“NOISE”

Ranked #70 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Wales, United Kingdom
“NOISE”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My wife and I, recently spent a Saturday night at the Childwall Abbey hotel and wished we had not.We never got to sleep until around 2 A.M. because of the noise.Now we realize that most hotels/pubs have functions on a Saturday night and can usually put up with it, but honestly and I promise I am not exaggerating. It was the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. There was obviously a function downstairs and the noise was ear splitting.I could actually feel the vibration right through the walls, floor and yes, the bed.
There was also mould under the desk, which could only be seen while laying in bed. The staff were very warm, helpful and friendly. The service was great and the food was tasty.It was an experience I don't wish to repeat.

Room Tip: When booking a room, ask if there is a function on.If there is, stay away or be ready for a sleeple...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 595richards595

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We picked the '' Old Abbey Hotel come pub'' because it was slightly cheaper than stopping in the city of Liverpool.. and what a lovely looking place it is .. Easy to find & in a quiet suberb of Liverpool.. our room No 2 was fairly large, en-suite, flat screen t.v.,tea making facilties..and very peaceful... being a chain pub the food menu was typical '' Chain pub grub''.. Service was slow
But not particularly busy!.. prices not bad ..but reasonable.
Breakfast was full English & Plentiful ... staff are very friendly & helpful although at times seem to be understaffed or just disappear ?
A great little hotel ... friendly... would stay here again.. Thanks..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wanderlust W
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I checked in last minute, although initially worried about the remote location of the hotel in case I didn’t like the ambience of the place I was pleasantly surprised. I checked in early afternoon and was dealt with rather smartly. The room was very clean and functional for a one night stay. I was reluctant to venture to the bar to watch football on TV, although I relented and took up position near the screen. I was dreading what was going to happen next (not just what German were going to do to us on the field) as I was advised that in the next room they were having an ‘Open Mic’ night. This I took to be some form of karaoke which I dreaded the thought of X-Factor wanabees whaling away till all hours keeping me awake in my bed. After watching the football (if it could be described as such) liquid consolation was needed. So I ventured into the adjoining room to have the said drink. The ‘Open Mic’ was a mixture of professional, semi professional and the aforementioned X-Factor Wanabees. It was very enjoyable, although some participants should not give up their day jobs, they were an entertaining crowd. Generally a young crowd, although there were a splattering of ‘more mature’ clientele, one lady of which shared my view on Joe Harts inability to converse with his back four!! Fully intending an early night I bedded down just after midnight. It was a good night, and despite the crowd the bar staff coped very well. Eventually waking long after I had requested my breakfast at, I was served a traditional English breakfast which was certainly needed energy wise, not waist line wise. I found the staff pleasant. The evening meal took too long to serve but once received was ok, but I would not consider the place as an eatery. It has functional food which was all I needed at the time. Considering the price, I found it very good. I had previously stayed at a Travel Lodge at the same price but no breakfast and kept up all night by guests coming and going. I will certainly use the Childwall Abbey Hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank JTA J
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Take a step into old England. Nice friendly pub with accomodation attached. House in an old Abbey in a quiet peaceful location it is stepped in atmosphere. Accomodation is clean and comfy and breakfast is traditional full English style served in bar. Evening meals, pub grup style, are good and not expensive. Staff friendly and very helpful - local knowledge in plenty.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 2frank2
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Have stayed now in the Abbey quite a few times as my daughter is in nearby university. Have always found the hotel to be excellent value both accommodation and food. The staff have always been friendly and helpful. This visit it was nice to see the hotel had been spruced up a bit both inside and out. An excellent hotel,food and staff. Keep up the good work Brian

Room Tip: Have only been in a couple of rooms but seven is the best (now the honeymoon suite) and well worth s...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Room was much bigger than anticipated and spotlessly clean. Was very surprised as didn't expect the rooms to be this nice. Little toiletries in the bathroom which is always a nice touch. Felt the staff let the place down, especially in the morning. Not at all friendly which is a shame. Felt like we were an inconvenience and it took ages for us to be able to hand the keys back and settle the bill. Would possibly stay here again, hopefully the staff will be chirpier next time

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We have used the family room twice for the four of us. The staff put a z bed in for our youngest and we find the room spacious and comfortable. Good cooked breakfasts and good location for us it is near our friends. It is a pub hotel with a few rooms and as such a good standard.

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liverpool
Hallmark Hotel Liverpool South
The Mountford Hotel
The Mountford Hotel
#20 of 97 in Liverpool
Sefton Park Hotel
Sefton Park Hotel
#67 of 97 in Liverpool

Been to Childwall Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!