“it's rooms above a pub...you get what you pay for”

and 1 more site!
Childwall Abbey Hotel
Ranked #68 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 19 May 2014

A nice building in a nice location but at the end of the day it's a pub with a few rooms above. The room was Ok for a one night stay with a reasonable bathroom. Bed and pillows were comfortable and bedding a towels clean though the room and bathroom had probably not had a thorough cleaning for a while. Friendly staff in the pub and a fairly standard chain pub grub menu.
Breakfast selection not very extensive but the cook part was very good. At the price, nothing to complain about that's for sure.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank upthemariners

Reviewed 5 April 2014

even though its a pub you don't get any noise in the rooms,bathrooms a good size,good quality pub food at reasonable prices every thing is good for a reasonable prices b&b we stayed on a Friday night and service and noise was no issue

Room Tip: just outside Liverpool city centre but so easy to get into liverpool not using the car.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Went for a family meal on Mother's Day - service is so so poor - had to ask for the table to be cleared as they would have served dessert while lunch plates were still out. Desserts came individually every 5 or so minutes. Prices ok but nobody seems to be in charge - wouldn't recommend if eating as a group. Toilets are grim too.

Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank Johnomc
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My wife and I, recently spent a Saturday night at the Childwall Abbey hotel and wished we had not.We never got to sleep until around 2 A.M. because of the noise.Now we realize that most hotels/pubs have functions on a Saturday night and can usually put up with it, but honestly and I promise I am not exaggerating. It was the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. There was obviously a function downstairs and the noise was ear splitting.I could actually feel the vibration right through the walls, floor and yes, the bed.
There was also mould under the desk, which could only be seen while laying in bed. The staff were very warm, helpful and friendly. The service was great and the food was tasty.It was an experience I don't wish to repeat.

Room Tip: When booking a room, ask if there is a function on.If there is, stay away or be ready for a sleeple...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 595richards595
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We picked the '' Old Abbey Hotel come pub'' because it was slightly cheaper than stopping in the city of Liverpool.. and what a lovely looking place it is .. Easy to find & in a quiet suberb of Liverpool.. our room No 2 was fairly large, en-suite, flat screen t.v.,tea making facilties..and very peaceful... being a chain pub the food menu was typical '' Chain pub grub''.. Service was slow
But not particularly busy!.. prices not bad ..but reasonable.
Breakfast was full English & Plentiful ... staff are very friendly & helpful although at times seem to be understaffed or just disappear ?
A great little hotel ... friendly... would stay here again.. Thanks..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wanderlust W
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I checked in last minute, although initially worried about the remote location of the hotel in case I didn’t like the ambience of the place I was pleasantly surprised. I checked in early afternoon and was dealt with rather smartly. The room was very clean and functional for a one night stay. I was reluctant to venture to the bar to watch football on TV, although I relented and took up position near the screen. I was dreading what was going to happen next (not just what German were going to do to us on the field) as I was advised that in the next room they were having an ‘Open Mic’ night. This I took to be some form of karaoke which I dreaded the thought of X-Factor wanabees whaling away till all hours keeping me awake in my bed. After watching the football (if it could be described as such) liquid consolation was needed. So I ventured into the adjoining room to have the said drink. The ‘Open Mic’ was a mixture of professional, semi professional and the aforementioned X-Factor Wanabees. It was very enjoyable, although some participants should not give up their day jobs, they were an entertaining crowd. Generally a young crowd, although there were a splattering of ‘more mature’ clientele, one lady of which shared my view on Joe Harts inability to converse with his back four!! Fully intending an early night I bedded down just after midnight. It was a good night, and despite the crowd the bar staff coped very well. Eventually waking long after I had requested my breakfast at, I was served a traditional English breakfast which was certainly needed energy wise, not waist line wise. I found the staff pleasant. The evening meal took too long to serve but once received was ok, but I would not consider the place as an eatery. It has functional food which was all I needed at the time. Considering the price, I found it very good. I had previously stayed at a Travel Lodge at the same price but no breakfast and kept up all night by guests coming and going. I will certainly use the Childwall Abbey Hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank JTA J
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Take a step into old England. Nice friendly pub with accomodation attached. House in an old Abbey in a quiet peaceful location it is stepped in atmosphere. Accomodation is clean and comfy and breakfast is traditional full English style served in bar. Evening meals, pub grup style, are good and not expensive. Staff friendly and very helpful - local knowledge in plenty.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business