“Beautiful hotel, fantastic location.”

30 James Street, Home of the Titanic
Ranked #5 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
“Beautiful hotel, fantastic location.”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

About 20 of us stayed here as my son and daughter in laws wedding reception was literally a 2 minute walk away. So convenient for the city centre, and such a beautiful hotel. Managed to see a few rooms with so many of us staying there and they were all fabulous. The staff even reserved breakfast tables for us all for the next morning. Such a welcoming hotel, already thinking about booking again.

• Stayed July 2014
30JSt, Front Office Manager at 30 James Street, Home of the Titanic, responded to this review, 15 March 2015
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your 5 star review of 30 James Street - Home of the Titanic.

Your kind words regarding our facilities and staff are very much appreciated and on behalf of myself and all the team we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Arabic first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel because it seemed to offer something different to the other city centre girls in Liverpool. It promised a touch of luxury and a sense of history but in reality it felt very much like a work in progress. Exactly who this hotel is aimed at is not clear either, hen parties, families, business travelers?

On arrival we were checked in no problem and found our room on the bizarrely dark first floor and this was were the strangeness began. No toiletries, no flannels and only two coat hangers. This meant we couldn't freshen up and unpack properly without a trip to the supermarket!

The room had a fully kitted out kitchen, but no dressing table! The wardrobe was positioned so as to make access to the bathroom quite awkward. Very strange.

The tv was mounted at 90° to BOTH double beds making it was difficult to see from either. Why there were two double beds is anyone's guess.

Our booking for dinner in the hotel restaurant was missing, as was a message about a flower delivery. The towels delivered in the morning to the hotel were piled up the main lobby as were bags of dirty laundry.

The breakfast was embarrassingly bad and served (our not served as was buffet style) in a room meant for large functions so we ate at a table for 8 people. Again, weird.

All in all not good. I would not be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Liverpool. Maybe, if it is still going in 18 months we'd look back, but it needs some cohesive vision.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dominhk
Paul E, General Manager at 30 James Street, Home of the Titanic, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear dominhk

Thank you so much for your feedback, I'm sorry to learn of this feedback in particular the room configurations and the breakfast aspect, we are phased opening and due to this we temporarily used our function space whilst our restaurant was being finished.

I would love the opportunity to discuss this with you further, if you could call me 07500 963 749 that would be fantastic or alternatively email me on paulegan@rmstitanichotel.co.uk

Thank You and I look forward to speaking to you soon

Paul Egan
30 James Street
Liverpool
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed in the Broadway suite on a Monday night (Stay in the week if you can as it's a lot cheaper!) The room was massive with 2 double beds, 2 large sofas and a dining table for 4. Smart tv as well with a good sized kitchen with a microwave, toaster & fridge. The best thing about the room was the bathroom which had a huge jacuzzi bath in - only snag was to turn it on you had to move one of the massive sofa's away from the wall to get to the switch which no-one would ever work out for themselves so we had to ring reception, but they came and showed us straight away. The cold water pressure into the bath and shower was very intermittent which also affected the temperature but I think these are just small teething problems due to how new the hotel is - needs sorting though!

We also went to the Carpathia bar which was amazing - great views of the city, drinks no more expensive than any other nice bar in town which was good. Only other negatives were no room service and no welcome pack / instructions on how to use the appliances / how to use the phone etc and nothing about how to get around the city if you needed it.

Overall though this is an amazing hotel, well worth what we paid and a great addition to Liverpool City Centre!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the waterfront if possible
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your 5 star review of 30 James Street - Home of the Titanic.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My friends and I are local but decided to book a "Junior Suite" here so we wouldn't have to bother with taxis after coming out for a friend's leaving 'do'. The price of just £62.00 (this was a Monday night) for the suite, which sleeps 4 people, was a big draw, and it meant that at least one of us could then just walk to work in the morning.

We were given the "Carpathia" suite, which happened to be the one featured on the website. It's a little squashed for the 2 double beds, which face each other with a couple of feet to separate them, but although a suite it definitely wasn't, it was nevertheless a nicely decorated room, with lots of faux-gilt furniture, nice thick blackout curtains and ornate - if obviously budget - mirrors and wallpaper.

Attention to detail was a bit lacking, in that some fixtures and fittings were poorly fitted, and there were a couple of stains on the bedding (candle wax, I think...or HOPE!), but generally the 'vibe' of the room was nice and befitting for the Edwardian Titanic theme of the hotel.

The bathroom was large, with an enormous jacuzzi bath which (a bit worryingly) looked liked it had been designed to take 4 people. We're close friends, but we're not that close quite yet. There was a shower head built into the ceiling above the bath, which looked great, but it wasn't suitable for those of us who didn't want to get their hair wet that particular morning - like me. Also, there were only two sets of towels, when the booking was clearly for three people.

The beds, however, are FANTASTICALLY comfortable. I get back problems, so was worried about the softness, but I completely lost myself in the lush mattress and the pillows were fabulous. Top marks for such wonderful beds! And the air con, brilliant!! We may only get 2 hot days a year, but a cool bedroom is essential for a good night's sleep, and they were on the ball with this.

Our two main gripes were:
a) The hotel bar shuts at 11.30pm. OK, so it was a week day, but as seasoned travellers, we expected the bar to be open as long as there were residents wanting a drink. When we arrived, hoping for a nightcap, at around 11.45pm, there were plenty of people finishing drinks (and who, I'm guessing, would have been happy to have another), but we were told the bar had shut. So we went on the hunt for some carry outs, but every single mini-supermarket was shut, and we really couldn't be bothered trawling to Mathew Street just for one more bevy. This is where they'd make a killing on mini bars, surely?

b) Breakfast. Continental is included in the price, which is great (there is no cooked option at all). However, as impressive a venue as the grand ballroom (I think) is, I really don't want to sit down with my cereal as music blares out from a sound system behind the bar. It was bizarre. It's breakfast, not karaoke! If there is to be music at all, it should surely be something in keeping with the hotel theme - classical, maybe, or just something gentle to start our day off with. It was simply TOO NOISY! Also, a continental breakfast should surely include cheese and ham for the toast? I'm a hater of jam, so the only other thing to put on my toast was butter. I did ask the well-dressed girl behind the counter, but the poor love just shrugged as though she had no clue what breakfast was. Finally, as an ex-waitress of many years standing, please, NEVER clear a table while diners are still eating. No sooner had I popped a crust into my mouth, than someone was whisking my plate away, while I still had cereal and coffee to go. No, no, no, no....it's the height of rudeness, please don't do it.

This is a magnificent building and, despite the obvious catering for stag/hen parties, the atmosphere is very refined, classical almost, and there's plenty to admire about the decor and what they've tried to do with it, even if things like lift button panels which don't sit flush with the cushioned walls, make it look a little haphazard and shoddy in places.

I'd be interested to come back and stay in, say, a year's time, to see what changes, if any, have been made, but there's a LOT of promise to be had here and at least they're trying to be different, which is always good to see. I'd definitely recommend to friends and family, despite the criticisms. The price alone, for a 4-berth city centre room, alone, is very hard to beat.

Room Tip: Try and get a front-facing room for unrivalled views of the Liverpool waterfront.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sarahdeane
Paul E, General Manager at 30 James Street, Home of the Titanic, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Hi There

Thank you so much for your feedback, please can I ask that you contact me to discuss this further as I need a bit more detail to investigate for you so I can rectify this and come back to you to ensure this is resolved you are left satisfied.

My mobile number is 07500 963 749 or you can get me at paulegan@rmstitanichotel.co.uk

Paul Egan
30 James Street
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed for two night the room was enormous !! Very relaxing and well presented , went up to the bar/restaurant on the 7th floor blew me away the most amazing views. What makes it more amazing was,I was told, the building was stood empty for 30 years and has been refurbished over six months! Totally recommend it great hotel and location.

Room Tip: They are all superb but the first floor is very black!! I have only saw my room on the 5 th floor an...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve G
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review of 30 James Street - Home Of The Titanic

Both the staff and myself are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We do endeavour to make our guest experience with us the best possible experience that it can be.

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here for one night and had a lovely suite with a balcony which had great views of the waterfront. The room was very nice however the wet-room was a nightmare. When you shower the water floods the bathroom and seeps onto the bedroom carpet. I had to use all our towels to mop it up. There was no mirror in the bathroom so not good for the gents who want to wet shave. There were no drinking glasses provided either. On a more positive note the staff were very pleasant and helpful. There is building work going on but this did not spoil our stay at all. Everyone we encountered was courteous. The view from the rooftop bar was brilliant we did not eat in the hotel which I am glad about. When we were paying our bar bill in the rooftop restaurant there was a Faulty Towers kind of episode going on with the chefs and waiters taking meals from a mobile heated cabinet and putting sauces on them using the small bar tables to work from. then Handing them on to a waiter with instructions on how long to put in the microwave. It was quite funny actually. I am sure when all the little details have been attended to this will be a wonderful hotel and I for one will definitely go back sometime in the future. I would recommend it and thanks to all the lovely staff.

Room Tip: We didn't have a waterfront facing room however ours was on the side with a balcony which gave g...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tootie191255
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your great review.

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I visited 30 James Street for the first time this month with my sister-in-law and will definitely be going back. We were immediately given a warm welcome from manager Paul Egan who showed us around the beautiful wedding reception room, complete with a Victorian sleigh, which overlooks the Three Graces.
Following this, we visited the Carpathia Champagne Bar which has a fabulous rooftop terrace- the views from here of the Liverpool waterfront are fabulous. We enjoyed their mixed platter and a couple of glasses of wine. Staff are very friendly and helpful.
The building itself is fabulous....the home of The Titanic...so much history. I'm so pleased that so much love and care is going back into it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family