“Don't expect a 5* hotel for a 3* price”
Review of 62 Castle Street

62 Castle Street
Ranked #53 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Having booked the hotel some weeks ago after reading some good reviews I went this weekend with some concern after reading some poor reviews.

Areas where it could be improved - the rooms lack decent lighting; my tv didn't work and I had to ask twice for someone to look at it; the shower had a permanent drip but this was only annoying if you were in the bath; you do get city centre noise but that's because the windows aren't double glazed (its an old building)

Good points - excellent city centre location; we had a dinner bed and breakfast deal on the first night and that was excellent value; large rooms with lots of character; big bath towels.

None of the areas above would stop me staying again and overall we had a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top (3rd floor) as they will be quieter. Park at the QPark opposite Albert Do...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank devontourers

Reviewed 27 September 2013

I booked this hotel as it was near to the office I was working at that day, and as a lone traveller I didn't want to travel far for a hotel

The bar area looked nice, the reception was a bit basic but the receptionist was helpful enough.

The rooms are a good size and look quite impressive in first view. Loom closer and the walls are cracked, the lighting isn't too great and the bathroom floor had massive chunks of grouting missing which was uncomfortable if you walk around bare foot.

I had researched the hotel as I prefer Room Service than eating in a restaurant alone. However room service finished at 3pm!!!!! i had to go out alone to find some food which I wasn't happy about.

It appears the restaurant is closed 3 pr 4 nights per week, so no food was available either in room, or in the dining room

Breakfast was ok ( I found my myself checking it was available even though I paid in advance for it). Friendly waitress at breakfast who provided good service

The tea tea in the room had 1 breakfast tea bag. The kettle has to be filled in the bath as the tap is so low in the basin that it is only 1 1/2 inches from the pug and you couldn't get the kettle under it

The room I fond was noisy first thing in the morning. I think this is because the large patio style doors didn't seem to close properly

I don't think I would stay he again. There are cheaper hotels, with better services in the area

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Amanda C
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Good bits: comfortable bed, spacious room with several choices of where to sit, decent location.

Bad bits: indifferent breakfast in a freezing cold restaurant that they clearly weren't ready to serve on the dot of 8am on Sunday morning, despite saying they serve 8-10, the lethal steps down from the bed to the bathroom, the nasty blue nightlight, being in the middle of some one else's wedding (it's quite a small hotel, so there was no getting away from it), a silly sink tap that's about an inch from the bottom of the basin so you have to fill the kettle from the bath tap, the bathroom generally was tired and needed to be redecorated.

Really bad bit: they charged us three times, at the higher of the two rates we'd booked at, for a two night stay! It did get sorted out in the end, but it took about half a dozen insistent phone calls and several days. What made me cross is that they never said "sorry", but gave us a lot of guff about how it couldn't be refunded until they "understood what had happened", and then blamed it on the machine. It may well be that that is true, but the case remains that they took nearly £300 that they shouldn't have, and words to the effect of "we apologise for the inconvenience caused'" would have gone a long way!

I find it interesting that someone else who stayed at the same time was also over-charged, so this looks like a pattern… Make sure you check your credit card statement after you leave.

Room Tip: If you are liable to get up in the middle of the night, do make sure to ask for one without internal...
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I booked this hotel for 2nights and paid £80 a night, after looking at pictures of the hotel I thought it was ideal for our anniversary. As I past my card to pre-pay the amount of £210 was put in, I asked why and was told it was incase we used the bar. Getting to our room I was still confused on why a hotel would take £50 incase I used the bar, surely it my decision if I use the bar and how much I spend after going down and asking again why the extra money had been taken they said it was incase we damaged the room....at what point or where on the site did it say I had to pay a deposit? I couldn't find anywhere that the hotel said that and in none of the conformation email did it state that fact either.
Wasn't a good start to the stay at all, at first look the room looked great, but at a closer look its nowhere near good enough for the price they charge. Stains on the carpet, holes in the walls, tv was slanted, the chairs looked like they had seen better days, shower was designed for a hobbit and the heat in the hotel was way to much. The day before we travelled I received an email telling us the restaurant was closed, so not breakfast, lunch or dinner was possible unless we left the hotel to another place. Going downstairs to the24hr front desk to ask where the ironing broad is kept I had to go and find someone as no one was manning the desk.
Checking out....I was asked for my card for payment and I told the lady I didn't know the £50 was to be taken as well as payment, I was told it was incase in I pay by another card or someone else has to pay....excuse me?!? Three different reasons for taken money I didn't know about, after being told it would be back in my bank that day, I'm still waiting 3days later for it to appear.

Did not enjoy our stay and hotel is not worth the money it charges at all.

1  Thank Gemma D
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

HI There, I am sorry you wrote this before you came and saw me. As I said to you when we met, I am sincerely sorry for the mix up over what you were told with regards to your pre-autorisation. It is common practice in hotels to pre-authorise for the amount of your stay along with a little extra for useage in the bar and restaurant, we are no different than the large chains. Again I did try and resolve the situation and have offered you a resolution that I know you are happy with. I am sorry you felt you need to write the above, but hopefully when you come back you will enjoy you stay a lot better than the previous one.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Had high expectations of this hotel, website looks impressive and reviews mostly favourable. Unfortunately, these seem to be off the mark. Location wise, this is very convenient for the city centre, although you would be pushed to find a parking spot to unload your luggage in front of the hotel and you may well need to park your car at the Q park in Liverpool 1, then walk around 5 mins to the hotel. First impressions were good, loved the style of the building from the outside which apparently used to be a bank. I have stayed at a few hotels in Liverpool and prefer those with a little character which was why I chose 62 Castle St for my stay in the city this time. It all went downhill at check in, the member of staff was polite enough but did not offer any information about the amenities of the hotel, no mention of the restaurant, bar, breakfast was not offered and she did seem disinterested. Had booked through Lastminute.com and we paid £59.50 for a suite, which seemed a good price as rooms on the website are around £90 a night. The first room we were allocated was roomy but tired looking-water/damp stains on the ceiling and terrible grouting around the bath-not what you'd expect of a quality boutique hotel. Worst of all the aircon wasn't working and as the windows did not open there was no ventilation, place was like an oven. After 2 phonecalls to reception the maintenance guy arrived, couldn't fix it so we asked for another room. Our 2nd room was similar, large, clean but we had a restaurant reservation so got changed quickly and left for the evening. Upon our return we had a chance to have a proper look at the room which in all fairness was looking a little tired. The bathroom was the worst - terrible uneven tiles on the floor, ridiculously low shower head which would make showering very difficult if you were over 5'9!! basin cold water tap randomly went lukewarm, not ideal for brushing your teeth. No mini bar. No point in advertising the Egyptian cotton sheets if the pillows are flat hard hollowfibre ones. In the morning I could not wait to leave, mentioned the tap situation to the receptionist and left (she did not ask how our stay had been, but apologised for the lukewarm cold tap water).
To conclude, there are a few maintenance issues which I don't understand why the hotel doesn't address, no one likes to see damp patches on the ceiling of their hotel room, doesn't matter how old or rustic the hotel is. It has such potential to be a cracking hotel, but is currently way off the mark. Would I stay again? Not when there are plenty of hotels in the city for the same price or cheaper - the Premier Inn at Liverpool 1 is miles better than this. On a positive note, the night porter seems a cracking guy, maybe he should be training the rest of the staff.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We booked this as a treat and after checking in at 2pm, I was delighted with the room (307) After the Exec suite at the Hilton, this is the 2nd best room we have had and for a cost of £68 for the night this was a real bargain. I loved the space in the room with the added bonus of a music player and phone charger. Bathroom was very modern and clean as was the bedroom. I would recommend this hotel to any friends wanting a hotel in Liverpool. Check in/out was easy. We didn't drink in the bar but I have visited the bar many times and can confirm this is very tastefully decorated and attracts the "right" type of people. Seagulls were noisy in the morning as was the emptying of the bottle banks but I would expect this at any central located hotel. Excellent locations for bars with live entertainment, shopping, docks etc

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We visited 62 Castle Street for an overnight stay on the 29th August 2013 to have a night out in fabulous Liverpool.
The hotel is superbly located in the heart of the city with easy access to all Liverpool's many attractions.
The price of the hotel was very reasonable and is substantially better value than some of the more well known hotels in the city.
The check in was quick efficient and the staff very helpful taking us to room 301 a executive double which was very stylish and quite a size, the bed and pillows were very comfortable and the bathroom was also very tasteful, the room was clean and had everything you would expect from a hotel.
Breakfast was brought to the room for a small charge and was excellent,
The only thing I could have a moan about was the lack of robes which I think should be in all quality hotels.
All in all a great hotel and excellent value in a great location, will visit again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple