“Great place, shame about the toilets though!”
Review of Berry & Rye

Berry & Rye
Ranked #7 of 205 Nightlife in Liverpool
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Visited the Berry and Rye with friends this weekend and had a lovely time. When we first arrived it was full unfortunately and we were told to return in half an hour, which we did with no problems. The doorman seemed like a nice fella and was perfectly polite to us and the bar staff were very nice too.
The selection of whisky and gin cocktails is very good and it is not too expensive either (around £7 a cocktail) and they also have a small selection of bar snacks including a cheese board.
The place has a good atmosphere and I haven't been anywhere like it in Liverpool. There is an experience as well when you go with the menu being hidden in a book, tap water being served with your alcoholic drinks and it was actually really nice to get table service and pay at the end rather than having to queue up at the bar.
The only down side were the toilets. There is only one ladies toilet in the bar and it was dirty and rather smelly too, this obviously needs to be addressed and is the only reason why I didn't give it 5 stars.
We all had a great evening though and I will definitely be back.

There are newer reviews for Berry & Rye

Reviewed 4 March 2014

If you like gin and/or whiskey this is worth a visit. Quite secretive, you need to knock on the unmarked door to be let in. Once in you enter a small bar with personal service, the surroundings are very interesting, the atmosphere intimate. The bar man is attentive and helpful, and very knowledgeable about mixing cocktails. I loved the place and can't wait to go back

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Difficult place to find but well worth the effort. Great cocktails and really friendly service. It is very small so it can be difficult to get in. It's best to phone ahead to see if there is space or they can save a table.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

This place is a hidden gem that I always tell friends who are visiting the city about. It's hard to find, an unassuming black shop front, and then even when you open the door you might still think it's closed until you pull back the thick black curtain. Inside the atmosphere and music replicated a 1930s prohibition drinking den, with the cocktail menus hidden inside old hardback novels. We were seated, brought complementary glasses of water and our orders taken.

Despite the decor and ambience being exceptional and unique, what really makes Berry & Rye stand out is their bar staff. They knew the menu inside out and brought us the most delicious, freshly mixed cocktails I've ever had. We ended up staying for two or three so we could try out more of the menu.

Berry & Rye is a little out of my normal price range (understandable given the service and quality of ingredients) but is definitely my first choice for a celebration or treat. Keep up the good work!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Been here a few times and every time have had a pleasant experience.
The cocktails which are made are very nice and they focus mainly on whiskey and gin concoctions. Although not a major whiskey fan myself, one of the waitresses is always willing to suggest alternatives, and the service is second to none! the atmosphere is amazing! Being a Great Gatsby fan, this bar appeals to my interest in 1920's America wherein you get a real feeling that you are in an actual Speakeasy.The 'nibbles' are also fantastic. I occasionally order the wazabi nutz/rice crackers combo and other times go for the bread and oils, both of which are excellent! The only criticism which I could say is that the cocktail sizes are a bit petite for the price which you pay, so there is a dillema of quality or quantity i.e. they are certainly of a high quality, but of a small measure.
Would recommend it for the experience !