“Birthday occasion”

Malmaison Liverpool
Ranked #36 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

After having the experience at the Malmaison in Manchester, I thought it would be nice to have the experience at the Malmaison Liverpool for my boyfriends birthday. Unfortunately they had no space for us to stay for the weekend, so we thought we would experience the (Malmaison Liverpool) restaurant at the hotel.

Me and my boyfriend arrived at the restaurant and got seated straight away. A girl called Rachel was looking after us for the night. I think Rachel had a lovely personality, made us feel welcome as soon as we sat down and always came to us with a smile! Anything we asked, Rachel sorted it straight away which we couldn't fault. Rachel also helped me with my meal as I'm new to trying steak. She recommended the steak strips which were outstanding and my partner had the Tiger prawn curry.

As it was for my boyfriends birthday, he received a slice of cake on a black plate saying happy birthday which was lovely!

Overall, a lovely evening that we'll always remember! :)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Lucyr

It's always nice to read such lovely comments about our brassarie, and we are so happy you enjoyed it especially with it being such a special occasion. Its also great to see that Rachel looked after you both in true Mal Style and was able to help you choose from the menu. She would like to to personally thank you for your lovely review. We look forward to seeing you again soon and hopfully next time you will be able to experience staying over at the hotel too.

There are newer reviews for Malmaison Liverpool

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Visited the Malmaison on Friday night for my birthday. We sat outside with some mojitos enjoying the sunshine and beautiful views of the river and then ate in the restaurant. Sammy-Joe was our waitress, she was fantastic, very professional and talked us through the menu and specials on offer. I ordered the goats cheese salad to start and the risotto for my main. Our table was checked back on throughout each of the courses and we were offered more drinks also. The front of house service was perfect and the food was lovely, went it arrived. We waited a long time for our mains and as a bar and restaurant manager I know how long is acceptable to wait on 4 dishes. Apart from that we really enjoyed our visit and will definetly be back soon. Thank you Sammy-Joe :)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear smono11

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review. It's nice to see you enjoyed yourself for your birthday, and that you enjoyed some of our fab mojito cocktails while taking in the views. Its always a delight to read lovely comments about our guests experiences especially when a member of the team is mentioned. We agree that Sammy Jo is fantastic - we are happy she looked after you during your visit.The team hope to be welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed in this hotel for work. It was chosen by my company, but I was pleased with it. The hotel was generally clean (though some of the paintwork in the room was a bit beaten up and the lampshade next to the bed was stained). There was better lighting than many hotels if you figured out how to get the halogen downlighters to work. The decor is definitely stylish. The beds are firm, but I did not find it uncomfortable.

The hotel restaurant was pricey, so I skipped it. My company paid for breakfast, which was good. The choice of cold dishes (fruit, yogurt, juice) was a bit below average, but the hot options were good and portion sizes generous. Service at breakfast was s-l-o-o-o-o-w -- fine for people doing a romantic break, but less good if you have a meeting to get to.

The free wi-fi was appreciated, but having to log in again every few hours was a bit of a pain.

If the price were right, I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rbgs

Dear rbgs,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I can see that your review has some mixed points and I would like to apologise for not meeting a couple of your expectations during your business stay. I can see that you did enjoy some aspects of your stay as well. I do hope we will be welcoming you again to the hotel in the near future and next time you will be 100% satisfied with your stay.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hotel was in a great location, just out of the centre so it was peaceful but close enough to walk into the centre or a short taxi ride. The hotel reception was welcoming and a nice large open waiting area. Our room was typical of the malmaison chain, a darker style room but modern. The open shower was amazing, nice powerful rain shower. The bed was lovely and comfy and no noise overnight. Could hear neighbours doors but we didn't get woken in the night.
The downsides...there was an unusual red patch just outside the bathroom (room 502). The carpet was clearly stained! Disgusting! I have to step over each time! Secondly, we went for an evening meal and would recommend going into the centre for something to eat. A limited menu and it was hard work getting our bill using the cocktail vouchers. We were left waiting to settle the bill for at least ten minutes and the member of staff was rude when he needed to reprint the bill.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linzalin
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Booked here for our Anniversary. It was also a night away from our 1 year old so we were absolutely looking forward to it. Rooms are relatively small, our river view was in the corner of the window and I couldn't believe for the cost and 'swankiness' there is no pool? That's not their fault though I think we just assumed.

It has a funky and modern feel to it and the shower and toilet is in the wet room area and the sink and bath is in the main bathroom piece. Toiletries smelt lovely and generous portions (girl sized) good hair dryer. Tea and coffee facilities are weirdly positioned and there's a tray/drawer thing that is a bit useless under the telly no idea how that would help anyone.

Staff are friendly enough but I wouldn't say they went out of their way for us for anything.

To be honest with you I'm just looking for clean and comfort which it wasn't but it was clean. As a special night away from the baby I think I was perhaps really wanting a comfortable bed so thumbs down in that way but it was safe and clean.

Parking is not covered which is a flaming cheek! We moved our car from the Pall Mall one as check in wasn't until 3pm and figured there would be onsite car parking which there isn't.

In short it's ok but won't be staying here again as we expected more for the price and stayed in better hotels (next door)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Bettyknuzka

We are sorry to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. It's never good to receive negative feedback but it is crucial as it can help us review our facilities and services to ensure we offer the best. I am happy to see that you did enjoy the room and bathroom facilities/toiletries during your stay. I do hope we get another chance in the near future to wow you

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Visiting for my sisters birthday, you rarely go wrong with a Mal!
Style, great rooms, spacious, beautiful bathrooms, Great breakfast, comfortable beds and good service!

Will always look for Malmaison when travelling, always consistent!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Tomlm

It's lovely to see you enjoyed your stay for your sisters birthday with us,we would like to thank you for leaving such great comments in regards to the service,brasserie and rooms during your stay. We look forward to be seeing you again soon in the near future

Reviewed 7 July 2014

On the positive side it is in a great position and the room was large, clean, comfortable and well-stocked. However, unfortunately, the service let it down massively. Here is a list of the waiting times that we encountered during our overnight stay:-

Replacement batteries for TV remote: 30-45 minutes (after reminder telephone call)
Two cocktails via room service: 45-60 minutes (after reminder to staff) - We were offered two free cocktails to make up for the delay but were told we could not order them via room service as they were too busy despite originally being told that we could.
Breakfast - 15 minutes before anyone took our food order.
Cooked items - 15-30 minutes.
Additional toast to accompany cooked items (to replace toast eaten while waiting) - 15 minutes
Butter to accompany additional toast - Failed to materialise at all (resulting in additional toast remaining uneaten).
Breakfast took us some 60-90 minutes in total and certainly not by choice.

If you are going to call yourself the 'Mal' maison I would try doubly hard not to live up to your name!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple