“Anniversary”
Review of 62 Castle Street

62 Castle Street
Ranked #52 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We had a lovely romantic stay in this fab hotel for our wedding anniversary, great location and lovely hotel, this really is a hidden Gem in the heart of the city great stay and value for money, helpful staff really gorgeous boutique hotel

There are newer reviews for 62 Castle Street

Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We originally visited the hotel in October 2011 and thought it was that lovely we thought we would visit it for a 2nd time. The hotel location is perfect, a five minute (if that) walk away from L1 shopping centre & restaurants & also a short walk from the docks. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are lovely and spacious. We were however disappointed to learn that the hotels restaurant & bar was closing at 3pm therefore we weren't able to sample their food! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody travelling to Liverpool for a couple of days & I'm sure I will be returning again very soon.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I decided to have the night out in Liverpool, and booked this hotel at the last minute.
We have stayed before a couple of years ago.
As you arrive, you are redirected through the bar to get to reception. The receptionists sit behind a large low desk table and it is not the easiest way to check in.
Our room was on the top floor and very large, with a quite nice view.
I dare not look too closely at the carpet, which was stained and looked like it needed ripping up! On the corridors etc it just looked shabby and neglected. We have decided that although it is in a great location for Liverpool restaurants (San Carlo) that we will not go back until they do a re-furb!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Having booked the hotel some weeks ago after reading some good reviews I went this weekend with some concern after reading some poor reviews.

Areas where it could be improved - the rooms lack decent lighting; my tv didn't work and I had to ask twice for someone to look at it; the shower had a permanent drip but this was only annoying if you were in the bath; you do get city centre noise but that's because the windows aren't double glazed (its an old building)

Good points - excellent city centre location; we had a dinner bed and breakfast deal on the first night and that was excellent value; large rooms with lots of character; big bath towels.

None of the areas above would stop me staying again and overall we had a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top (3rd floor) as they will be quieter. Park at the QPark opposite Albert Do...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank devontourers
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I booked this hotel as it was near to the office I was working at that day, and as a lone traveller I didn't want to travel far for a hotel

The bar area looked nice, the reception was a bit basic but the receptionist was helpful enough.

The rooms are a good size and look quite impressive in first view. Loom closer and the walls are cracked, the lighting isn't too great and the bathroom floor had massive chunks of grouting missing which was uncomfortable if you walk around bare foot.

I had researched the hotel as I prefer Room Service than eating in a restaurant alone. However room service finished at 3pm!!!!! i had to go out alone to find some food which I wasn't happy about.

It appears the restaurant is closed 3 pr 4 nights per week, so no food was available either in room, or in the dining room

Breakfast was ok ( I found my myself checking it was available even though I paid in advance for it). Friendly waitress at breakfast who provided good service

The tea tea in the room had 1 breakfast tea bag. The kettle has to be filled in the bath as the tap is so low in the basin that it is only 1 1/2 inches from the pug and you couldn't get the kettle under it

The room I fond was noisy first thing in the morning. I think this is because the large patio style doors didn't seem to close properly

I don't think I would stay he again. There are cheaper hotels, with better services in the area

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Amanda C
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Good bits: comfortable bed, spacious room with several choices of where to sit, decent location.

Bad bits: indifferent breakfast in a freezing cold restaurant that they clearly weren't ready to serve on the dot of 8am on Sunday morning, despite saying they serve 8-10, the lethal steps down from the bed to the bathroom, the nasty blue nightlight, being in the middle of some one else's wedding (it's quite a small hotel, so there was no getting away from it), a silly sink tap that's about an inch from the bottom of the basin so you have to fill the kettle from the bath tap, the bathroom generally was tired and needed to be redecorated.

Really bad bit: they charged us three times, at the higher of the two rates we'd booked at, for a two night stay! It did get sorted out in the end, but it took about half a dozen insistent phone calls and several days. What made me cross is that they never said "sorry", but gave us a lot of guff about how it couldn't be refunded until they "understood what had happened", and then blamed it on the machine. It may well be that that is true, but the case remains that they took nearly £300 that they shouldn't have, and words to the effect of "we apologise for the inconvenience caused'" would have gone a long way!

I find it interesting that someone else who stayed at the same time was also over-charged, so this looks like a pattern… Make sure you check your credit card statement after you leave.

Room Tip: If you are liable to get up in the middle of the night, do make sure to ask for one without internal...
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I booked this hotel for 2nights and paid £80 a night, after looking at pictures of the hotel I thought it was ideal for our anniversary. As I past my card to pre-pay the amount of £210 was put in, I asked why and was told it was incase we used the bar. Getting to our room I was still confused on why a hotel would take £50 incase I used the bar, surely it my decision if I use the bar and how much I spend after going down and asking again why the extra money had been taken they said it was incase we damaged the room....at what point or where on the site did it say I had to pay a deposit? I couldn't find anywhere that the hotel said that and in none of the conformation email did it state that fact either.
Wasn't a good start to the stay at all, at first look the room looked great, but at a closer look its nowhere near good enough for the price they charge. Stains on the carpet, holes in the walls, tv was slanted, the chairs looked like they had seen better days, shower was designed for a hobbit and the heat in the hotel was way to much. The day before we travelled I received an email telling us the restaurant was closed, so not breakfast, lunch or dinner was possible unless we left the hotel to another place. Going downstairs to the24hr front desk to ask where the ironing broad is kept I had to go and find someone as no one was manning the desk.
Checking out....I was asked for my card for payment and I told the lady I didn't know the £50 was to be taken as well as payment, I was told it was incase in I pay by another card or someone else has to pay....excuse me?!? Three different reasons for taken money I didn't know about, after being told it would be back in my bank that day, I'm still waiting 3days later for it to appear.

Did not enjoy our stay and hotel is not worth the money it charges at all.

1  Thank Gemma D
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

HI There, I am sorry you wrote this before you came and saw me. As I said to you when we met, I am sincerely sorry for the mix up over what you were told with regards to your pre-autorisation. It is common practice in hotels to pre-authorise for the amount of your stay along with a little extra for useage in the bar and restaurant, we are no different than the large chains. Again I did try and resolve the situation and have offered you a resolution that I know you are happy with. I am sorry you felt you need to write the above, but hopefully when you come back you will enjoy you stay a lot better than the previous one.