Had high expectations of this hotel, website looks impressive and reviews mostly favourable. Unfortunately, these seem to be off the mark. Location wise, this is very convenient for the city centre, although you would be pushed to find a parking spot to unload your luggage in front of the hotel and you may well need to park your car at the Q park in Liverpool 1, then walk around 5 mins to the hotel. First impressions were good, loved the style of the building from the outside which apparently used to be a bank. I have stayed at a few hotels in Liverpool and prefer those with a little character which was why I chose 62 Castle St for my stay in the city this time. It all went downhill at check in, the member of staff was polite enough but did not offer any information about the amenities of the hotel, no mention of the restaurant, bar, breakfast was not offered and she did seem disinterested. Had booked through Lastminute.com and we paid £59.50 for a suite, which seemed a good price as rooms on the website are around £90 a night. The first room we were allocated was roomy but tired looking-water/damp stains on the ceiling and terrible grouting around the bath-not what you'd expect of a quality boutique hotel. Worst of all the aircon wasn't working and as the windows did not open there was no ventilation, place was like an oven. After 2 phonecalls to reception the maintenance guy arrived, couldn't fix it so we asked for another room. Our 2nd room was similar, large, clean but we had a restaurant reservation so got changed quickly and left for the evening. Upon our return we had a chance to have a proper look at the room which in all fairness was looking a little tired. The bathroom was the worst - terrible uneven tiles on the floor, ridiculously low shower head which would make showering very difficult if you were over 5'9!! basin cold water tap randomly went lukewarm, not ideal for brushing your teeth. No mini bar. No point in advertising the Egyptian cotton sheets if the pillows are flat hard hollowfibre ones. In the morning I could not wait to leave, mentioned the tap situation to the receptionist and left (she did not ask how our stay had been, but apologised for the lukewarm cold tap water).
To conclude, there are a few maintenance issues which I don't understand why the hotel doesn't address, no one likes to see damp patches on the ceiling of their hotel room, doesn't matter how old or rustic the hotel is. It has such potential to be a cracking hotel, but is currently way off the mark. Would I stay again? Not when there are plenty of hotels in the city for the same price or cheaper - the Premier Inn at Liverpool 1 is miles better than this. On a positive note, the night porter seems a cracking guy, maybe he should be training the rest of the staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 62 Castle Street is a 4 star hotel in the heart of the City Centre. 62 Castle Street is a Grade II listed building which was built in 1868. The luxurious hideaway of 62 Castle St is more than just an exclusive hotel. The original site was known as "The Old Bank" although, dramatically transformed in 1985 the building has maintained its unique features including, the main staircase, huge marble pillars and stunning high decorated ceilings, not forgetting the old bank vaults, which still remain intact to this day! The 4 star hotel offers 20 individually designed Suites offering guests high quality and spacious rooms. All rooms have King-size beds, a lounge area with sofas or lounge chairs and a flatscreen LCD TV. All rooms have two phones in the room, and are equipped with a desk for working or used as a dressing table. The large stylish rooms include modern en-suite bathrooms with powerful drench showers and some with Baths and all luxury toiletries. The rooms have an amazing full Length leaner mirror which is a main feature in the rooms. The rooms are even large enough to unwind and do Yoga. Some rooms have Juliet balcony doors which flood the room with natural light. 62 Castle St Hotel does not have its own restaurant/bar, however we are in the heart of the city centre and our team have a wide knowledge of the best places to dine. Whether you are coming to Liverpool 1 for a shopping extravaganza or experiencing the excitement of the Beatles phenomena or simply visiting for business, the hotel is within easy reach of everything Liverpool has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LateRooms, Odigeo, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your 62 Castle Street reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 62 Castle Street Hotel Liverpool
- 62 Castle St Liverpool
- 62 Castle St Hotel Liverpool