“Nice hotel with an indifferent brasserie attached”

Malmaison Liverpool
Ranked #36 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
London, England
“Nice hotel with an indifferent brasserie attached”
Reviewed 22 September 2009

First impressions of the Malmaison were excellent - welcoming staff and a very trendy entrance hall. We had to change our allotted room as our first smelled of cigarette smoke(!) but the view was equally excellent of the Mersey and the room large, well equipped with a large walk in shower. The bar appeared to be the meeting place for the Liverpool lasses and they were out in their hordes this weekend, making us two, slightly older, clientele feel a bit outnumbered. The brasserie looked a good menu but the food was disappointing and I complained about mine. The waiter ignored me but the sommelier was first class, called the manager, who took my starter off the bill, and gave us free desserts and more wine. Good location walking distance from all the riverside attractions.

1 Thank notacouchpotato

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 17 September 2009

This hotel is beautiful, we stayed here and it was the perfect base for our weekend in Liverpool, we didnt eat in the brasserie so I cant comment but the menu looked lovely. The rooms are plush and the bathrooms are fabulous... we only had the standard rooms so I can imagine that the suites are amazing!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank HappytravelerUk
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 11 September 2009

I stayed at the Malmaison with a colleague for one night as we had business in the area.

I chose the hotel firstly as I have stayed in many of the other hotels so felt it was a chain I could trust, and secondly due to its location near my appointment.

My first bone of contention is the parking arrangement which is in a multistorey next door, but instead of being able to drive in you have to stop outside the hotel (where there is no actual parking spaces) go in, get a ticket, get back in your car and then go into the car park to park, then come back out with your bags to check in. When it is late at night and its raining, and the postcode you have from the website doesnt exist in your Tom Tom this didnt really start my stay in the way in which I would have hoped!

Check in was Ok, and on entering my room everything was in order as you would expect from a malmaison.

My colleague and I ate in the restaurant. We didnt reserve a table, instead presented ourselves at about 7.30pm to be told it was very busy as they had a large party but they would try and squeeze us in. On entering, the restaurant was half empty with no evidence of a large party. Food was OK but presented on wooden boars and slates so not exactly practical. (not ideal when you want to put your jus on your lamb)

I put my valuables in the inroom safe as advised (and as I do in most places), tested the safe before putting anything in. Next morning safe wouldnt open (inside my laptop, sat nav, car key, house key etc). Called reception only to be told I had obviously put the wrong code in and told to try again. Did so to no avail I make notes of the codes so clearly hadnt put the wrong code in. Called back and was put through to the person in the know, only to be told i had to leave it for 30 mins and try again, 30 mins I did not have, as needed to get to an appointment. Reluctantly the man came up to reset (was quite rude on arrival at my room).

On the whole I feel let down by this particular malmaison. It has the potential of being as well put together as many of the other branches but has gone too far over the edge of losing touch with customer service and concentrating on the pretentiousness of it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank PrincessKittyKins
Here, there and everywhere
Reviewed 5 September 2009

We stayed at the hotel on it's Wine and dine package - so 1 nights stay mersey view room plus a 2 course meal for 2 in the restaurant inc wine and coffees.

Location wise we walked to it having parked at the Q park at Liverpool 1 - it's not clearly signposted from the road or even when you get past the Crowne Plaza - a sign pointing you in the right direction might be useful.

On arrival at the hotel early we intended to check in and leave our bags for storage however there was a room ready so we were able to check straight in. The reception whilst gothic and fancy is also pretty gloomy due to the use of dark colours. And on a summer day very hot due to a large fire burning.

Room itself was nice and clean (some other reviews mentioned their bathroom not being spotless but I had a good look round and can confirm ours was - room 325). We had a view across the dock in front of the hotel (which the following morning was fab as there was a great American liner docked nearby that was quite cool to see). Bathroom was nice with toilettries by Arran Aromatics - these were 250ml bottles (some people had posted about them only being small but more than enough there I thought).

We'd prebooked for the restaurant after the hotel had rung us a month before our stay to tell us it was getting booked up so we were in there at 7pm. The restaurant was about half full however only a minute after sitting down and before even having chance to look at the menu we were told we should "order soon as it's going to get really busy"! It may well have been but that's not really my fault and at 7pm you shouldn't be feeling rushed. Like other reviews I didn't like the really low chairs - felt it left you at a strange height for eating your meal. We had 2 courses off the set menu which used local produce. The food itself was lovely - couldn't fault it and at £15 for 3 courses seemed very reasonable value.

At the end of the meal though there was no coffee forthcoming so we just headed out of the restaurant. A 10% automatic service charge was added to our bill even though our stay had been prepaid - I'm quite happy to tip but I do prefer it to be my choice or at least let me know the service charge is automatic.

The one thing that put me off staying again was the fact the hotel room doors are naturally fire doors so very heavy and all night long all you could hear was them crashing shut as people returned to their rooms. I'm a light sleeper and even with ear plugs it disturbed me - my OH slept straight through so for some people that might be fine.

We've stayed in a number of other hotels in Liverpool before and I did want to try this one but the door noise for me was too much to want to return.

2 Thank ruthiebabie
North West
Reviewed 2 September 2009

my second stay and very good again - clean, stylish room and good service. It is very relaxing and the staff are very helpful. The room service is a bit lacking food wise to be honest - so this could be better but apart from that great again

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Cheesethief
Chesterfield
Reviewed 29 August 2009

From the moment I walked into the hotel I felt great, such a stylish entrance large comfy sofa's all purple & black with a comforting central fireplace .....very impressive....Parking is just opposite the hotel, you have to get a ticket from reception which they do explain on their website....so I was prepared....at least it's secure.

The room was fab, though the black paint on the handbasin was peeling.....but it was clean....

I had dinner with my collegue in the restaurant, service was a bit hit and miss, several visits from our waitress before we confirmed that we could mix and match menu options...eventually had a very nice starter the chicken Parfait...would have liked more toast....my real bug bear was the height of the tables, I felt like I had become a borrower with oversized tables which came up to my throat meaning I had to eat with my arms held virtually over my head....& no I am not 3ft tall I am an average height 5"4....dinner arrived on wooden servers which I didn't really think was a great idea didn't feel clean enough to eat off....especially as I had lamb with gravy ...mmmm portion size good though....I would definatley stay again but probably elect to eat elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Princessalaska
London
Reviewed 28 August 2009

Booked on line for 1 night as we were returning to Liverpool on the 6pm ferry from the Isle of Man and travelling on to London the following day. The hotel is just 5 minutes from the IOM ferry terminal.
Paid £95 for a room with river view (tariff menu at reception showed same room to be £190).
Had a drink in the Plum bar which was really elegant, then had a nice meal in the brasserie, where a great sommelier guided me round the wine!
The room was lovely and included a minibar so at least mineral water was kept chilled.
Would love to stay longer...a very good hotel.