“lovely bar”
Review of J. McGuffie & Co.

J. McGuffie & Co.
Ranked #28 of 217 Nightlife in Liverpool
Reviewed 6 August 2014

small bar with out door seating, variety of beers and cocktails available. friendly atmosphere, relaxing experience.

All reviews
"castle street"
in 12 reviews
"lovely bar"
"walked past this place"
in 2 reviews
"great range of cocktails"
"proper cocktails"
"visiting liverpool"
"draught"
"alchemist"

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Visited this fab little bar on a Wednesday evening. I was undecided about what cocktail to have and the lovely girl behind the bar asked what I normally liked to drink. She suggested she make me something - a few minutes later I had the most fantastic gin based cocktail made with fresh blackberries and presented beautifully. I tried four different cocktails and they were all amazing - not like the syrupy rubbish most bars offer.

I would definitely recommend this vibrant, friendly place.

Visited July 2014

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Visited this fab little bar on a Wednesdsy evening. I was undecided about what cocktail to have and the lovely girl behind the bar asked what I normally liked to drink. She suggested she make me something - a few minutes later I had the most fantastic gin based cocktail made with fresh blackberries and presented beautifully. I tried four different cocktails and they were all amazing - not like the syrupy rubbish most bars offer.

I would definitely recommend thus vibrant, friendly place.

1  Thank Susie F
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We've been to McGuffie's a couple of times previously and had always found the service and drinks very good - real treat to go there. However, when we went there last Friday for some margaritas we found that, in terms of staff, it had really gone downhill. We ordered three margaritas and then waited by the door for an outside table to become available. Couldn't believe that two guys paid their bill but then continued to sit at the table for ages, without staff making any effort to suggest they might want to move on. Eventually sat down and our margaritas arrived, but no salt around the rims of the glasses - we pointed out that this was a fairly crucial attribute of a margarita, but were told by the waiter that they didn't have any salt because they didn't serve food. Despite our protests he said there was nothing he could do. A few minutes later, the waitress who'd made the margaritas came out - she's very clearly the rude waitress (sometimes described as manageress) that I now see lots of the other reviewers in the last few months have been complaining about below. She said that margaritas definitely didn't need to have salt and reiterated that they had no salt anyway. [See this link for a BBC recipe for a proper salty margarita: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/classicmargarita_84327] We were clearly not impressed, particularly as she pulled a sulky face as she left us, and neither she nor the waiter had apologised for their substandard cocktail.
We won't be going back until they find staff that (a) know how to mix proper cocktails (see someone else's complaint below about a g&t) and (b) deal with customers in a polite and friendly way - doesn't seem too much to ask for.

4  Thank Ian S