“Great hotel, great stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malmaison Liverpool

Malmaison Liverpool
Ranked #31 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Ireland
“Great hotel, great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2009

We stayed at the Mal for 4 nights in August. The hotel is very modern and stylish. We booked a room with a mersey view (for an extra fee) but when we got to our room you could only see the view from one corner of the room. Our room was small, but had a really comfy bed and loads of pillows. Breakfast was served to your room, but if your looking for a full english you must go down stairs, only continental breakfast was served in the room which was really nice too. The bathrooms were fabulous with seperate bath and the nicest waterfall shower i have ever been in. The Mal is around a 10 min walk to liverpool 1. Its a little further in a taxi as you have to go around a link road, so you could get out at the Crown Plaze and walk 2 min to the hotel. Theres not much in the facinity of the hotel, but the albert dock is only a short walk away.
We ate at the restuarant the first night and it was really beautiful. All staff were courteous at all times and even gave us a late check out on our last night. When checking out i mentioned the lack of view from our room and we were refunded the difference per night - cant really complain with this.
Overall had a great stay at the Mal and would definitly stay there again.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Hereford, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

Every hotel chain at this price level knows the secret of success; large, bright, airy, spotless rooms, classy furnishings, great staff, good food, luxury and convenience. So it's a bit disconcerting when Malmaison claim that their hotels 'dare to be different'.
Mals are different, and this is nowhere more obvious than in the colour schemes - black does play a large part! And yet they do seem to manage to pull it off: at least I keep going back for more.
Malmaison Liverpool is a modern building, in a good location. You need to be lucky with your room allocation though. Half the rooms face onto a busy inner city dual carriageway and one of the ugliest brutalist blocks that I've ever seen, the other half face onto a yuppified dock and then over the Mersey estuary. So your view could be rated 1/10 or 10/10 depending on which side you end up. The best rooms end in 18 (ie 418, 518 etc). These are corner view rooms with large windows overlooking both the dock and the lovely old Liver building.
The restaurant was very good throughout our stay - I hope they manage to retain the current chef because he is undoubtedly a major asset.
One Malmaison niggle though. Every one of my stays in a Malmaison has resulted in a bill with copious errors - every one in favour of the hotel. Nothing too obvious, but a fiver here and a tenner there always seems to creep onto the bill. There were four such mistakes this time. As always, the receptionist instantly corrects the 'mistakes' and happily reprints your bill, but it takes the shine off one's stay to finish a relaxing stay with a tussle at check-out.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ToWS
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

I stayed here for two weeks while working with some colleagues at the PCT, and the best I can do is laugh about how utterly abysmal my experience at "The Mal" was.

First: a colleague had arranged a week ahead of time for an early check-in time for me and was told the room would certainly be available on the specified time on the specified day, no problem. Upon arrival after a very long and arduous trip, I was told the room was not ready and that the hotel had no record of any conversation regarding an early check-in. So, I dragged myself to the office to wait out the 3 hours until check-in. When I got back to the hotel to check in, there was a 20-minute wait while they fumbled with my colleague's credit card (LOCAL credit card, mind, not international or even out of town card).

Second: There is free wireless internet access in the rooms, but one must call down to the front desk at regular intervals in order to receive a new passkey to continue using the internet. If the time elapses on the current passkey before you've saved everything you're working on, you're out of luck. Also, front desk staff seemed quite annoyed with requests for internet passkeys, and I ended up on hold for long periods of time waiting for passkeys throughout my entire 2-week stay.

Third: This supposedly proudly smoke-free hotel has the constant problems of 1) kitchen staff smoking in the kitchen and then opening the kitchen door to the rest of the lobby so that all the smoke fills the lobby and bar areas, and 2) allowing people to smoke in the enclosed entryway, thus violating the national law. The smoking kitchen staff problem meant I had to order the more expensive room service rather than eat in the restaurant any time I needed to eat at the hotel.

(The rest of these are where it goes from just clueless to downright appalling):

Fourth: On three separate occasions when I left for the day and hung the "Please service room" sign on the doorknob, I returned to a room untouched by the housekeeping staff, including a day when I was out of toilet paper and came back to a room still devoid of toilet paper. I called down to the front desk for more toilet paper and waited 1.5 hours, called again, waited another 0.5 hr, and called a third time expressing the dire problem of needing to use my bathroom and having to wait 2 hours for toilet paper. After another 0.5 hr finally someone came with one roll of toilet paper for me.

Fifth: One day when I left my mobile phone charger plugged into the outlet as I left for the office, I returned to my room to find my charger had been taken. I called housekeeping and asked if someone had mistakenly taken my charger and was told they would solve the problem immediately. Night came and went, following morning came and went, and two more calls to housekeeping were answered with expressions of complete ignorance of anything to do with a phone charger missing from my room. I left for the office that day with a dying phone battery. That night someone arrived at my room with my charger and a rather vague apology about things left lying around in my room.

Fifth: One day when I left for the office I noticed a new housekeeping staff member with a cart at the end of the hallway--a young man. When I returned to my room at the end of the day, I found all of my dirty underwear had been taken from the drawer I had been keeping them in. Upset and feeling rather violated, I called down to housekeeping and explained that my dirty underwear had been taken from a closed drawer in my room. They said they'd look into it immediately, but after several more calls to housekeeping over the next several days, nothing ever came of it. I don't even want to imagine what the young man wanted my dirty underwear for.

Needless to say, I stuffed all of the personal belongings that would fit into the room safe every time I left the room from then on.

Sixth: On check-out day, the colleague with the credit card on which the room was charged was to return to the hotel at the end of the day to finalize my check-out (I had an early train and left in the morning of check-out day). The colleague tells me she fought with the front desk for literally 45 minutes over the fact that the bill was for only one person. Seriously--they were not going to let her leave until "everyone on the account has checked out". The bill was for more than £2000, and the desk staff apparently wouldn't believe that it could have been for just one person. My colleague explained over and over that I had stayed for two weeks, and even showed the desk person on a calculator how that would amount to the total bill. They insisted there were other guests in the hotel on that account and would not let my colleague leave until all the other guests were accounted for. Finally she was able to convince them, but really, 45 minutes of arguing over how one person staying 2 weeks could accrue a £2000 bill? Don't they even know their nightly charge?

I would never recommend this abysmal hotel to anyone, friend or foe. I wouldn't even wish this place on an enemy.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank madbrewer
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

First impressions of the Malmaison were excellent - welcoming staff and a very trendy entrance hall. We had to change our allotted room as our first smelled of cigarette smoke(!) but the view was equally excellent of the Mersey and the room large, well equipped with a large walk in shower. The bar appeared to be the meeting place for the Liverpool lasses and they were out in their hordes this weekend, making us two, slightly older, clientele feel a bit outnumbered. The brasserie looked a good menu but the food was disappointing and I complained about mine. The waiter ignored me but the sommelier was first class, called the manager, who took my starter off the bill, and gave us free desserts and more wine. Good location walking distance from all the riverside attractions.

1 Thank notacouchpotato
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2009

This hotel is beautiful, we stayed here and it was the perfect base for our weekend in Liverpool, we didnt eat in the brasserie so I cant comment but the menu looked lovely. The rooms are plush and the bathrooms are fabulous... we only had the standard rooms so I can imagine that the suites are amazing!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank HappytravelerUk
Oxfordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2009

I stayed at the Malmaison with a colleague for one night as we had business in the area.

I chose the hotel firstly as I have stayed in many of the other hotels so felt it was a chain I could trust, and secondly due to its location near my appointment.

My first bone of contention is the parking arrangement which is in a multistorey next door, but instead of being able to drive in you have to stop outside the hotel (where there is no actual parking spaces) go in, get a ticket, get back in your car and then go into the car park to park, then come back out with your bags to check in. When it is late at night and its raining, and the postcode you have from the website doesnt exist in your Tom Tom this didnt really start my stay in the way in which I would have hoped!

Check in was Ok, and on entering my room everything was in order as you would expect from a malmaison.

My colleague and I ate in the restaurant. We didnt reserve a table, instead presented ourselves at about 7.30pm to be told it was very busy as they had a large party but they would try and squeeze us in. On entering, the restaurant was half empty with no evidence of a large party. Food was OK but presented on wooden boars and slates so not exactly practical. (not ideal when you want to put your jus on your lamb)

I put my valuables in the inroom safe as advised (and as I do in most places), tested the safe before putting anything in. Next morning safe wouldnt open (inside my laptop, sat nav, car key, house key etc). Called reception only to be told I had obviously put the wrong code in and told to try again. Did so to no avail I make notes of the codes so clearly hadnt put the wrong code in. Called back and was put through to the person in the know, only to be told i had to leave it for 30 mins and try again, 30 mins I did not have, as needed to get to an appointment. Reluctantly the man came up to reset (was quite rude on arrival at my room).

On the whole I feel let down by this particular malmaison. It has the potential of being as well put together as many of the other branches but has gone too far over the edge of losing touch with customer service and concentrating on the pretentiousness of it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PrincessKittyKins
Here, there and everywhere
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2009

We stayed at the hotel on it's Wine and dine package - so 1 nights stay mersey view room plus a 2 course meal for 2 in the restaurant inc wine and coffees.

Location wise we walked to it having parked at the Q park at Liverpool 1 - it's not clearly signposted from the road or even when you get past the Crowne Plaza - a sign pointing you in the right direction might be useful.

On arrival at the hotel early we intended to check in and leave our bags for storage however there was a room ready so we were able to check straight in. The reception whilst gothic and fancy is also pretty gloomy due to the use of dark colours. And on a summer day very hot due to a large fire burning.

Room itself was nice and clean (some other reviews mentioned their bathroom not being spotless but I had a good look round and can confirm ours was - room 325). We had a view across the dock in front of the hotel (which the following morning was fab as there was a great American liner docked nearby that was quite cool to see). Bathroom was nice with toilettries by Arran Aromatics - these were 250ml bottles (some people had posted about them only being small but more than enough there I thought).

We'd prebooked for the restaurant after the hotel had rung us a month before our stay to tell us it was getting booked up so we were in there at 7pm. The restaurant was about half full however only a minute after sitting down and before even having chance to look at the menu we were told we should "order soon as it's going to get really busy"! It may well have been but that's not really my fault and at 7pm you shouldn't be feeling rushed. Like other reviews I didn't like the really low chairs - felt it left you at a strange height for eating your meal. We had 2 courses off the set menu which used local produce. The food itself was lovely - couldn't fault it and at £15 for 3 courses seemed very reasonable value.

At the end of the meal though there was no coffee forthcoming so we just headed out of the restaurant. A 10% automatic service charge was added to our bill even though our stay had been prepaid - I'm quite happy to tip but I do prefer it to be my choice or at least let me know the service charge is automatic.

The one thing that put me off staying again was the fact the hotel room doors are naturally fire doors so very heavy and all night long all you could hear was them crashing shut as people returned to their rooms. I'm a light sleeper and even with ear plugs it disturbed me - my OH slept straight through so for some people that might be fine.

We've stayed in a number of other hotels in Liverpool before and I did want to try this one but the door noise for me was too much to want to return.

2 Thank ruthiebabie