“Enjoyable Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Surrey, UK
“Enjoyable Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the first time at the end of July 2013, got upgraded to the Executive Double from a Standard Room. Well when we walked in we were so shocked at how big the room was, really nice and so pleased!! The bed so so comfortable and the bathroom was fabulous. I definitely recommend and will be staying again on my next trip to Liverpool.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Visiting Liverpool is always lovely and Castle Street is a great location as it's close to Matthew Street, Liverpool One and the Albert Dock. However, this hotel was a treat for us (at £100/night) and I was expecting more than just a great location.

The room was a beautiful, old-fashioned massive room with a comfortable double bed, two comfy arm chairs, a big TV and a little dining table. The Ipod player and stereo are nice extra touches. We were given the only balcony that had an iron front rather than a stone one which made it a bit less appealing as the paint was peeling off and it had a safety net covering it all. However it was nice to be able to open the doors to get a nice breeze. The room was showing it's age a little bit, the paint looked like it needed a re-do but overall it still looked nice.

The bathroom was lovely too. The bath was modern and large and the sink was nice and big. They were a bit stingy with the free toiletries though. The towels were definitely expensive; more fluffy and soft than the M&S ones we have at home.

I was disappointed about the lack of WiFi. I thought a hotel that calls itself 4 star would definitely have wireless internet in all the rooms. Unfortunately they only offer wifi in the downstairs lobby; in the rooms they have a wire to plug in your laptop. However, I have a notebook so my connection was too small; Ipads and smartphones can't use this wire either. It was also surprising that the room didn't have a fridge/minibar. We had brought a bottle of wine expecting to be able to keep it cold but had to resort to an ice bucket.

The night receptionist was especially friendly. (A middle-aged gentleman). He was pleased to provide ice and made sure to tell us to just call if we needed anything else.

I'd be happy to return to this hotel but I don't think I'd pay more than £60 or £70 per night.

Room Tip: The outside noise is probably lessened on the higher floors.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us and thank you for the positive comments. However I note your frustration with the Wi-Fi offered in the hotel, unfortunately as we are an old building which was formally a bank, the walls are so thick we can not use just one router to servie the site as some properties are able to so we are at this point, only able to offer it in the public areas. We do try and direct guests to the Lounge on the first floor of the hotel as it is usually quiet so they can sit in peace. Please look out for our summer deals as we would love to welcome you back to the hotel on a future occasion.
Western Ireland, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Booked to stay in this hotel for 3 nights.. When we arrived for check in , there was no one there waited for 4 mins .. Went to bar, no one there .. Said "hello 3 times" then a receptionist appeared, checked in but wasn't told anything of what hotel facilities were , meal times , etc ...
Room was spacious ,etc
Went for breakfast next morning and again were left waiting.not been to impatient but anything as long as 7 mins is a bit ... . As we didn't want anything just a grill/poached egg .. Eventually a lovely girl arrived and we were sorted , but can't understand why we were left waiting as they were only 2 other guests in room!!!
Went out for day, had something to eat in town and decided to have drink back at hotel and when we arrived back at 10pm No one in bar to serve us.. We're told Tuesday very quiet, to us it didn't matter, we were paying guest, so we had to head across road to get a night cap, which I was not impressed with as the reason I chose this Hotel , was the Boutique Hotel..!!
Internet access is terrible, which is something I also wasn't aware that u can only get in Bar.. As this been a ex bank building u can't get coverage in Rooms... "Huge Disappointment..." I feel this should be noted in hotel info..
All in all, location is great,,but this Hotel has a huge amount of improvement do in relation to customer service, as I felt it is all geared towards the weekend client, we were paying £100. Per night , and as such such it shouldn't matter whether you there Monday or Sunday or Friday, my money is hard earned , we like to get value for our money , but in this case I came away Hugely Disappointed with Castle St. .
I had done a lot of research before I booked this Hotel, and have to say this is our first time that I felt let down with my choice of Hotel..
Will be back in Liverpool again, but would have to say I wouldn't book this hotel again... Huge huge disappointment .

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback after your stay with us and I am sorry that your experience was not what you were expecting. I can only apologise for the delays you experienced whilst checking in and also at breakfast, we are a small team so sometimes reception will have to assist a guest and be away from the desk so again I apologise for your wait. Your feedback will be taken on board and I hope that you will stay with us again to see how our customer service has improved.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Great hotel - very stylish, very individual, and fantastic rooms. Nice bar downstairs too. I think it's originally an old bank building so it's a very grand design, with high ceilings everywhere. Great location for exploring town.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely review, its always good to hear people comment on the fantastic building, we are very lucky to be part of Castle St which has some of the best buildings in the City. Hopefully we will see you again soon, check out some of our summer deals.
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

My only quibble with this hotel is that they have to resort to the notoriously expensive Q park for the guests. There was a voucher available which knocked a few pounds off the car park ticket. This was available on check-out, though at that time their computers were down, so it wasn't offered and I forgot to ask.

However, I have since written to the hotel and offered to leave the few pounds (the value of the voucher) as a tip for Ken, the concierge, who was most helpful and with whom we soon became acquainted on first name terms. No trouble was spared by any of the reception staff on our behalf. We stayed on two separate nights. On the second occasion, the receptionist was only too happy to provide a few post codes for our car's satellite navigation. She also volunteered suggestions about some of the places we planned to see. Ken also was very happy to come up to get our TV "fixed" - even though there was nothing amiss with it, as I had failed to see the button on the side of the set.

I was interested to hear his angle on the Liverpool of today, after having spent 4 years there as a student at Liverpool University some four decades ago. The staff had TIME and took TROUBLE over their guests. I found this a refreshing change from the normally more aloof and formal approach taken by hotel staff in the south of England.

Food was of fine quality; I had a superb Eggs Benedict just before leaving for the Belfast ferry. Nonetheless, I got the feeling that the restaurant staff were very young and perhaps under-trained. Common sense would dictate that used dishes should be lifted away before the next breakfast course arrives. However, we had to put these on one of the adjoining tables to help the waitress out. I also got the feeling that staff were doubling up in some of their jobs, e.g. reception and cleaning. There seemed to be very few guests around on both occasions when we had the overnight stay. Both were midweek however, so this may account for it to some extent. The waitress informed us that the hotel is a grade 3 listed building, having been a bank in its former incarnation. It is a lovely hotel and very convenient to the many activities available at the Pier Head and Albert Dock. What a pity if it were not to thrive - especially with such dedicated staff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

62 Castle is a pleasant surprise. It is in a very grand building right in the middle of Liverpool. Our room was huge with a very high ceiling and air conditioning. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the location is perfect. The only quibble we had was that the restaurant and bar weren't open when we were there but that only encouraged us to head off into town and find somewhere else, of which there are plenty in Liverpool!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and will definitely be returning. Huge room (master suite - I would recommend paying the extra for this!), beautiful original features and all mod cons. A tasteful mix of old and new. The location is fantastic and the hotel was surprisingly peaceful despite it's central location.

I was very impressed by the attention provided by Linda in reservations who arranged an ice bucket and champagne flutes in time for our arrival. I also requested a nicer room as it was a special occasion and the room did not disappoint. All in all, a fab time and will book again very soon!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple