“It's a 'no' from me!”

Malmaison Liverpool
Ranked #36 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Decent food let down by service provided by untrained kids

With what was meant to be one of the most memorable evenings of my life, unfortunately turned out so for the wrong reasons. I'd requested a table in a quieter part of the restaurant which was the first let down of the evening which seemingly led to a series of quite tragic events. The table was directly in the middle of the restraunt which we had had to wait for 20 minutes to actually be seated at. Service then arrived in the form of a young dark haired girl who quite obviously has no customer service experience or quite frankly no idea what a waiters job was. Said young lady was totally disinterested and at her own leisure allowed us to order drinks and food. After waiting 40 minutes and asking four different waiters where the wine was, the wine finally arrived to which it was delivered with what can only be described as beer glasses!? We poured and sipped the wine and knew it wasn't the right one as we had ordered an Italian white wine which wasn't quite as tart as the Brazilian white that arrived. We then asked to have the wine swapped for the one we had actually ordered and discovered reading the menu that we had been fobbed off with one of the cheapest bottle. Correct wine then arrived 15 minutes later after yet more asking. Shortly after this chain of events, we were told that the sea bass we had ordered was in fact no longer available which would of been fine however we had ordered our food an 40mins previously? Food was impressive when it finally did arrive which is a shame as the rest of the experience of what was meant to be a really great, romantic evening, as I had planned to stay in Liverpool for a number of weeks previously. This evening evening I was going to propose to my girlfriend but the ambience of the evening could not of been worse. I'm Staying in the London Malmaison hotel this weekend so fingers crossed won't have the same experience!!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank OliverHarrison1
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear OliverHarrison1,

Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel, and the food and beverage team. As we can see, things definitley did not go right on the night of your visit and we are really sorry about this. We hope you will return in the future to see how we can, and do, get it right. I hope that your visit to Malmaison London has restored your faith in the company.

Kind regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,821)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We first visited 2 years ago, where we gained a love for Mal hotels and have since attempted to visit all locations (4 to go)... The visit initially didn't start well, they had no record of our requested upgrade from a superior room to a suite and upon asking for guidance, then overheard another receptionist say 'they can't have one as we haven't one available'. No direct conversation at all.. VERY rude! We were then given the allocated room key and informed that the only available restaurant booking was for 9pm but would try to contact the restaurant (they would call us)we were pleased to see the room was very similar to our first ever Mal room.. Fab shower, fab bed but fewer toiletries... No moisturiser or conditioner or biscuits... We then received confirmation of an available table in the brasserie - things started to look up! The service in the brasserie was superb as was the food, having a very enjoyable meal. Check out started badly by being charged incorrectly but was rectified by an extremely helpful man and all ended well... But think we're going to quit our target of visiting all locations as over time you become disappointed by the extremely high standards experienced but not always upheld.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MalmaisonLiverpool, Manager at Malmaison Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear missymlincolnshire,

Firstly, thank you for leaving feedback regarding your recent stay here at Mal Liverpool.
Let me please apologise for the misunderstading you had on check in, all the details have been passed onto our reception team for further investigation. I am really glad to hear that you loved the room and the restaurant. We hope that you do decide to stay with us again, so we can show you how we can and do get things right.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had our civil ceremony at the malmaison in Liverpool on 2nd August and can honestly say that we don't think we would have had as good a day anywhere else. The hotel itself is beautiful, modern and stylish - although certain areas are a little dark and it's location on princes dock is perfect being close to Liverpool city centre but not in the middle of the bars and clubs so there is little noise.

Best of all however were the staff, nothing was too much for anyone to do - no matter how big or small and everyone was friendly and seemed happy to help. A big shout out to Kerri who helped us plan everything and Natalia who ran the day itself for us and was absolutely amazing - you could tell she genuinely cared that everything was perfect.

The food during the wedding breakfast was lovely, really well cooked and beautifully presented. If we could complain about anything it would have been that there could have been a bit more veg allowed per person - but this is a minor issue only.

We would both highly recommend to anyone that they hold their wedding at this hotel - almost everything was perfect and we could not have asked for more. We live in London and they really took the stress out of arranging a wedding so far away from where we live.

10 out of 10 for us!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Paul J,

Thank you so much for your lovely review, and of course for choosing us as your wedding venue. We are so glad your big day was perfect and that Kerri and Natalia were such a big help for you! Once again, congratulations on your wedding, and we look forward to welcoming you back here for your 1 year anniversary!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Mal the 1st and 2nd August, 2014. We have stayed there before and it is always good. The hotel was exceptionally busy with a wedding on the Friday night but we had drinks before dinner and it was very relaxing. Our servers, Stephen (the singing waiter who treated us to some opera at the table) and Matthew, who served us the next night, were great fun. Highly recommended for a weekend stay and a chance to explore Liverpool.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the water.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Exilenorth,

Thank you for such lovely feedback. We are so happy that you had such a lovely night spent in the Brasserie, and that our singing waiter Stephen, could entertain you! We hope to be welcoming you back again soon,

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I really expected to love this hotel but I've come home a little disappointed - hence the 3 rating.

The main reasons for this are:

Check in - First room allocated had not been cleaned - there were wet towels strewn everywhere so I went back to reception where another room and key cards where issued. However these didn't seem to work but one of the housekeepers kindly let me in. I unpacked and then went back to get the keys sorted. At this point I was told that I shouldn't have been given that room and a third room was issued. In order to move my things, a member of staff accompanied me whilst I packed everything back up and moved along the corridor. All in all this wasn't the best start!

Decor - Now I'm a big fan of purple and black but you almost need night vision goggles when you get out of the lift and onto the bedroom floors - it's so 'stylish' that you can't make out where to go. Having seen 3 different rooms I can confirm that the purple and black theme continued in all of them and it felt like I walked into a 1980's Argos catalogue as all the furniture was black ash. All of the rooms could do with better lighting for putting on makeup etc and some of the furnishings are not faring well, in particular the carpets look really tatty around the edges.

Complaints - I didn't go down to breakfast and from what I overheard this was propably a good thing. On check in and both mornings of my stay, I overheard many guests making complaints to reception about how awful their breakfast experience had been. I didn't think it was possible to get a hotel breakfast wrong but it certainly sounded as though there had been a few issues.

However, on a more positive note I can say that I liked:
Location - it was a lovely walk along the docks and into town
Size of rooms - spacious bedrooms and bathrooms, with air-con, toiletries, smart tv and free wi-fi
Staff - really friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Go up and have a look at the Beatles themed level 2 - complete with yellow submarine and fish tank!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Fluffievelluto,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about the hotel - positive or negative feedback is always appreciated as it helps us to understand our guests needs. Please accept my sincerest apologies to the experience you encountered during your visit at the hotel. Please let me assure you that is not the norm at the hotel, and all your points are being investigated further.

However, I am happy that you enjoyed the rooms and the brilliant location of the hotel, and of course the friendliness of our staff. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel to show you how we can, and do get it right. We all hope tosee you again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I came for a wedding Fair and decided to have a meal in the Bar after, I had a pimms to drink and a pasta dish from the bar menu, and it was very nice, the staff are very nice and helpful, we have our wedding reception booked for next year and we are both looking forward to coming to this hotel, I find the staff very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Helen P,

Thank you so much for leaving a great review. We are glad you had the opportunity to come to one of our wedding fayres and its brilliant to hear that you have booked with us to hold your special day here. Its brilliant you were able to finish off the day with a meal in the MalBar.
We look forward to seeing you over the coming months around the hotel, planning your big day!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at the Malmaison in June 2014 for a week during the World Corporate Games as part of the Dragon Boat Events Team. The rooms were very clean and tidy. Breakfast was excellent and Sharon Elizabeth Simons, the Hotels Sales Manager could not do enough to help us out during our stay.
The Hotel is situated by the docks and very much central to most things.

Room Tip: Contact Sharon Elizabeth Simons Sales Manager to get the best offers available.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Neil A,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some great feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed your weekend in Liverpool and that we could be a part of that! Its lovely to hear such lovely comments about Sharon, I'm sure she is thrilled to hear that she could help you out so much.

We hope to see you at the hotel again soon,