“Liverpool has a new star striker restaurant & hotel!”

24 Catharine Street Hotel
Ranked #61 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I am often in Liverpool either on business or for pleasure and friends in the area recommended we come for dinner here. In London we are not short of great places to eat and stay but I was not disappointed at all by our experience of the Blackthorne!

After receiving a warm welcome we had a lovely meal. The range of food on the menu was varied and what we had was very tasty but well priced! We actually ended up staying in the hotel for a couple of nights....again the rooms were clean, comfortable, well priced and had everything we needed included!

I would have no hesitation in recommending the Blackthorne to others and I am looking forward to my next visit whether in the city on business or for pleasure! Well done to the team.

Mr Singh

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 March 2014

This was my second visit to 24 Catherine Street Hotel - best to draw a veil over my first as I rated it one of the worst hotel experiences of my life! HOWEVER, I am delighted to say that this was a million miles from my horrific 2008 stay; small but tastefully decorated rooms, new carpets, comfortable beds, relaxed attitude to breakfast times and checking out deadlines, hot shower and really attentive staff made my stay something special. I was in Liverpool, my home town, with a friend for the opening night of the newly re-built Everyman Theatre. It was a special occasion for us as we have been going to this theatre since the 1960's, attending first nights and last nights or almost all its incarnations (except its very first one as Hope Hall) and we wanted everything to be perfect. I am so pleased that the hotel did not disappoint in the least, and Tom and his staff went out of their way to make us feel at home. I shall definitely be re-visiting, and would recommend it to anyone who wants a reasonably priced hotel right in the heart of the Georgian Quarter, with good food (the breakfast was excellent by the way) just down below in the Blackburne Pub. Given that, there was very little noise outside overnight and I had an excellent night's sleep in the super-comfortable bed.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SueL07
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Just got back from staying at this small pub/hotel. To be honest the room was very small but clean. It had the smallest TV I've seen and placed at an angle I did not understand. But that's the only negative thing I can say about the place. The pub itself has a nice laid-back feeling and serves surprisingly good food. The staff and the owner provide excellent service and surpass expectations. It's not the Four Seasons and doesn't pretend to be. I recommend it as an affordable stay in Liverpool. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Small but very well presented 'Boutique' accommodation. Clean, modern and well presented facilities ideally located for the City Centre and Albert Docks. Stayed whilst visiting my son who is at Uni in the City.

Below the hotel is the Blackburne Pub and Eatery which has superb food and a good range of wines and beers. Dinner was excellent and breakfast the following morning which is included in the room rate was also excellent.

Well done to Joe and his team who could not do enough to make your stay a memorable one. We will certainly stay here again when visiting the city.

Jim
Birmingham.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2014

So here's the story. We visited the Blackburne Arms several years ago and wrote a horrified review, mentioning all sorts of problems including severe lack of cleanliness.

Three months ago, we received a very pleasant email from the (new) manager, inviting us to visit again and re-review, as the pub/hotel had been taken over, refurbished and new standards imposed. Wanting to reward initiative, we agreed to do so next time we were in the area. This happened last weekend.

We only popped in en route to stay in a different town, but were impressed. Tom, the new manager, greeted us warmly, showed us round the empty bedrooms (redecorated, scrupulously clean) and talked enthusiastically not only about the rewards of giving good service but also about the building, the history of the building; he is clearly proud to be bringing the Blackburne Arms into excellence.

We can't comment as quests as this time we didn't stay. But for initiative, enthusiasm and apparent ability to deliver the goods, we're now awarding four stars. Watch this space for a full re-review when we stay there, which we plan to do in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: We did not stay this time, just looked round.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tangoprincess
Reviewed 15 January 2014

a great pub with food to match and the location was brill ,cant wait to return and a big thank you to all the staff as well who made us so wellcome ,the location was fantastic and the rooms spotless clean as was the pub,we will be back

Room Tip: all great value
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dudaiall
TomPW87, General Manager at 24 Catharine Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Hi there.

Thanks for taking the time - really appreciate your kind words and we'll see you soon.
Tom

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I would just like to post my appreciation for the wonderful warm welcome we received yesterday at the Blackburne Arms Hotel. Even though it was Boxing Day everything went smoothly, the room was beautifully warm, perfectly clean and the staff couldn't have been friendlier. Short walk from the Philharmonic, easy to get a taxi to Liverpool One. Would be happy to go back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the review - it was a pleasure having you stay, see you the next time you are in town.