“Changed for worse”

Malmaison Liverpool
Ranked #37 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at this hotel many many times over last 5 yrs, my last visit was truly disappointing. room a bit grubby and looking worn rm (505), no coffee in the room, desk lamp not working, lighting dingy! Not sure if it's the room but bed really hard, more than I've been used to. Service in the restaurant diabolical, we were just left and if it had not been for Tom we would have walked out after 2 & half hrs. The menu selection on fixed dinner package was very poor and kind of forces you to the main menu which is over priced for what it is! Breakfast was no better, arrived a bit later than normal at 10:15 to be told sorry chef run out of cooked breakfast. The best bit came when my bill was presented to me at checkout, they had the cheek to put service charge on it and an upgrade cost, which I never had!!! Total rubbish and not the best stay at The Mal.! I'm really disappointed as I've always enjoyed my stays at this hotel but some changes have seriously gone wrong! :-(
Come on Mal get back to the way you were with great customer service and room standards!!!

Stayed: April 2014
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Dawn H, Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback after another stay with us. We are extremely disappointed that we have not “wowed” you on this occasion and we absolutely appreciate that your experience was marred by such a poor service. It’s never good to receive negative comments, but it helps us to look properly at our guest’s needs and rectify any issues that have occurred. Please accept our sincere apology for such a poor service in the brasserie and be assured we have passed your feedback to Brasserie Manager in order to avoid any future similar scenarios. We hope that Mal Liverpool will get another chance in the near future in order to show you how we can do things right. Best Wishes

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I can't fault this hotel in any way. Quick check in and check out and rooms were very clean. The room contained two bottles of wine plus wine glasses - a nice addition that's not often found in hotels.

The bed was very large and comfortable and the corner room offered a great view towards the Liver Building and beyond. The staff were also very accommodating to our every request. I will have no hesitation in returning next time I stay in Liverpool!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Kevin C, Thank you for your fantastic comments and high recommendations of our hotel. We are thrilled you had a very enjoyable stay. Looking forward to your return. Best Wishes

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay, stunning hotel. Was given a beautiful river view room with a fantastic package. Food was delicious, and the cocktails washed it down nicely. Fantastic service all round, particularly Emily on the desk - so friendly and helpful, an absolute asset to the Malmaison team. Thank you so much for a wonderful stay. :)

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Gemlove, thank you so much for posting such a wonderful feedback. We are thrilled that you had such a fantastic time with us. We are also pleased that the service, the brasserie menu, our delicious cocktails and the friendliness of all staff has been recognized particularly attentiveness of our receptionists Emily - she is thrilled at your comments. We hope to welcome you back again very soon. Best Wishes

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

As our teenager was off doing her Duke of Edinburgh award during her easter break we decided to treat ourselves to a jolly . We've never had cause to visit Liverpool but have been completely blown away by this beautiful city. The Mal was a fabulous base with all of the staff being super friendly, especially the breakfast crew, room was very comfortable with everything you'd expect, must say though not enough coffee or milk pots, decor was good but a little dark in places and the brasserie menu could do with a little more choice.All in all the Mal was worth the cost and the small points I've raised certainly wouldn't stop our return, in fact were already planning a girlie weekend break for my wife and child and I wouldn't be unhappy if they decide they want the Mal when they go 9.9 out of 10

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Steven P, Thank you for taking the time to write this great review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your trip to Liverpool and we totally agree with you – it is a beautiful city. We very much appreciate your lovely comments regarding our accommodation, friendly staff and service. On the other hand your constructive points have been passed onto our teams to ensure we deliver the best product and standard alike. We hope to see you again on your return to us.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Me and my wife recently stayed at the Malmaison Liverpool and I must say it’s the nicest hotel we have ever stayed at. We also decided to eat at the hotels restaurant which turned out to be a great decision as the food was out of this world. We had the pleasure of meeting one of the chefs Steve who was very helpful. Thanks to Steve all the staff at Malmaison we will defiantly be going back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you Mick for a full 5 star ratings. We are thrilled at your comments, and thank you for recognizing one of our chef Steve - it was his pleasure to look after you during your visit. Looking forward to your return. Best Wishes

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I was disappointed with this hotel. I booked it a weekend in Liverpool as a surprise for my fiances 30th Birthday so I decided to splash out on a nice hotel, I wish I hadn't bothered as it really wasn't worth the extra cost. I had considered booking the Radisson (£200 cheaper) and this was definitely not better than a Radisson so I should have.

I started off with a bad impression of the hotel as I emailed the day before asking how much it would be to add a bottle of champagne to our room - I received a reply with prices for two different varieties of champagne - £47.50 and £55. An hour later I received a response from someone else in the hotel with prices for the same two champagnes - except this time they were £60 and £70. I don't like feeling ripped off so I decided against the champagne! I also emailed back to let her know about the inconsistency in pricing and received no response. Nice.

I was again annoyed and feeling duped when I checked in and was told the 'Eggs in the City' package I had booked did not include breakfast. I am normally good to check what is included but honestly I made the mistake of assuming that a deal called Eggs in the City advertised with a picture of two eggs included... well... eggs!! I assume this is the intention of the advert!
So I paid £18 per person for breakfast and a cocktail (a package they offer) and tried not to say much as I didn't want my fiance to feel awkward since it was a treat for him.

They also take full payment as well as £100 extra off your card at check in, the £100 extra is refunded on checkout. I haven't been asked for this before, but maybe that has just been the hotels I have stayed in, not sure.

The hotel location is good and the reception is lovely but the room really was nothing special, below average I would say, definitely not what I would expect from a boutique hotel. No robes or slippers, no drinking water unless you want to pay for it form the minibar etc. One sachet of coffee so we both couldn't have a cup, just not at all up to usual 4 star standard. There is also no spa or leisure centre here which is unusual for a hotel that aims to be high end.

Breakfast was lovely, dinner was only very fair although they did give us a free cocktail in the bar to apologise as I believe they were understaffed so that was appreciated. We were also supposed to have had two free cocktails in the package I booked but were not given the vouchers so I had to go ask on the second day, no apology given for the mistake.

Overall it just did not meet expectations and was definitely not worth the £400+ I paid for two nights for a standard (very standard..) room.. My fiance of course did not know how much it was and as he could tell I was disappointed he said "ah it did the job, was somewhere to stay for the weekend so it is fine"... hmmm not exactly the level I was aiming for at for the price.

I definitely would not recommend the hotel to a friend and probably won't stay in other Malmaisons.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Buicke, Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconsistent and less than satisfactory service you received during your stay with Malmaison Liverpool. Your constructive comments have been taken on board and we can assure you that the necessary measures have been taken to ensure that all standards are improved. All comments are passed onto relevant department to rectify the issues. We hope you will consider giving us a second chance in the near future in order to show you how great Malmaison can be. Best Wishes

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Had a great night here last week. As ever the Malmaison never disappoints . Super room overlooking the river, great bathroom plus wet room, comfy bed, wonderful dinner in restaurant, excellent friendly staff and a brilliant breakfast. What more could you want!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the water!