“Authentic Indian/Nepali food”

Da Gurkha
Ranked #6 of 1,849 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Nepalese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Restaurant closed 4th to 21st April.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I being Indian always get disappointed when I go to Indian restaurants away from London as majority of them are run by Bangladeshi people under Indian names. There food taste would be totally different than I would like to see. This is authentic place for real indian/nepali food. Owner is friendly and helpful who would always help you to choose dishes and also adjust the taste to suit your needs.

I highly recommend this for authentic indian food. Whenever I am in Liverpool and I feed to eat Indian I go to this place.

3  Thank Parag K

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The family decided to go for a mid week meal, and opted for Waterloo, instead of heading in to Liverpool City centre ... boy was I happy we did that. The childrens food was excellent, freshly cooked, and super tasty Nepalese food. I won on the meal front, going for one of the Grill chicken dishes .. and it was possibly the best spiced meal I have ever had. The restaurant is nice, but does lack a bit of atmosphere, but that is hardly an issue when the food is so nice.

Well done!

1  Thank CP_Lpool
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Me and my girlfriend went to this restaurant on Saturday evening. We are big fans of the Arong takeaway down the road but opted to try something a little different.

Started with the mixed platter which was lovely - the chicken soft and full of flavour, the lamb chop a bit more spicy and the prawns which were sweet and delicious. We got the dips but skipped the poppadoms.

I had the Lamb Bhutuwa with Lumbini Rice, whilst my girlfriend opted for the sea bass dish. We also had a Gurkha bread to share. I was mightily impressed with my dish, I like my curries quite hot but this had just the right amount of chilli heat and you could really taste the other spices which gave the sauce a really deep flavour. My girl really enjoyed her sea bass too, with thoughtful spicing which did not mask the sweet and delicate flavour of the fish. The rice and bread were superb too, you know it's good when the rice is so flavourful you could eat it on it's own!

Service did feel a little rushed and I guess a lot of people like attentiveness from the front of house staff but sometimes you want to be left alone especially as a couple, but the manager was super friendly and I'd rather that than some miserable sod!

Will deffo go again to try out some other dishes. £40 for a starter and main meal for two including a nice wine and a pint of Asahi isn't too bad and I've paid nearly that amount for terrible takeaway Indian food in the past.

2  Thank thezebralad
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Da Gurka restaurant in Waterloo has to be one of the best places i have eaten in a long time. The atmosphere was really good and the owner welcomed you in as if he was inviting you into his home. The staff were friendly and atentive. The food was fresh and full of flavour, and also, the price was next to nothing. I would recomend anyone to go there!

1  Thank smurph1986
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We visited Da Gurkha in Crosby last Saturday for the first time, all four of us are big curry fans but had never tried Nepalese cuisine. The food was fantastic, the platter starter was superb and the main course was also first class.

The staff could not have been more helpful, especially Netra who guided us through the menu.

We will be back, soon!