“Delusions of grandeur”

Ranked #54 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
North Wales
“Delusions of grandeur”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Had high expectations of this hotel, website looks impressive and reviews mostly favourable. Unfortunately, these seem to be off the mark. Location wise, this is very convenient for the city centre, although you would be pushed to find a parking spot to unload your luggage in front of the hotel and you may well need to park your car at the Q park in Liverpool 1, then walk around 5 mins to the hotel. First impressions were good, loved the style of the building from the outside which apparently used to be a bank. I have stayed at a few hotels in Liverpool and prefer those with a little character which was why I chose 62 Castle St for my stay in the city this time. It all went downhill at check in, the member of staff was polite enough but did not offer any information about the amenities of the hotel, no mention of the restaurant, bar, breakfast was not offered and she did seem disinterested. Had booked through Lastminute.com and we paid £59.50 for a suite, which seemed a good price as rooms on the website are around £90 a night. The first room we were allocated was roomy but tired looking-water/damp stains on the ceiling and terrible grouting around the bath-not what you'd expect of a quality boutique hotel. Worst of all the aircon wasn't working and as the windows did not open there was no ventilation, place was like an oven. After 2 phonecalls to reception the maintenance guy arrived, couldn't fix it so we asked for another room. Our 2nd room was similar, large, clean but we had a restaurant reservation so got changed quickly and left for the evening. Upon our return we had a chance to have a proper look at the room which in all fairness was looking a little tired. The bathroom was the worst - terrible uneven tiles on the floor, ridiculously low shower head which would make showering very difficult if you were over 5'9!! basin cold water tap randomly went lukewarm, not ideal for brushing your teeth. No mini bar. No point in advertising the Egyptian cotton sheets if the pillows are flat hard hollowfibre ones. In the morning I could not wait to leave, mentioned the tap situation to the receptionist and left (she did not ask how our stay had been, but apologised for the lukewarm cold tap water).
To conclude, there are a few maintenance issues which I don't understand why the hotel doesn't address, no one likes to see damp patches on the ceiling of their hotel room, doesn't matter how old or rustic the hotel is. It has such potential to be a cracking hotel, but is currently way off the mark. Would I stay again? Not when there are plenty of hotels in the city for the same price or cheaper - the Premier Inn at Liverpool 1 is miles better than this. On a positive note, the night porter seems a cracking guy, maybe he should be training the rest of the staff.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We booked this as a treat and after checking in at 2pm, I was delighted with the room (307) After the Exec suite at the Hilton, this is the 2nd best room we have had and for a cost of £68 for the night this was a real bargain. I loved the space in the room with the added bonus of a music player and phone charger. Bathroom was very modern and clean as was the bedroom. I would recommend this hotel to any friends wanting a hotel in Liverpool. Check in/out was easy. We didn't drink in the bar but I have visited the bar many times and can confirm this is very tastefully decorated and attracts the "right" type of people. Seagulls were noisy in the morning as was the emptying of the bottle banks but I would expect this at any central located hotel. Excellent locations for bars with live entertainment, shopping, docks etc

Liverpool
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We visited 62 Castle Street for an overnight stay on the 29th August 2013 to have a night out in fabulous Liverpool.
The hotel is superbly located in the heart of the city with easy access to all Liverpool's many attractions.
The price of the hotel was very reasonable and is substantially better value than some of the more well known hotels in the city.
The check in was quick efficient and the staff very helpful taking us to room 301 a executive double which was very stylish and quite a size, the bed and pillows were very comfortable and the bathroom was also very tasteful, the room was clean and had everything you would expect from a hotel.
Breakfast was brought to the room for a small charge and was excellent,
The only thing I could have a moan about was the lack of robes which I think should be in all quality hotels.
All in all a great hotel and excellent value in a great location, will visit again.

1 Thank LesPanther
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I cannot say enough about this hotel, it was beautiful. The room was exceptional and the staff could not do enough for us. From arriving to leaving we felt welcomed, the staff gave very good advice on places to visit and things to do and see. I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique and exceptional.
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The hotel room was lovely- spacious, clean and comfortable. What let this hotel down was the general attitude of most of the staff... Not really very welcoming or willing to help, instead responding to my requests with a rather pessimistic attitude, for example when I rang to request breakfast be brought to my room (via my own mobile phone as the hotel phones were not working) I was abruptly told 'but there'll be a £3.50 plate charge...' My breakfast was then delivered without any toast, coffee, or fruit as I'd requested.

Later that evening I requested for the value of one of my meals in the restaurant, which was already included with my stay, be exchanged for drinks as I was dining alone (a £25 value). The waiting staff agreed to check for me and then told me all the restaurant manager could offer was a £6.50 Bellini cocktail. I ordered a few drinks and had the restaurant manager chase me (very embarrasing!) as I left the restaurant to return to my room, to check I had settled my bill reiterating that 'only one cocktail was included' with my meal.

I was also supposed to have a bottle of champagne in the room on arrival, however what I was given was actually a bottle of prosecco. I'm not a snob in any way but when you get told you're going to specifically get 'champagne' that's what you expect.

The general feeling i had was that the hotel was somehow doing me a favour by letting me stay there and I should have simply been grateful for having the privelege of staying at Castle Street.

My recent stay was two nights, in the grande suite with dinner, bed and breakfast for two people- which was given as compensation in december when Castle Street had emailed me to cancel my booking the day before we were booked to stay for my birthday- at this time i received several emails from the hotel in the two days leading up to my stay to tell me the hotel would be noisy, with no restaurant or bar access as there was a wedding, all of which i said would be no problem, but on the day of our arrival we were told we could not have our room because there had been a leak from a burst pipe! So having been messed around with that I was expecting a little more effort this time around to make me feel welcome and looked after. This was sadly not the case- especially with the stingy provision of prosecco instead of champagne in the room and the poor offer of a single cocktail to substitute the value of a 3 course meal.

Apart from two of the bar staff who were warm and friendly, the rest of the staff seemed only focused on being as miserly as possible with a negative attitude and/ or unwillingness to help with any requests or queries without giving the impression that it was a huge effort for them to deal with.

Additionally, the shower in my room did not drain away and I told reception, but this was not resolved and flooded on both mornings. The air con in the room made a terrible noise every 15-20 mins so it kept waking me up and I had to switch it off- so the room was incredibly warm.

My overall experience of this hotel was poor, mainly based on the general attitude of the staff, on both occasions, in December and this month. Customer service does not appear to be a priority and for this reason I will not be going back and will not be recommending Castle Street.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank rachelraindrop
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stayed in this hotel last week and found the experience really interesting. As a boutique hotel the rooms were very different, large, with high ceilings and high spec furniture. The bed in my room was large and very comfortable, the bathroom was well equipped. The staff at reception and on nights were very friendly and helpful. Bar staff were also "good crack". Good senses of humour all round.

One niggle - Breakfast started at 7 and we had to leave by taxi on both mornings by 7.30. Even though we were prompt at start of breakfast the first day the cooked meal was not serve until 7.25. We tried to get this fixed for day two but disappointingly without significant improvement.

All in all, if back on business I'd look forward to staying in this hotel as it is centrally placed for the Docks, Liverpool One and local pubs and restaurants. Might even forgo the pleasures of the very good premier inn nearby if down with family

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the first time at the end of July 2013, got upgraded to the Executive Double from a Standard Room. Well when we walked in we were so shocked at how big the room was, really nice and so pleased!! The bed so so comfortable and the bathroom was fabulous. I definitely recommend and will be staying again on my next trip to Liverpool.

• Stayed July 2013