“Poor, expecting more...”

Malmaison Liverpool
Ranked #37 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 5 July 2011

So, either you have had the best time since sliced bread (?) or you wish to register a grumble or two when leaving a review.

It's the later, I'm afraid.

Malmaison have a certain reputation and in fact me other half spoke well of the Manchester location. So, the scaffolding clad 5 year old purpose built hotel should have alerted us to the let-down also inside. Yep, not only an ugly building, but badly constructed to-boot. Of course, no indication that you weren't getting their best for the last nine months anywhere to be found in the publicity/internet.

A dimly-lit, brown interior was not particularly welcoming, nor when we almost had to move the second day to another room (booked thru' Superbreak but confirmation says two consecutive nights). The room lights seemed a little hit and miss at times and, again, the themed black-hole of Calcutta prevailed. Heavily netted & curtained slit shaped windows looked-out over the multi-story car park or the offices across the road. Most surfaces, both vertical and horizontal, was an opportunity to sell you something or other. Grrrr.

Some restaurant staff also gave the impression they wished to be elsewhere and that the guests were an inconvenience. Twice requested toast seemed to have either been lost in the Malmaison black void or landed on another table with a "we haven't forgotten you", the only response. Which was clearly inaccurate. (Is it too much to ask that a good looking tea pot which can also pour properly be sourced?). The open ducting above was reminiscent of the many Liverpool warehouses which have been converted to eateries, and did absolutely nothing to the decor. The reverse, if anything.

Any new building, whether office or hotel, should carry the requirement for car parking as a planning condition, Why this simple need has not yet been embraced by the local authority or a considerate, forward thinking business is beyond me. Many astute traveller to town and city will remember to add-on more dosh for this not inconsiderate additional cost.

I flicked through the brochures for the various group hotels and all was revealed. The Liverpool one was 'Quirky'. Job done.

Must say something of a more positive nature and can confirm the walk-in shower was good.

Room Tip: Difficult, cos I can't really recommend it.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank moving-memories
Write a ReviewReviews (2,852)

Reviewed 4 July 2011

OK, ideally the scaffolding wouldn't have been there, but once past the building works (which caused no particular inconvenience) this typically up-market Malmaison impresses; it's décor and fittings reek of quality, and the restaurant served up some great food. A shame that the staff don't allow the formality drop a little to let the renowned Liverpudlian charm shine through.

Perfectly located too, with tourist attractions such as Albert Dock, Liverpool One and The Ferry all within walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Comfortable, stylish dark interior hotel in a great location . The external works was the only letdown and did spoil what would have been excellent views. The staff are superb. The restaurant is just fantastic- I thoroughly recommend.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank sankes
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We went to Malmaison Liverpool for my partner's birthday. The location, right by the Liver Buildings, was great for us to explore the recently regenerated waterfront; we went to the Tate and the International Slavery Museum. We arrived at a time when there is building work going on around the entrance of the hotel, but this did not affect our stay in any way. The lobby was beautiful and the check-in guy was friendly and helpful.

The decor of our room was attractive and sexy, not sterile as many hotel rooms are. It was rather hot in the room even with the air con on full power, but then it was the hottest day of the year! Everything appeared to be good quality: the bed, the towels, the toiletries (which guests are encouraged to take home), even the tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was lovely with a huge bath and a separate power shower.

We had dinner in the restaurant, which again, was tastefully decorated. The food was great, and the waiters and waitresses were warm, friendly and attentive. The best thing was breakfast: the continental breakfast was probably the best I have ever had, and my partner reported that the cooked breakfast was also mightly fine. We loved the natural honeycomb too!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Stayed here for 1 night mid-June on business; £15 to park car overnight! Expensive bar! OK bedroom but dark and not convinced about levels of cleanliness. Breakfast room pleasant with good food and service. Building being externally refurbished resulting is excessive noise from 9am. Until that's completed I'd avoid.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I don't personally care about the Beatles positively or negatively, so that being said the Beatles themed hotel does not add any charm nor detract from anything in my opinion. That being said, when I travel I want to stay in clean accommodations and I want my possessions to be secure whilst traveling. I recently stayed at this hotel while on a tour of the UK, and would never stay at one of these hotels again. The reason being, my luggage was delivered to another guests room and his to mine upon arrival, honest mistake, however when you realize both of our names were marked on our luggage, with our traveling partners sharing the same last name, one would have to assume, it is complete lack of competence that led to the mistake due to a lack of attention to detail. This is unacceptable in the service industry and there are simply too many hotels who's staff would not make such a error that it baffles my mind as to how it could happen. That being said, underneath the bed was a pile of trash, loose change etc, what else is there in the hotel that I can't see? Things of that nature make me uneasy when it comes to travel. So those are the infractions of the hotel, of course I complained to the staff, I was received quickly by the staff, was apologized to, but I had to ask for compensation, it wasn't offered directly. My drinks were comped, which is standard procedure from such an ordeal, but it wasn't offered, which kind of puts me off. Perhaps the staff needs some retraining on how to provide customer service, perhaps I am being a whiny American, but either way this is my story, and I just wanted to share it. Personally, I would rather sleep in a tent than spend another night at the Malmasion Liverpool.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Bennyd3000
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Stayed here for my birthday with my husband, first class as always with malmaison. They had put a birthday chocolate platter in our room just because my husband mentioned it was a stay for my birthday, lovely touch,thank you. Room and service excellent, the brasserievwas excellent extremely friendly and helpful staff, very relaxed. Cannot wait for another Mal experience. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: June 2011