“good stay”

Malmaison Liverpool
Ranked #37 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Stayed here at the weekend. Funky hotel, and great bar.
overall a good stay at worth the price

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,853)

Reviewed 10 June 2009

I spent the night here so it was easier to get to work in Liverpool City Centre on 09.06.09.

On arrival i was impressed with the decadent reception area and we were checked in pretty quickly by a lovely friendly receptionist who was chatty and polite.

We then made our way up to our room which was on the third floor room 302, on entering the room my first impression was it was small but perfectly formed I had nothing to complain about besides the fact that our room was overlooked by the large multi storey car park next door as I believe from other reviews you have to pay more for a river view. Having lived on the Albert Dock before, I wasn’t too concerned with the river view so decided this wasn’t essential when booking. That would be the only change I would make to the booking in future as the car park made it difficult to get ready in the morning as you were overlooked if like me you don’t like getting ready in the dark.

We ordered room service which was very expensive but the same price as the restaurant so I recommend eating out for a cheaper alternative there are some pretty impressive restaurants in Liverpool at the moment for half the price.

The bathroom was fabulous and had a huge deep bath big enough for 3 small people although we didn’t try that and the room also had a separate wet room feature with a shower and toilet.

The only complaint I had was the wake up call I ordered for 5.40am came at 7.30am and the fire alarm in the building went off at 7.15am for a couple of seconds.

Other than that a very good stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2009

We booked this online, some of the rooms can be very expensive, depends on your budget and your intentions. for us we planned to go and shop, eat out, have a few drinks and an early ish night. We wanted to go and eat in the bar which wasn't possible it was either the main restaurant (pricey) or room service. We ordered room service twice actually and have to say the food was lovely!

Room was a fair size, the bed wasn't that comfy. Bathroom was fantastic

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2009

I stayed at the Malmaison Liverpool last Friday and thoroughly enjoyed my time here. Service was brisk but friendly, the rooms were immaculate and the whole stay was a real treat. Particular highlights are the spacious bathrooms, the enormous bed and excellent freebie toiletries (without doubt the best I've ever come across!).

I'd recommend opting for a riverside view if you can - this costs extra, but waking up with a lovely view of the Mersey (as opposed to the Crowne Plaza hotel) makes it feel extra special. The only minor complaint I had of the stay was the time it took to get served in the bar area - it only operates table service but people were waiting so long they ended up going to the kitchen area to order anyway. If it's busy you might be better ordering a bottle of wine and savouring that instead of ordering a cocktail as it can take some time!

Nevertheless, if you fancy a treat it's a great one to try - make sure you leave some time to have a bath in the huge tub though!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2009

I stayed in Malmaison for three nights in May. The rooms were spacious (big queen size bed), complete with a nice flat-screened TV and armoire (inside was a safe and mini-bar). The bathroom was unique; it had a sink and a big tub; in the next area was the toilet, and directly in front of the toilet was the shower. Some reviewers have described the shower as "prison-like" (the area is black-tiled so it's darker, and walls are close together), but I describe it more as modern and minimalistic. It was clean, so that's all that mattered to me! My view from my room on the 6th floor was of the Princes Dock and the River Mersey. I thought the people working the front desk and housekeeping were very nice and always greeted me with a smile.

The hotel also has "Brasserie and Bar at Malmaison". At breakfast, you have your choice of continental items for about 11 quid and change, or hot breakfast for about 13 quid or so. The dinner menu was plentiful and ranged from steaks to burgers to pizza. The bar next to it is chic and comfy, albeit small. One thing I enjoyed about the restaurant was the view (you can see the Royal Liver Building).

Location is good; just a 5-10 minute walk from Albert Dock and Liverpool One/City Centre. Because Malmaison is a bit further from the hustle and bustle of Albert Dock, the area is quiet, which is appreciated.

One thing I cannot comment on is price. I won a trip to Liverpool thanks to adidas (after going to Liverpool in March!), so adidas foot the bill for the room and food. I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the hotel; its theme is very "Liverpudlian" (its two suites on the 6th floor are The Toffee Room and The Kop, rooms dedicated to the two football clubs in the city). Overall, I had a very nice stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank SLHohen
Reviewed 8 May 2009

We stayed two nights and despite the hotel being practically empty got a room with a vile view of a multistorey carpark with gigantic advertising hoarding. Whilst checking in I asked for a room with a decent view and was told I was given a particularly good room. I expect the youngsters on reception had a good laugh about that one. During the whole stay the staff treated us as though we were an inconvenience. No one is rude but then no one was friendly either. The only person who smiled was the chap who showed us to our table at breakfast each morning.

The room was compact and modern (dark and moody). The bed could have been more comfortable. Good tea and coffee making stuff. Bathroom was good but disappointing products (bar of soap, shampoo & conditioner only) No slippers or dressing gown. Parking costs £15 a night

This is a chain hotel with a good 4* modern formula. If the staff had been friendly or helpful or even smiled our couple of nights would have been really nice, but as it was we were relieved when we left.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Souxie
Reviewed 1 May 2009

me and my girlfriend were visiting liverpool for a weekend break to celebrate her birthday.
from the start we were impressed by the reception/lobby, and the check in service were just right.
the room was one of the best ive ever stayed in, not the biggest but the décor and little touches were great. the bathroom was amazing, again not the biggest but the bath was huge almost like a hot tub and the walk in shower great.
we didn't leave the hotel much to be honest! the hotel is very warm and comfortable and i was particularly impressed by the dog bed and feeding bowls they had put in the room for us - v. nice touch!

only complaint is the service in the bar and restaurant is slow and sometimes you need to really try to get staffs attention, but the food itself is very good. they just need to get their staff to be led properly and it will be all fine.

all in all, i would highly recommend! take your partner there for a suprise stay trust me they will be putty in your hands!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business