“Classy Mal.”

Ranked #36 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
UK
“Classy Mal.”
Reviewed 21 February 2011

My husband and I came to the Mal for a Valentines day treat. We (tongue in cheek) decided to have a 'High Rollers Night' to see how the other half live.

Naturally, when being a High Roller step one is to Book the Mal. In fact not so high roller, as got a great deal on their website for £89. Usually rooms are around £135!

The hotel is a 10 minute trek from Moorfields train station, located next to the Pier Head, just round the corner from the Liver building. Not really convenient for nightlife, more for the business district.

Reception were friendly and dealt with us quickly. The hotel is dark and atmospheric which I liked to begin with as it gave a sophisticated, sexy vibe. Although this started to annoy me as it was hard putting my make up on in the room. By the next day I was yearning for daylight!

Loved the sophisticated decor in the rooms and the bed was comfy with fluffy duvet and pillows. The bathroom had a small wetroom feature and a roomy bath. Nice touches in room like selection of various teas and decaf real coffee on hospitality tray and decent hairdryer. Also very much liked the 12 o clock check out!

Slight gripes were that there was limited space to put toiletries around the sink. There was no showercap which I thought was essential as the shower had one of those large pan head showers where the water drops straight down so you can't spare your hair! Also no 'do not disturb' sign for room and chain on door didn't work so housekeeping inevitably popped their head round there door. View from, window was a car park but I'm not bothered about that.

Room became very hot about 4AM so turn down air con when going to bed.

Lounge is very classy and a great place to have a drink.

The gripes were very small and I will be definitely booking another High Roller Night here!!

1 Thank minibreak_hero

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Polish first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2011

We booked to stay Valentines Night and the room was really nice and modern and included a large round bath and a walk-in shower. It was also my birthday the next day and when we arrived they gave me a note for a free cocktail in the Plum bar. We visited the Plum bar that evening, the cocktails were very tasty and the atmosphere was good. Overall we had a lovely stay and didn't want to leave!

Surrey, UK
Reviewed 15 February 2011

All the Malmaison hotels are lovely. Stayed in this one twice in last three months and there again in a couple of weeks. Its upmarket, sophisticated, unpretentious and has lovely touches.
They do some great special offers as well!

Some building works going on at present (and have been for a VERY long time) but they are careful to ensure these are only within usual working hours.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2011

We went to the Malmaison Liverpool for the Valentine weekend. On the plus side the location was ideal for us although some guests may find it too far from the centre of town and the clubs etc..I have seen other guests comment on it being a dark hotel although we loved the mood lighting. The Plum bar was great and you were served at your table and it was good that the staff were attentive and 'clocked' each guest as they came in to ensure they took your drink order and you weren't left wondering when someone was going to turn up. The reception staff were excellent as we had checked in quite a few hours early and they did attempt to see if there was a room ready for us even though we were nowhere near the normal check in time. Dinner in the Brassiere was excellent the staff there we again very attentive and nothing was too much trouble for them- they even changed my wife's cocktail 3 times. On the downside we found it amusing that there was one table in the Brassiere which was under the direct glare of the spotlight and every diner (including us) asked to be moved from the table - in the end we were timing how long it would take before guests asked to be moved. We could not understand why the staff kept seating people at this table when they knew that within minutes they would be asking to be moved. Simple solution - alter the angle of the spotlight!!! Our only real complaint was the breakfast which was expensive and when served my cooked breakfast was lukewarm so was my wife’s egg Benedict. The only other complaint was the car parking charges which was high especially when you could have parked elsewhere at a fraction of the cost. Nonetheless, we enjoyed Liverpool and our stay at the Mal.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 13 February 2011

If you've not stayed in a Malmaison before then it's a small hotel chain that is very much catering for Adults who want to relax, enjoy themselves and not be surrounded by kids. For those who've stayed in one before, the Liverpool one is along similar lines - lovely dark interior, all rather exciting, easy on the eye and has an understated sophisticated feel for a chain hotel without being too weird or try-hard about it.

Staff were all excellent. We stayed one night only over the weekend and it feels like an oasis of calm compared to when you go out for the evening in town! I'd never been to Liverpool before, and it's a cracking city - all fairly compact.

Room had a superb, wide bath. Excellent shower. Decent toiletries, good TV and a very comfortable bed. They were doing a deal on wine in the room - we only paid £13.95 for a bottle of wine, which is excellent value for a hotel.

The bar was small, but plenty of sofas in which to sit and relax and enjoy a drink. The hotel provides free wi-fi in 30 min slots (if you want uninterrupted, you have to pay).. but I found that just re logging in with a different user name and phone number after the 30mins was up gave me a further 30mins, so there really was little need to pay.

Check-in was 3pm, which I think is at least one hour too late, but they were happy to hold our bags. Checkout was noon.

Breakfast was provided on our rate (which I can't comment on as I didn't pay!) but it was excellent. Great choice of fresh fruit, cereals and yoghurts and if you wanted a cooked breakfast then they provided the usuals. I had eggs royale, which were delicious. Again service was spot on.

Can't comment on any other facilities.

Location wise, was about a 15min walk from Liverpool Lime Street station in one direction, and less than 10mins to Albert Docks in the other, so not bang in the middle, but not far at all.

brighton
Reviewed 8 February 2011

again amazing hotel, the views over the river were fantastic especially when the sun was setting!! beautiful room. HUGE deep bath for 2 . Shower for 2 . Beautiful decor as always. Only down side is the breakfast is super expensive and very " eggs benedict" where as we would have liked a huge fry up kinda breakfast! :)

We stayed here whilst we was up in liverpool watching the football as a birthday treat for my boyfriend. Its perfect location and just a short walk into town!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Liverpool / London
Reviewed 7 February 2011

I was home with the wife for my Aunties Birthday on the Saturday, i decided to come to Liverpool on the Friday and make a weekend of it.

We arrived on Friday afternoon and we were given the car park pass (its 15 a day to park but it still works out cheaper than off street parking) the car park is very secure with access and exit only possible with your swipe ticket and don’t forget most people don’t drive, but just be aware that you have to pay.

The hotel is right on the waterfront with views of the Liver building and sea front and the car park exit is 10 feet from the front of the hotel.

As you enter the hotel you are met with a lovely open fire with a 30ft chimney to the roof, with lovely settees and tables we were met by the receptionist who booked us in in 2 minutes

The room was very spacious and we were on the 6th floor, the bed was very big and the room came with a very large bath, separate shower, air con, plenty of storage for clothes, mini bar, and various things you can purchase in the room (bottle of wine, crisps, nuts, chocolates)

We booked a meal before arriving so as we didn’t have to wait and the service was probably the best I’ve had...i have travelled for years but only been using trip advisor for a short while, but this service was excellent..

We had a glass of champagne, compliments of the house as it was a little busy, but the food was 10/10, the staff in the restaurant were very polite and chatty and made you feel very comfortable

We then went back to the lounge area for drinks and you can either pay or put it on your bill..

Now the Breakfast was fantastic. I tip my hat to the chef in the morning because it was so big i didn’t eat till the evening

a great hotel, with great staff and i would definitely stay again