“Great Hotel Great Food Great Staff”

Malmaison Liverpool
Ranked #33 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel Great Food Great Staff”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Me and my wife recently stayed at the Malmaison Liverpool and I must say it’s the nicest hotel we have ever stayed at. We also decided to eat at the hotels restaurant which turned out to be a great decision as the food was out of this world. We had the pleasure of meeting one of the chefs Steve who was very helpful. Thanks to Steve all the staff at Malmaison we will defiantly be going back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you Mick for a full 5 star ratings. We are thrilled at your comments, and thank you for recognizing one of our chef Steve - it was his pleasure to look after you during your visit. Looking forward to your return. Best Wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I was disappointed with this hotel. I booked it a weekend in Liverpool as a surprise for my fiances 30th Birthday so I decided to splash out on a nice hotel, I wish I hadn't bothered as it really wasn't worth the extra cost. I had considered booking the Radisson (£200 cheaper) and this was definitely not better than a Radisson so I should have.

I started off with a bad impression of the hotel as I emailed the day before asking how much it would be to add a bottle of champagne to our room - I received a reply with prices for two different varieties of champagne - £47.50 and £55. An hour later I received a response from someone else in the hotel with prices for the same two champagnes - except this time they were £60 and £70. I don't like feeling ripped off so I decided against the champagne! I also emailed back to let her know about the inconsistency in pricing and received no response. Nice.

I was again annoyed and feeling duped when I checked in and was told the 'Eggs in the City' package I had booked did not include breakfast. I am normally good to check what is included but honestly I made the mistake of assuming that a deal called Eggs in the City advertised with a picture of two eggs included... well... eggs!! I assume this is the intention of the advert!
So I paid £18 per person for breakfast and a cocktail (a package they offer) and tried not to say much as I didn't want my fiance to feel awkward since it was a treat for him.

They also take full payment as well as £100 extra off your card at check in, the £100 extra is refunded on checkout. I haven't been asked for this before, but maybe that has just been the hotels I have stayed in, not sure.

The hotel location is good and the reception is lovely but the room really was nothing special, below average I would say, definitely not what I would expect from a boutique hotel. No robes or slippers, no drinking water unless you want to pay for it form the minibar etc. One sachet of coffee so we both couldn't have a cup, just not at all up to usual 4 star standard. There is also no spa or leisure centre here which is unusual for a hotel that aims to be high end.

Breakfast was lovely, dinner was only very fair although they did give us a free cocktail in the bar to apologise as I believe they were understaffed so that was appreciated. We were also supposed to have had two free cocktails in the package I booked but were not given the vouchers so I had to go ask on the second day, no apology given for the mistake.

Overall it just did not meet expectations and was definitely not worth the £400+ I paid for two nights for a standard (very standard..) room.. My fiance of course did not know how much it was and as he could tell I was disappointed he said "ah it did the job, was somewhere to stay for the weekend so it is fine"... hmmm not exactly the level I was aiming for at for the price.

I definitely would not recommend the hotel to a friend and probably won't stay in other Malmaisons.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Buicke, Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconsistent and less than satisfactory service you received during your stay with Malmaison Liverpool. Your constructive comments have been taken on board and we can assure you that the necessary measures have been taken to ensure that all standards are improved. All comments are passed onto relevant department to rectify the issues. We hope you will consider giving us a second chance in the near future in order to show you how great Malmaison can be. Best Wishes
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Had a great night here last week. As ever the Malmaison never disappoints . Super room overlooking the river, great bathroom plus wet room, comfy bed, wonderful dinner in restaurant, excellent friendly staff and a brilliant breakfast. What more could you want!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the water!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Joannaflamingo
Dear JoannaFlamingo, Thank you for your fantastic comments following your stay with Malmaison Liverpool. We are so delighted to read you had such a lovely time. Look out for some great upcoming packages, as there are many to choose from. We hope we get another opportunity to welcome you back soon, as it would be a pleasure to look after you one more time. Best Wishes
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Booked the Malmaison for a weekend away with my husband. The hotel is in a great location, perfectly situated near Albert docks and within walking distance to Liverpool city centre. The lobby area and bar are lovely and very chic.
We had a corner room with views of the river which was nice. Room was average size with a good size bathroom. My only gripes with the room was that it was quite dark so not great for putting on your makeup! Also there were no plug sockets by the bed which is a pet hate of mine!
We ordered hot chocolates through room service and they were stone cold when we got them. That was a little disappointing. Breakfast was good- go for hot rather than continental as it was quite limited. All in all it was a nice hotel and perfect for visiting the city, it was also very reasonable but I guess I was just expecting more as it brands itself as a luxury boutique hotel. Wouldn't choose it again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cfh30
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Cfh30, Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your stay with Malmaison Liverpool. We are extremely disappointed to read that your stay wasn’t exactly what both of you were expecting and that you wouldn’t choose us again. We are aware that our dark theme and dim lighting are not to everybody's taste and we are extremely sorry for not being able to meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apology for such a poor room service. On the other hand thank you for your positive notes. We can only hope that you will return to the Malmaison in the near future as it would be our pleasure to welcome you both back. Best Wishes
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Just returned from a night at Malmaison, Liverpool. We were there to see Elbow at the Arena so it was quite a special evening. The staff were all incredibly friendly, as were all of the 'Scousers' who we met from cabbies to waiting staff at the restaurant we ate in. I have to make special mention of Olivia who was serving us in the hotel bar! She made the most delicious Mojitos that I have ever tasted anywhere in the world!!! The hotel staff were attentive, professional and very helpful. This clean and very chic hotel is in a quiet area near the river and a short walk from the Albert Dock and the Arena-an ideal location for us. Fantastic breakfast too! We were very impressed with Liverpool as it was clean, compact and had lots of great shops, restaurants, bars, theatres and museums. Lots to see and do in the city. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask for a river front room!
1 Thank HenshawKitty
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear HenshawKitty, Thank you so much for your fantastic review, we are delighted to read you have had such a wonderful time in Liverpool. It was our pleasure to look after you during your stay with us. Thank you for recognizing professionalism and friendliness of our staff, particularly Olivia - she is thrilled at your comments. We very much hope to welcome you back again in the near future, the breakfast and cocktails are not to be missed. Best Wishes
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We visited Liverpool for a weekend break and stayed at the Malmaison, we booked online receiving a £20 allowance each for food and a free cocktail :)

On arrival we were quite early and hoped we could leave our bags to be able to visit the Tate. We were not only able to leave our bags but we were checked into our room. We had excellent service from Tom on reception, he was extremely helpful providing us with information on where to visit and how to get there.

The room was immaculate, lovely bathroom and wet room shower, large tv extremely comfy bed. The only negative comment would be there was one sachet of coffee, however there was lots of different teas. There was also a well stocked mini bar, a variety of snacks and 24 hour room service including toasties and curry (we didn't use the service but was good to have the option).

We ate in the restaurant in the evening, again excellent service this time from Jenny. There was plenty of choice and the food was lovely, I ordered a starter as a main sized portion, which was no problem for them to organise.

We later had a few drinks in the bar, which was priced quite highly and as my partner pointed out does not sell pints only schooners yet still charged at more then the average pint. However, the atmosphere was lively and service still excellent.

We had an excellent nights sleep, we heard no noise from elsewhere in the hotel despite it being very busy downstairs.

We did not get breakfast as it seemed we wouldn't each eat £16 worth of food, but there was other places nearby to eat. The hotel is in a very good location, 5 minutes to the docks including the museums and galleries and about 20 minutes to Liverpool One.
Overall an excellent stay and would definitely return :)

Room Tip: It's cheaper to upgrade on arrival if the rooms are available.
1 Thank a1414
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear a1414, thank you so much for posting such a wonderful feedback. Liverpool is such an amazing city, and we are delighted that you had a fantastic time. We are pleased that the service, the room, food and delicious cocktails, and the friendliness of all staff has been recognized particularly the attentiveness of Tom. He is thrilled at your comments. We can't wait to welcome you back again sometime soon. Best Wishes
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I stayed at the Mal for a couple of nights on a business trip. Very convenient location for what I wanted, on the waterfront, and good value for money. Good points: bar (variety, quality of service); reception (friendly and efficient); housekeeping (very friendly and room spotlessly clean). And I like the quirky touches, but I did get the feeling that these are the focus, sometimes to the exclusion of getting the basics right.

When I stay in a hotel for business, it's the little things that make the difference. Here, I had to shave largely by touch because the bathroom lights simply weren't bright enough. The dinner menu was acceptable, but with limited choice and lukewarm food (especially frustrating because there's not a wide choice of restaurants in the immediate area). The breakfast was particularly disappointing, with probably the worst scrambled egg I've had in a hotel for a long time - I left half of it. And the public areas were full of loud and very intrusive music - it was hard to have a conversation and very wearing over the course of an evening.

Had heard good things about Malmaison, but never had the opportunity to stay in one. Came away loving the concept, but wishing the execution had been just that little bit better.

Room Tip: Choose the west (River Mersey) side of the hotel, not the east (eight-lane highway) option
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jonathan F
Dear Jonathan F, Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about Mal Liverpool. We are delighted that bar, reception and housekeeping has been recognized in terms of your “good points”. On the other hand we are extremely disappointed to hear that we fell short in some areas. Please accept our sincere apology for any issues you experienced during your meal and at breakfast. Your comments are passed onto the management team in order to improve our service. Thank you for choosing Malmaison and we hope we will get another opportunity to welcome you back again.. Best Wishes