people looking over and my family starting to get embarrassed. Against my better judgement and I'm furious with myself for doing this, I took the steak back. Couldn't finish it. It was terrible.

After that the atmosphere just changed. It was an awful night and I couldn't wait to get out of there. Even the staff came over and asked if they could get us a taxi - whether that was policy or they wanted us out too I have no idea.

In terms of the other food, comments were that the veal didn't taste of anything, the fish was quite good and the pate........ oh please - "Do you want more bread with your pate" was the question from the waitress - they brought over sliced brown bread.

So yeah..... won't be going back. The food might be ok, but the customer service really is below par.

4 Thank Blueuk808
The Red H, Manager at Et Alia, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hi Blueuk808,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your experience at Est Est. I hope we can take a moment to address some of the concerns you have raised.

Firstly, to address the problem of seating five people. All of our tables in the restaurant are square or rectangular which means that where there is an odd number of people, unless one person sits at one end of the table, there will always be a space missing. In your case, we felt that putting one diner on the end of the table in the space allocated would be a little restrictive, so to give more room we seated you opposite one another. We sadly don’t have any circular tables in our restaurant that may have made this feel like you were more evenly distributed.

We are sorry that you felt embarrassed at the situation with the steak. Our staff endeavour to provide the best food and service possible and their feedback is that they were concerned and wanted to resolve the situation. However, we can appreciate that this concern became overwhelming and we have addressed this with staff at our latest meeting. We would never want a valued customer to feel like they couldn’t express their wishes honestly.

To reassure you, it is indeed our policy to ask guests if they would like a taxi. We know that sometimes it can take a while during busy periods for transport to arrive and we like to aid diners in ensuring that they have adequate, and safe transport home.

We are sorry that your dining experience at Est Est was below expectations on this occasion but would like to reassure you that all reviews and comments are taken seriously and acted upon. As an independent business in Liverpool, we are striving to achieve the very best food and service that we can in our authentic Italian restaurant. When this doesn’t happen, we take the opportunity to turn negatives into positives with continued and ongoing staff training in both the kitchen and dining areas.

Thank you for your time in highlighting these points to us.