“opulance at an affordable price”

Malmaison Liverpool
Ranked #36 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Just come back from a business stay with a few colleagues at this lovely hotel and as stated by other reviewers - as soon as you walk in, all of the staff are informative, friendly, courteous and just downright great people.

I can't fault the rooms, they are spacious, clean, fitted with quality furnishings and have mamouth size beds. The bathrooms are fitted out to an equal or if possible, a better standard - buttler style sinks, deep 'kidney' shaped baths and walk in showers big enough for two or more !

We all ate in the restuarant and choose from the full menu, starters included the seared scalops and also the salmon. Main course's selected included steak entrecote and steak frites (a very large but thin steak). Everybody reported their meals were great and this was topped off by a wine selection that the lady sommelier had recommended.

The whole experience is highly recommendable and is totally worthy of the overnight cost which included breakfast. This stay was made even more pleasurable knowing that our cars where in the private, contract only, 24hr cctv car park next door, although you pay £15 for this.

Having suffered a dire stay recently at the nearby Radisson Blu - I can now safely say, that the Radisson Blu will no longer having mine, or my companies custom again. The Malmaison wins hands down on every aspect.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 May 2010

A very smart hotel with friendly and efficient staff. The bar and restaurant are busy and fun, we ate in the restaurant and would recommend. Continental breakfast can be delivered to your room and is delicious and substantial.

The only downside was the lighting in the room, in common with a lot of smart new hotels they go for mood lighting, even in the bathroom, not great for girls putting on make-up!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 May 2010

I got to the hotel and was greeted by name (the person at reception recognised my uniform and knew I was staying there) he was very warm and friendly and explained the local area for me. The room was delightful. Massive bed, wonderful bathroom with a huge bath and walk in shower.
The only things for improvement would be the TV channels and reception and the room service menu.
If you eat breakfast here then have eggs benedict. Simply divine!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Since our honeymoon was cancelled thanks to the volcano my new husband and I treated ourselves to the Love Suite Love package at the Mal, staying in the Toffee Shop suite on the 6th floor. It wasn't as blokeish as I had expected - there are a few football pictures on the walls and that's about it.

We were a bit concerned on arriving as the hotel was covered in scaffolding as it was having its facade re-fitted. The lady on reception assured us they would be finished 'at about 4' and that it wouldn't be too noisy. I have to disagree. It sounded like someone kept knocking on our door and went on til about 5pm, starting up again at half eight in the morning.

Other than that the stay was great. The rooms are purposefully kept quite dark and sultry, which is fine for a bit of romance but not so great when trying to put your makeup on in the morning! We had champagne on ice and four chocolate dipped strawberries waiting for us in the room. In addition to the usual shower gel and conditioner we also had some bath and massage oil and some body lotion. I love the bath in the Mal - you could probably fit about three people in there! It's deep and fills quickly and is fantastic for a soak or whatever else you choose to do... The shower took a bit of figuring out as the temperature dial wasn't set back to zero so it started off hot... and got hotter. Until we realised, then it was fine.

There were a few bugs with the DVD player in the lounge - it had sound but no picture. Then when we tried the one in the bedroom it had picture but no sound. I quick look at the back found it was only a loose scart plug which was quickly sorted out, but then the foot of the bed was in the way of the signal from the remote, which was a bit annoying.

We had dinner in the brassierie. The menu is a bit on the expensive side but no more so than other hotel menus, and the food is pretty good. We had the three tenners set menu. I had white onion soup to start and homemade chicken pie with smashed potatoes, and my husband had the ham hock terrine and beef bourguignonne. We managed to squeeze in dessert. The bill came to £49 with service and no wine.

The beds are super-comfortable. I slept like a log. It would have been better if the bedroom had had aircon like the lounge but if you leave the door open it's not too stuffy.

Breakfast was lovely - last time we had a tray to the room but this time we went down to the brasserie for the cooked option. There is a continental buffet but the hot breakfast you have to choose from a menu, so it's a bit all-or-nothing. I had eggs benedict with bacon, my husband the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. There was a full english option.

The hotel is a bit on the pricey side but it has great rooms, great atmosphere and you can get good deals on the net or if you book in advance. I just love the baths. I'd come back again for that alone!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Almapaprika
Reviewed 14 April 2010

You might think initially you're paying for the prestige of staying here and the brand but these guys offer great value.
Whilst not the most central all staff service is unmatched. Friendly, informative - especially the bar staff. I ordered a cocktail and they asked a few questions on my tastes - they were honest enough to recommend it wouldn't have been the best fit for what I liked. The prices in the bar are fair and the quality of drinks is excellent.
Room service is something people often opt for that they feel begrudged to pay for. Not only was the menu all at a reasonable cost but the associated service and quality of food was really good. Thumbs up, especially the Bacon Sandwich.
Rooms are comfortable yet as a few years old. This doesn't hamper the quality but a few small signs of a well loved room, however this only didn't get 5 stars in this area as everything else is SO good.
Thanks Malmaison, a very satsfying two night stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my hubby as we were having a night out on the town. The Reception hall is breathtaking and the cocktails were fab! After a little mix up with our room booking we were extremely happy with our very sleek yet romantic room and the bath was amazing!!! I will be definatley staying with them again!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2010

We got a preferential rate due to us making two complaints about previous stays at the Leeds Malmaison. The room was gorgeous and luxurious and the whole hotel continues the luxury feel. It's very much a treat for couples or friends alike but I wouldn't think of it as a family hotel. It dares to be different so don't go if you like standard patterned carpet hotels with magnolia walls!

Staff are warm and welcoming but friendly with it not like some hotels you go to where staff are borderline rude with you they are so formal!

The location is great too with fab views. You're close enough to the city where there is so much to do (and not enough time to do it all!) but far away enough to get a peaceful nights sleep.

Highly recommend this hotel and city to anyone looking for a city break or romantic weekend away.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business