“Very Average”

Ranked #33 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Very Average”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I'm not sure what I really expected from this hotel on a two night stay between Christmas and New Year but now I'm home I do feel slightly disappointed.
The Reception staff were very friendly, attentive and eager to please. We arrived well before check in only expecting to be able to leave our suitcase but were told a room was available if we didn't mind a shower over the bath rather than a separate shower and bath.

We happily accepted and went to room 426. I can only describe the layout of the bathroom as bizarre. It was obviously meant for disabled access with a wide door and a grab rail by the loo and a very small sink for hand washing, but I don't know how someone with mobility problems would have managed to shower? The heated mirror over the full sink was only useful if you were 7foot tall and the sink had no light anywhere near it so my husband struggled to shave.

We had dinner included on the first night and had booked a table, the food was enjoyable but the wait was ridiculous. One hour 15 minutes after we ordered our main course arrived. There seemed to be plenty of staff but somehow everything took far too long. The same happened with the breakfast the next morning, we waited 20 minutes for the coffee and toast to arrive. The breakfast was great though, lots of choice and good quality. Breakfast on the second morning was far quicker but there weren't many people in the restaurant.

Check out was quick and efficient, the receptionist was apologetic that we found our room/bathroom odd. She offered to order us a taxi which arrived promptly.

On a positive note, my pet hate when staying in hotels is the inferior hairdriers they put in bathrooms, but in Malmaison it was a wonderfully powerful Toni & Guy hairdrier that I could plug in wherever I wanted.

There was no swimming pool and we didn't try the gym.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the waterfront, which was lovely and would have been even better if there...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I’ve been staying at Mal Liverpool on average 3 nights a week for the past 6 months. I thought that you’d enjoy some feedback from someone with real experience of knowing your hotel over a good period of time.

Malmaison Liverpool in my opinion is first class in every respect (and I’m a tough task-master).
In particular:
Rooms prepared and cleaned to the highest standard without fail.
Bedding immaculate and comfortable.
Food top of the range (I could eat out each evening but why would I with such great food being served by you?). Breakfasts exceptional.
Staff always courteous, friendly, welcoming and helpful. I think this is the hardest one to get right – understanding the difference between being over-friendly/patronising, and genuinely interested/able to gauge when to back-off. I can report that your staff get it right every time, with great skill.

I’m sure all of my experiences aren’t down to good luck and chance. Your staff must be selected and trained really well, and given clear direction and leadership. So credit to all involved.

I hope you find this helpful, as I wanted to share my honest pleasure at having been hosted in this way by your hotel and your staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Jim L, your comments as a seasoned Mal-resident are highly appreciated. We are glad we have made you so comfortable. Happy New Year from all of us, and we look forward to your return very soon!
London England
Reviewed 28 December 2013

A very lovely and surprising, pleasant experience. I’m normally a 4/5 star hotel person and was not very happy, when my daughter announced she had arranged a stay at a 3 star in Liverpool.

Liverpool was my idea, as I wanted to see the Chagall Exhibition at the Tate Liverpool last summer. Our grown up kids wanted to get on the band wagon, when we also spoke about the Beatle Tours etc.

Well we arrived the 4 of us, parking chargeable, but next door to the hotel, overlooking the dock. Check in was fine and we entered the room. Very pleasant, large comfortable bed, coffee making facilities, a fridge, hanging space OK, and a very unusual bathroom set up. A huge tub, a separate shower, and a throne of a loo, and an interesting basin. The view, well not memorable, but we were not going to be in the hotel for long. Breakfast wasn’t included in the price, but we did have it, one of the mornings. It was a full English and very nice. It was really the furthest hotel from the town centre along the dock, but luckily the weather was amazing, so it was no bother. I did find the staff generally very pleasant, except one man who was a tad difficult, for no apparent reason.

The Chagall Exhibition was amazing, at Tate Liverpool. The Magical Mystery Tour wonderful, and the shopping fab and good fun. We also went to the Cavern, which was brill, and the Beatles Museum, also amazing.

2 restaurants we went to, were the Panoramic 34, quite nice, lovely view, well just of Liverpool, and Gusto on the Albert Dock, really really fab and very buzzy.

The Art in the hotel was nice and there were some pieces related to the Beatles, and one whole floor dedicated to them, with an inflatable submarine and a small aquarium.

I Would stay again but next time may choose a hotel in town with more Beatle themes, cos to me that’s what Liverpool is all about. Yea yea yea.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Very friendly and efficient check-in process, room was of good standard with everything you could need including mini bar, tea and coffee, trouser press, safe, TV and good shower and bathroom.
I didn't eat in the hotel other than breakfast butt his was of a really good standard , Bar could do with a greater range of Ales for those of us that prefer not to drink expensive lager beers with unpronounceable names from parts of Europe as yet un discovered. Generally very impressed.

Room Tip: Don't pay. Extra for river side View, there really is not much to see.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thanks for you kind words Derrick. We are glad you enjoyed your time at Malmaison Liverpool and look forward to your return visit.
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My Fiancé and I are due to have our reception at this Malmaison is just over 2 weeks (11th January) and have been planning it for about a year. Over the past year we have met with many members of the Malmaison team and all have been excellent. From our first show round with Danny (Assistant GM) to our meeings with Kerri the attitude that they take is one of "nothing is too much trouble".

We came for our tasting menu on 7th December and thoroughly enjoyed every part of it. The warm welcome in the Bar from Olivia & Natalia who asked us lots of questions about the wedding plans and seemed genuinely interested, to the Brassiere Manager (Craig I think) and the Chef, Adam, who listen to me be a "Bridezilla" about what I wanted, and dealt with me very well! The waiter that we also had gave useful suggestions on the wine paring for the top table on our special day.

Last but not least is Kerri & her assistant (who's name I can remember) they have answered every question we have had along the way(no matter how trivial) and we had a final meeting with Kerri on Saturday, that reaffirmed that all the team at Malmaison will be working together to ensure our big day is magical!

I feel that customer service is easy to get right; but it’s even easier to get wrong, and the team at Liverpool Malmaison get it SO right.

I will be writing another review post-wedding, but I very much doubt the calibre of this hotel & its staff will change. I love the "brand" and I love this hotel and its staff. This is definitely one of my top 3 places to eat, drink and/or stay in Liverpool!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Emma M, thank you for your kind words about our staff. We hope you are excited for your wedding next week, we can't wait to celebrate with you!
Yorkshire
Reviewed 22 December 2013

A newish addition to the malmaison brand, right on the dock side in Liverpool.

Lovely hotel, beautiful Foyer and bar area, rooms are really nice, with great quality decor and bed.

Didnt sample the food but I am sure it would be above average,

Location is lovely, right on the Princess Dock, near to the Liver building and close to Liverpool one.

Norwich
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed for one night and found it a wonderful place to stay, I was not sure from reading previous reviews but none of the bad reviews were true. This is a lovely hotel clean relaxing and friendly. I will be returning and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear PearlNorwich, we're so glad you had a relaxing stay. Thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back. Try one of our great January dinner-inclusive or Shopper packages!