“Not bad but could be so much better!”
Review of Sir Thomas Hotel

Sir Thomas Hotel
Ranked #54 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 3 July 2014

In chronological order: check-in - we were told where the room was but no further information about breakfast/services, booked a luxury double so was surprised we had tiny bathroom with small shower with fixed head - no shower caps provided so shorter people can't opt out of washing hair! Very disappointed to return to hotel at 10.45pm and bar closed - fortunately pub over road still serving and v friendly and cheap! Finally - breakfast was OK although ordering poached eggs instead of full English seemed to mean we got served long after others who came in after us! Main issue was the temperature in breakfast room - sweltering! They appear to be aware of this but don't do anything about it - wouldn't want to be there in the height of summer! It is a city centre hotel so traffic noise is ever present as are the screeching seagulls!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed 4 nights , rooms a bit dated and basic but location was great ,right in the middle of things . Breakfast was lovely and very good value at 4 pounds . Staff were friendly and heplful , young man on reception (Tim) was so helpful ,we needed aboarding pass printed off at the end of our stay and nothing was to much trouble for him . Would return to stay in this hotel any time .

Room Tip: Request a room with black out blinds .
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Hotel staff were very friendly, rooms comfortable and clean, continental breakfast was lovely, but would only cost an extra £4, to have a full English, very good value, only down side, after a wonderful evening at the echo areana, we came back to the hotel just after 11, to have a final drink and a relax before going to your room, only to be told bar closed, even to residents, never had that in a hotel before, and to try Tesco up the road and take it back to your room, would have been nice to finish off the evening with glass of wine, dont think keeping the bar open till possibly 12, should be a problem in a hotel, few other guests also commented on this, would be nice after a show to relax before going up,

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights during the week in April. We had a first floor room and the traffic noise prevented me getting hardly any sleep.

The rooms are very dated, but the downstairs area is nice. Breakfast was okay, nothing special.

They also charged me an extra £60 retainer in case of damage... I've never had that at a hotel before but I found it odd.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
SirThomas, Manager at Sir Thomas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Guest,
I am sorry to hear about the issues you had on your recent stay with us. If you would have contacted the Reception team I am sure we could have moved your room to a quieter part of the Hotel.
As regards to the retainer you have mentioned in your review this is merely a security imprint on a credit or debit card which expires after you vacate the Hotel. This is Hotel policy and is standard practice in all Hotels across the country.
I am also pleased to inform you that all of our bedrooms have now been newly refurbished. Should you ever decide to visit Liverpool again in the near future please contact our Reservations team on 0151-236-1366 and I am sure we can offer you a preferential rate in one of our new bedrooms to make up for the issues you encountered on your last stay.
Kind regards

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The person working at the reception was very helpful. The room was clean and the bed was confortable but the street was noisy all night. The breakfast was also very nice with a buffet for the continental breakfast and the possibility to order an English breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I hit the jackpot staying at the Sir Thomas. The offered a great deal online so I booked a room a month before arriving (requesting a quiet, refurbished room). When I arrived they upgraded me to a Jr. Suite on the top floor (3rd floor, Room 308). This room was very spacious with a king bed, 2 high back chairs, desk, and large TV. The bathroom was also large and had a tub. Staying at the Sir Thomas really made my first visit to Liverpool special. The front desk staff were very courteous and helpful. When I mentioned I wanted to take the Magical Mystery Beatles Tour the kind young lady at the desk offered to book the tour for me right then and there and gave me directions where to go. The full breakfast was outstanding and the dining room's ambiance is very elegant and classy. I had some nice chats about the Beatles with the gracious, friendly dining room hostess. When I asked her for some mint tea bags to make tea in the evening, she kindly gave me some. The hotel is within an easy walk to the Lime Street Train Station (approx. 10-15 minutes) and less than a 5-minute walk to the famous Beatles venue the Cavern Club on Mathew Street --- the perfect location for a Beatles fan like me. It was an easy 10 minute or so walk to catch the Mersey Ferry too. Also within easy walking distance is the Liverpool One shops. At night I did hear music coming from a club on the small side street but because I was on the top floor it didn't bother me. I was so lucky to have found this great hotel and would definitely stay there again. I work hard for my money and Sir Thomas made me feel like a queen.

Room Tip: Request a quiet, refurbished room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Wendy K
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Where do I start with this place, I was staying here on the 23/05/14 as alternative from the Marriott where I traveled to for a wedding reception, I booked a suite for £120 thinking I was getting a smart room for £120 I paid? to my disgust it was very dated shabby looking and smelt of dampness, It only had a double bed not a king or queen to what suites are ment to have, But thought lets not make a fuss and leave as we were at reception at the Marriott all day so were ready to go out.
A know if my partner had of seen this it would of been a different story!
Then when we got into hotel late AM very intoxicated with drink, As we walked into are room I started walking on the floor and my socks became wet!!!!! Looked up to my horror the ceilings were soaked major leak from the outside down pour, I thought this is all a need marched down to reception and was told no problem we will get you another room, Only turned around and said all we have is a twin you will have to go in there haha what a joke of a hotel I paid £120 for a twin basic room and no compensation I wrote a complaint to this hotel to what I got no reply!!!!
If I give any advice to anybody at all Please Please stay away from here HORENDOUS!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple