“3 night stay”

Malmaison Liverpool
Ranked #37 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We really enjoyed our stay from 7/06-10/06.This lovely hotel is in a good place on Princes Dock with interesting views of the Mersey.Our room was attractive and the bathroom large with wonderful bath and smellies.My only quibble would be difficult to find good light to apply makeup and bed too firm for me.Breakfast was delicious and we had the set menu one night which was good.The staff were all friendly and helpful especially Vicki.We did the Beatles package and then I nights B and B and evening meal-good value.We would definitely recommend this hotel and would like to return.We were so impressed with Liverpool so many beautiful buildings galleries and museums.We caught the Grayson Perry tapestries at The Walker Gallery-fantastic as is the Gallery.Do go to the Cavern and see The Cavern Beatles on Sat night you can book online tickets.We managed to catch Dolly Parton at the Echo Arena - brilliant.So check future dates at The Arena lots of great acts to come and walkable from hotel.
The Ferrry is of course a must and hop on bus takes you to loads more places.No time to shop!Liverpudlians are so friendly and helpful.Certainly a city to be proud of.We will return ! so much more to see and do.

Room Tip: A room with view of the Mersey.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear sufolkDalesman, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your fantastic review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and dinning experience within the hotel. Vicky would also like to say a big thank you and is overwhelmed with your comments. We are also very happy that you took the chance to enjoy our city and see some of our sites, and are thankful for any recommendations given in the future. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Best Wishes

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I was in Liverpool for a conference at the ICC and am thinking of using this hotel for future leisure trips. Its a nice location in the docks and secure parking next door at £11 per 24 hours. Check in was very welcoming and helpful. It was not the best located room as I had a low conference rate but the room was well equipped if not full of extras I could purchase. Some part of the hotel would benefit from some refurbishment but otherwise well maintained - replace the carpets in the lift! Breakfast was fine and staff very friendly which is more than can be said for the inefficient evening staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a dock view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear SilverFox 1955, Thank you for taking the time to leave your great review in regards to your stay with us, we are happy you would return on future trips to the city and our staff would also like to thank you for their recognition in your review . Please accept our apologise for any issues caused during your stay and I do hope this does not stop you from returning. Looking forward to your return in the near future. Best wishes

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Having stayed at the malmaison in Manchester I was expecting the same quality service, on arrival the check in was good apart from having to pay a £50.00 refundable deposit on checkout,which we thought was a bit extreme I guess it was in case we used the mini bar or eat the snacks that are in the room, we stayed on the 6th floor in room 611,the room was nice and clean and comfortable, had a nice bath and walk in shower, the bed which was a double although it was comfy it would have been better if it was a king size bed, the pillows were too soft which made my sleep a little uncomfortable and the Egyptian cotton duvet was far too heavy and thick which made the room extremely hot considering the air con was pre set and unable to adjust it!! The mini bar was stocked with overly priced drinks but no glasses provided if you did want a drink!! We chose not to drink, there is a security box which is free to use which is good but the chain on the door along with extra lock on door gives the impression that security is a worry!! We chose to have continental breakfast but at £13.99per person I felt I needed to get my money's worth!! There was a good choice of fresh fruit, yoghurts, pastries and cereals the waiter also brought us fresh toast and coffee, on checkout when asked if we used any of the mini bar and we replied no our deposit was refunded but we could have quite easily drank and ate everything in the room as there were no checks so seemed quite pointless really!! Overall the stay was good but felt the finer details need to be addressed.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor to get spectacular views of the river Mersey
1  Thank Caron P
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Caron, Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us. The practise of taking pre-authorisation from a credit card, or deposit from a debit card is a common practise for hotels around the world, though the amount held my differ. This is a guarantee for security, incidentals or any other charges you may have throughout your stay. We are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay but please do accept our sincere apologies for anything that did not meet your expectations. We hope this has not put you off returning to us on a future occasion, best wishes

Reviewed 9 June 2014

After reading the reviews of this hotel I was slightly worried about staying however I was pleasantly surprised. Both check-in and check out was swift and pleasant, room was big, clean and luxurious as you would expect from the Mal chain. Continental breakfast was basic with not a great choice of cold food which for £13.00 felt like a rip off, you could upgrade to cooked for a extra £2. The service was second to none with helpful, pleasant staff. We had drinks in the bar and again the service was great. Had a quiet night and a great sleep. The shower was lovely.

Minor things that let the stay down - there is a bath but no bubble bath, shower gel but no conditioner, mini bar and selected nibbles placed around the room with a high price tag.

The only thing that would stop me staying again would be the £50 deposit which is taken at check in incase you use the mini bar????? This wasnt mentioned anywhere when booking online.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Tenerif2011, Thank you for taking the time to leave your review and constructive feedback. The practise of taking pre-authorisation from a credit card, or deposit from a debit card is a common practise for hotels around the world, though the amount held my differ. This is a guarantee for security, incidentals or any other charges you may have throughout your stay, I’m sorry to hear if this is something which would stop you from returning to us in the future. We are happy to see though that you did enjoy your stay and that our staff and Brasserie did meet your expectations we do hope that you would return in the near future. Best wishes

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The formula for Malmaison was once winning but in this hotel has gone off the boil. I had a room facing the road - quiet though. However the spacious bathroom with walk in shower is let down by a lack of lighting to do your makeup or have a shave and the service at breakfast was poor - cold scrambled eggs after a long wait. I wouldn't recommend.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Paid around £300 for one night stay at this hotel with my partner.
The hotel is excellent in all areas from walking through the main door to the view from our room.
The room was spacious, clean and well maintained.

We found the staff to be condescending and rude… well that was until they realised we were in the suite?
Ordered drinks and was left waiting so long I gave in and went to see what the problem was which happened on a number of times while in the guest sitting area.
We asked reception if we could book a table for dinner and was told that unfortunately the whole evening was booked up so we would have to eat elsewhere. The lady who said this to us was very snotty and only glanced at us from her computer once when we first said hello. She spoke then carried on with whatever she was doing as if we weren’t even there. I asked if I could be informed if about any cancellations…in a drowning voice she asked what room we were in. When I told her I was in the suite her attitude completely changed!
Click..click..click ‘’What time would you like to have dinner?’’

Are you kidding me?

So you treat all guests different depending on how much money they spend?

If I'd only spent £60 on a room then I'd have to eat out of your hotel?

She was not the only one who acted like this, We asked the waiting staff if we could change table and was told all tables were booked…the arrogant woman from earlier turns up and suddenly…’’which table would you like to sit at?’’

Sort your staff out

Room Tip: Tell them you in the Suite and they will walk on hot coals for you...
1  Thank Jimmy Q
Reviewed 4 June 2014

So why do I love Mal and only give it 3 stars? Well, I hope it is a one off because I would happily come back but I will be making sure with reception in advance that my concerns are taken into account.

We booked a late stay for a Saturday evening in Liverpool and the room, as always, was well appointed and comfortable with a big comfy bed.....all good so far.

Our problems were all with the bathroom!

There is a huge bath in the bathroom and this has a shower attachment that is operated separately, problem was that the handle for switching it on was not there! The stem/spindle that the handle is fixed to was there so this is a maintenance issue.

The next bathroom problem was the toilet. It has a 2 part flush for a full and a part flush. Only the part flush worked and the full flush would not respond. Again, a maintenance issue.

The next bathroom problem was the walk in shower in the morning. My wife used it and it was cold. This is unforgivable in a hotel of this stature. We were told that they have tanks that need heating and that a lot of guests must have used their showers at the same point but I would expect a hotel like Mal to have individual heating for each room. This is a huge bug bear of my wife and this will be a deal breaker for stopping at the hotel again.

One small note, they have changed the shower gel too! I used to love it but it has changed and is nowhere near as good as it used be in the small square bottles!

Finally, when we booked, I made a note on the booking that this stay coincided with our 10th wedding anniversary and there was no mention of this at check in. I know you should not instantly expect complimentary upgrades and drinks etc when you check in but each time I have mentioned this on previous stay coinciding with birthdays etc then there has always been a freebie on offer at check in.

So, Mal has some maintenance issues and I sincerely hope that the management look into this. I am not put off staying here again but next time, I am going to have to annoy the hotel in advance which I am sure the reception staff could just do without in a busy environment.

See you next time, you will be hearing from me!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mj2000uk

Dear mj2000uk, We are so sorry to read that your stay with us was not as enjoyable as it should have been , I have read all of your feedback and concerns and I can ensure you it has been passed to the relevant departments to see if there is room for improvement . I sincerely apologise that we did not meet your expected standards at this time but I do hope you will give us another chance to wow you on a future visit, we hope to see you again soon. best wishes