“Birthday”
Review of 62 Castle Street

62 Castle Street
Ranked #56 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Without doubt the best part of the birthday weekend the hotel was an amazing place to stay and the eggs Benedict for breakfast was delicious if you haven't already been it's well worth a visit it's close to all the sights of the city and a short walk from the centre and docks

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James E

Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is the first time I have felt the need to write a review. In summary:
1. The reception was impressive and the welcome was warm and efficient.
2. The room was split-level, large, clean and stylish. Very boutique and not your typical hotel box.
3. The breakfast in the restaurant was the best I have ever had at a hotel. I kid you not.
Truly a surprising pleasure!
This is now the only place I will stay in Liverpool. Don't waste your money going to one of the large, chain hotels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sophie M
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I stay here one or two nights of the week and I'm always impressed by the warm welcome from the reception staff and the night porter. They always give me my favourite room for which I'm grateful the windows are either open if it's warm or the air con is on waiting for me.
The place is quirky you can't get your hands or the kettle under the tap in the bathroom!
Whenever there's been a bulb out or an issue it's fixed on my return.
The bed is so comfortable and the linen is lovely big fluffy towels too.
I am disappointed that due to a booking error this week I was charged for a no show when we put so much business to the hotel with myself and others who stay on a regular basis.
The new restaurant which doesn't belong to the hotel is improving although the tapas bar opposite is better value, better good and better service.
Breakfast is ok although when in the hotel it was better.
Overall I like the warmth of the staff and my room is lovely.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Arrived at this hotel on the 24th May for a one night stay for my partners birthday (thank God it was only a one night stay).
When we arrived at the hotel we were very impressed by the décor of the reception and were hoping this standard was carried on to the rooms. At first glance the rooms look nice and are large. However at closer inspection this was not the case. We understand that the hotel is situated in an old building so were fine with a few cracks in the walls ect. However paint was flaking away, cupboards and draws were very old and used, the bath was broken and covered in limescale and there were cigarette stumps on our balcony.
However, not one to normally complain, we decided to over look these faults and go out and celebrate my partners birthday. We went to a restaurant called Savina (great food!) and enjoyed a few cocktails and arrived back at the hotel quite late. However we were aware that we did not have to check out until 11am so was not worried about lack of sleep.
However what the hotel had failed to inform us was that in the City there was a "Rock and Roll Run" taking place on the morning of the 25th May. This run included a live stage being set up just yards from the hotel which began playing live rock music at 6am in the morning. Although I understand that this disturbance could not have been avoided I believe it is the Hotels responsibility to email guests before arriving warning them of events that could effect their sleep. I have stayed at hotels before that have emailed me to let me know that building work was going on near by and this may be a disturbance. The manager of 62 Castle Street should have done the same.
When we checked out we informed that receptionist we would like to make a complaint and she informed us that the manager was very aware that the Rock and Roll Run was taking place but had not bothered to inform any of the guests because she was on holiday.
When I arrived home I emailed the manager to let her know of our disappointment with the hotel (which cost £165 a night!!!!). She argued back with me on numerous points and wrote that it would be impossible for her to email guests as "we would be inundating our guests with emails". I for one would rather receive an email rather than being woken up at 6am. The manager offered myself and my partner a discounted rate if we were willing to return to the hotel. I found this offer absolutely ridiculous as I think it is very rude to ask guests to pay more money to a hotel that they were not happy with on out first visit. I replied to managed stating that a more suitable response would be to offer us a free night or a 50% refund for this outstandingly overpriced room. Elaine (the manager) instead decided to ignorantly ignore my message.

Overall this hotel has been the worst I have ever stayed in. For £165 a night I feel like I have been robbed for my money. This hotel is no means 4* and most defiantly not "boutique".

Better hotels in Liverpool include:
Heywood House
Hope Street Hotel
Premier Inn
Signature Living

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Reena48
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to email me and also sharing your experience here at 62 Castle St. Firstly I would like to confirm that the shower seal on the bottom of the shower screen had split and has since been replaced, the bath was not broken and the bath panel had slipped its position from under the side of the bath and has since been pushed back into place. I can confirm that I knew that the Liverpool Marathon was on the weekend you were at the hotel but I was not aware of any stage being set up in Derby Square, this was not in the marketing literature that we were sent from the organisers. Liverpool is a very busy city and we try and put all the events etc going on on our Facebook page and Twitter to let our guests know, as I have said in your response, to send an email to every guest for every event would be intrusive and I could not send an email about something I knew nothing about. I replied to your email on my return from annual leave explaining this to you. I know that you wanted a full refund but as a gesture of goodwill I did invite you to return to the hotel.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are just back from Liverpool. Having read some of the reviews, I was worried about staying, but no, It's a beautiful hotel, friendly staff, central location. Room was so spacious, bathroom large and clean, will def be back!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorraine M

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at 62 Castle St. Myself and the team are delighted that we were able to make your stay with us and your time here in Liverpool so enjoyable. Please return back again soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We've just come back from an overnight stay in this hotel. It is in an excellent location within walking distance of all the amenities we wanted to visit. Our room was lovely-very spacious, spotlessly clean and with a wonderfully comfortable bed. The building is fantastic-it's so nice to stay in a characterful place rather than a bland modern box. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Castle62, General Manager at 62 Castle Street, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay with us here at 62 Castle St, we are working on adding further images to our website to show our guests the fabulous building they are coming to, we are very proud to be situated on one of Liverpool's most historic streets as one of the many beautiful buildings. I will pass on your lovely comments on the cleanliness of the rooms to the team in the background, the housekeepers as they don't always see the guests and hear the positive feedback on their hard work. Please don't take too long to come back for another visit.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stopped by this restaurant on impulse and am glad I did. It used to be a bank and the restoration of the ornate decor is just the right mix of old and new. Blackened catfish with salsa was fresh, tender and tasty. Apple tart with salted caramel the perfect finish. Service attentive but not intrusive. (Signed) Canadian tourist

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo