“Middle of the road”

Ranked #36 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Chester, England
“Middle of the road”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Typical Mal decor - dark - and style. I don't mind it but others in my party thought it was a bit gloomy.

Plus points - check in was very quick, the service in the bar was fine and at breakfast was OK if a bit slow. the room was spotless, large and had a wonderful rain shower (the best bit of the room). The bed was hard, too hard for me, and the room was warm. I didn't sleep well but I would not attribute that to the hotel but to me, it was quiet. Breakfast (see below as well) was really good and generous.

Development points - Please put some ordinary instant coffee sachets in the room. The hideous over complex coffee bag provided was not what I wanted early in the morning and produced the worst cup of coffee I have had in years. The kettle had to be forced down to work and the one easy access socket would not accept the bed side light plug - which you needed because of the prevailing gloom. Breakfast - the waffle machine was broken. Tea came in a coffee can and coffee took ages to arrive.

Location - on the Merseyside, Princes Dock. A little out of the city centre (only 10 mins stroll mind you) shops and food options, nice views one way but not if your room looks away from the river.

In summary, I would stay again as it was good value but there are other better equivalent choices in the city and whilst I like the chain I wouldn't say it was the best choice. That said you can also pick a couple of other 4* hotels in Liverpool and come off much worse.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed at the Mal a few times now and it never ceases to impress me! The decor and lighting/fire place upon entry are just so inviting and set a really pleasant atmosphere. The rooms are clean, modern and very spacious, and I loved the wet room style shower! I only wish there was a couple more plug sockets to be found as there was barely any! I dined in the restaurant on both nights of my stay and was amazed by the sheer quality of the food I was served. The prices may seem a little steep but it really is worth paying that extra bit for such quality. All staff encountered were very warm, friendly, and attentive the reception team and Kerri in particular where a great help! I would definitely stay at the place again and recommend anyone looking for a hotel in Liverpool to definitely consider the mal!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
ChrisM8796, thank you so much for such a fantastic post. Nothing is too much trouble for our team and we are so proud you recognized Kerri as a great help during your stay. Our Brasserie has great value offers, so make sure you check them out on our website. Looking forward to your return in near future.
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My wife and I travelled up from mid Wales to stay in the Toffee Suite as a belated Christmas present. We had a fabulous time the staff were absolutely wonderful and certainly made you feel welcome in the city ( a special mention to Kerri Lytton who was true ambassador for the hotel and the city). The suite itself was stunning and was just perfect for stylish relaxing break. With it's views across the waterfront, fantastic food and service I would highly recommend the Malmaison to anyone visiting Liverpool.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Dylan1974, thank you for taking your time to share your experience. We are absolutely thrilled to read that our staff made you feel so welcome. We are pleased you have recognised Kerri as a true ambassador to the company - she was thrilled to read your comments. We look forward to your return very soon.
Wirral
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Me and the Wife stayed on the Sunday Deal as it was her Birthday. I phoned to make the Reservation as a last minute thing as we have stayed here before a few times and have had a lovely time here, so why not go back. We arrived on Sunday afternoon to check in to find that the girl we had booked with had got our name totally wrong although I spelt it out twice - Awkward! She also asked if it was a special occasion - Birthday - no-one even bothered to mention anything about this. We through the bags in the room, an upgrade Superior Room, and proceeded to the Bar for a swift half or six. Girl behind the Bar was attentive and friendly and gave great service (Sorry didn't catch name but was from Northern Ireland - please say thanks!) We popped back to room briefly before going to the Brasserie for some food. Staff again were great. Then the problems arose when we retired to the room! The bed in Room 427, I hope its not the same everywhere else, was ridiculously hard. Personally I think Fred and Wilma Flintstone would have had a softer bed in their time. Wife has a bad back so I rolled the quilt up into a ball to sleep on while I got under the throw. I can normally sleep on a clothes line but this bed was only just softer than the cobbles on the Dock Road! We couldn't bear it so after no sleep we checked out and drove home at 3am in the morning. Its a shame because the Hotel's ambiance is lovely as are the Staff. If you like sleeping on a lump of brick then I would deffo recommend this Hotel. Spent £160 on an epic fail of a night, luckily we only live 30 mins away. We stay in Hotels a lot but have never experienced anything like this. Go and look at matresses at Crowne Plaza or Holiday Inn hotels to find out what comfort is all about. On the Bar they say leave Feedback on Trip Advisor... so here it is....

Room Tip: Bring Your Own Mattress Topper!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
The_essense, Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. Please accept our apologies for not acknowledging the purpose of your visit during your stay. We realize that the hotel beds are big contributors to our guest’s satisfaction. Comfort is what we aim to provide for all our guests, and so we regret that our chosen mattress style did not suit you. On the other hand, we are so thankful for recognizing the hotel’s ambiance and the loveliness of our staff. We hope that you will return in the future and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
London
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This hotel must certainly have a low energy bill. Everywhere is gloom and dark. I'm not quite sure how they expect you to put your make up on - under the desk light is not a good look. The wet room shower - not a great fan - is almost black, although the shower itself is good. Finding plug sockets is a challenge. The bed was comfortable and the sleep quality was also good.

The bar was odd. All those dark pinks and browns didn't make for a relaxing experience and the breakfast room looked like it was the middle of the night. Tea was served in a cafetiere and the music was too loud. And the waffle machine was broken. Otherwise breakfast was ok.

Not my favourite Liverpool hotel, although centrally located.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear wowfactor, thank you for your review following your recent stay with Malmaison Liverpool. We are disappointed to read about your thoughts on our interior design and décor of the hotel – your feedback will be passed on. We are extremely sorry we were not able to meet your expectations, but we are glad you had a good quality sleep. Hopefully, we will welcome you back once again in the near future.
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I would like to say thanks to all at the Malmaison, Liverpool, who helped to make our stay memorable.
I would particularly like to thank Sharon Simons who went out of her way to make it the best trip to Liverpool ever. From her super efficient organisational skills to her useful help and advice, all delivered with a smile. I'd recruit her into my team tomorrow!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Steve, thank you for taking your time and post such a great comments. We are extremley glad that our staff and Sharon in particular has made your stay even more memorable. We are thrilled she went out of her way to make sure you enjoyed every moment of your stay and hope you visit us again soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Myself and my partner stayed in a standard double room and tagged it on to a Xmas shopping trip. The hotel is luxuriously furnished and a real oasis of calm. The rooms are very comfortable and the hotel bar is a lovely place to relax. The hotel is full of comfy sofas , dimmed lights and clever colour schemes.

The hotel is about 10 mins walk to all the night spots. It is next to the Liver building which is a fabulous building. I would recommend visiting Panoramic 34 which gives a fantastic view of the city from the 34th floor. Make sure you book in advance even for drinks only. It is just across the road from the hotel (literally behind it)..

This is the 2nd time i have stayed in a Malmaison hotel. I have stayed in the one in Belfast too. They really are lovely hotels and have no hesitation in recommending them.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear James, thank you for your wonderful feedback. We are so happy you also love the colour scheme & decor as much as we do. We also appreciate the great comment you made about our amazing new bar that we have recently re-opened. Looking forward welcoming you back soon.