“Brilliant Holiday”

Ranked #69 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Norfolk
“Brilliant Holiday”
Reviewed 10 July 2009

We picked this hotel from the internet and stayed for 4 nights whilst visiting the Liverpool area. The hotel is clean and comfortable and the food was good. The bus stop is just down the road so I didn't need my car to get around and saved a fortune in car parks. The buses are regular and go to all the places you'll want to visit , shops, docks, football grounds etc. The staff were all helpful and we would certainly stay there again on our next visit to Liverpool.

Dave from Norfolk

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
South Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights in May 2009. The room was clean and comfortable and breakfast and other meals were good. One night was a Saturday and unfortunately other guests were noisy returning to their rooms but this can happen at the best hotels.
Its a bit out of the city but the bus is not far away and it takes about 20min.
The pub itself is heavily timbered with dark carpet which makes a pleasant change from the need to modernise and spoil the character of old places.

• Stayed May 2009
Newcastle/Liverpool, England
Reviewed 7 April 2009

We (3 couples from Newcastle) stayed here for The Grand National weekend, so obviously it was very busy. The rooms were clean, beds comfortable and fresh, bathrooms modern with all the amenities one would expect to find in an expensive 4 star hotel. Some of the public areas need a lick of paint, but that's the only fault we could find during our stay. There's a lovely outdoor area to sit and have a drink, the full English breakfast was freshly cooked, and the staff were efficient and friendly. The hotel looks like a converted castle and is set in one of the loveliest areas of Liverpool. No idiots or teens in the bar and a very reasonable room rate including breakfast. We're booking to stay again next year.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank CliffMarsden
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed here while visiting family over Christmas and we were both very impressed with both the room and the service.

The room was modern and there were plenty of tolietries, coffee, teas and mineral water etc already in the room. We needed an iron and one was promptly brought to our room along with an ironing board.

The breakfast was good and we didn't have to wait more than 5 to 10 minutes for the 'Full English'.

We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful and can't thank them enough for making our stay so comfortable.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The pillows!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cjw26
Exeter Devon
Reviewed 20 September 2008

We recently stayed at this hotel which is situated in a residential area aproximately 5 miles from the city centre. There is a bus stop near by and it costs £1.50 to get into the city. A taxi is £9.
The room was perfectly aqequate and recently refurbished, no complaints there. The problem is as the previous writer stated is at breakfast time. We were asked what time you would like breakfast, we serve from 8am we got down at 8.15 and wanted a quick breakfast and get away as we had a long journey to Devon.
There was one member of staff serving cooking, doing everything and could not cope single handed even though he tried hard. We were the first people in the dining room and it took nearly an hour to get a cooked breakfast. We should just have had toast and cereal and got away.
Good value, comfortable room, short staffed and slow service.

• Liked — Recently refurbished room
  • Disliked — Slow service
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 15 September 2008

Stayed 1 night. Interesting old building. Rooms were adequate size and clean. Beds comfortable. No toiletries/soap provided. Staff friendly but grossly understaffed. Breakfast, booked the night before for 9am, did not arrive at the table until after 10 am. Table hadn't been set. Did not have enough clean spoons or bowls for cereal. Coffee undrinkable. Had to ask for everything- butter, milk, cutlery, glasses, more toast (brought 3 slices of toast for 9 people). Tea was cold by time cooked food arrived. No more was forthcoming. 2 tables of dirty crockery lay for the hour we were sitting there. Apart from breakfast, the experience was positive. Could be so much better with more staff and a bit of forward planning.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 3 June 2008

Visited the Liverpool area coming from Washington D.C. and stayed for four days and three nights at this very nice hotel. It is a very beautiful, old hotel accross from an ancient church that looks down into a subtle valley populated by surburban houses and green space. The area is suburban and not country. I find country hotels too remote and I get a bit bored. I found the setting of this hotel to be very tranquil and just what I wanted for my stay in Liverpool (I don't like staying in busy town centers either unless I have to). Easy and frequent access to Liverpool by bus is available down the road. The cooked English breakfast in the hotel was delicious and they alternatively offer cereal and juices for breakfast in a room off of the quaint pub. Lots of wood and a good selection of antique furniture make the surroundings very warm and inviting. My room was clean and spacious and had a nice modern bathroom and flat screen tv. Arriving on a beautiful sunny day, I observed people bowling on the green outside of my window. It made me feel like I was in old England. Staff in the hotel were friendly and helpful. They even let me stay beyond my check out time to accomodate my transportation issues. I did not experience any noise issues or anything negative from my stay in the hotel. The only challenge was trying to find a way to turn on the heated towel rail in the bathroom (I eventually found the switch). I didn't have any meals in the pub but people that I talked to said they were very good. I loved my trip to Liverpool and my stay in the Childwall Abbey Hotel. I will stay there again for a longer period of time when I return to Liverpool in a year or two ( I want to see what becomes of all of the construction going on). Great hotel, great price and great experience!!!!

• Liked — Very old and historic hotel. Great room, friendly staff and enjoyable cooked breakfast.
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything I disliked.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo